Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone

i have seen a thread in the past, but cant seem to find it again. i was hoping someone could point me in the direction, or offer a fresh perspective in the area of DIY projectors.

the project im really after (in a nutshell) is one where a person takes a laptop screen, modifies it, and places it on a simple overhead projector to display onto a screen.

have any of you heard of this? done this? i have some time on my hands, and an old laptop (screen still good) and want to play around with this.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chrisssss:
the project im really after (in a nutshell) is one where a person takes a laptop screen, modifies it, and places it on a simple overhead projector to display onto a screen.
I've experimented with this a bit, but with the LCD panels that were made for that purpose, not with a laptop screen.

Even with LCD panels made for it you're better off getting a used digital projector for around $1k.

With a laptop screen you'd have to figure out how to disassemble the screen and somehow mount it so that the overhead projector light shines through it. Since it's very fragile I think that's probably going to be a tough nut to crack.

And most LCD panels sold for the purpose are only 640x480 and suck lots of light (LOTS) from the overhead projector so you get a dim picture. Not to mention that the halide bulbs used in most projectors are drastically less accurate than even the worst digital projector (read: yellow picture), and that the bulbs are really just as expensive over time (e.g., bulb may cost $10 or $20 but last for only 50 hours).

Also, the whole assembly of overhead projector and panel is pretty cumbersome; you certainly can't just pick it up and put it on a coffee table like with a small digital projector.

So I'd say don't bother with the DIY route if you're expecting to get a great deal pricewise or to get a very good picture. You likely won't get either. It can be kind of fun, though. -- Herb

[This message has been edited by hsitz (edited 09-20-2001).]

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Laptop screens use a digital connection standard that is made by National Semiconductor. It is called Low Voltage Differential Signalling (LVDS) it is not a VGA type signal in any way. Also, the screen would not be able to handle the extreme heat of the light source.

THe types of overheads used for that were also High intensity machines with VERY high light output. they were not your standard 3M or BUHL products.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Check out: www.diyaudio.com

There is a thread in the forum on that site about a DIY projector. It is usually on the main page in the list of latest messages, but if it's not there check the General Forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.