AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading about some of those diy projector lcd boxes claiming to have longer life bulbs and better picture quality?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Not true on picture quality. I have demoed one against my A10x and it compares very favorably towards it. However, one must treat a diy pj more of a super-large monitor rather than a made-for-ht unit since the only it truly looks its best is with a fairly strong htpc.

As to pq, on a well-designed unit the images are smoother, but the contrast is equal to a 500-600:1 lcd, so blacks aren't deep blacks. Using ME, SS, or other grey-based material will help boost the contrast, since it needs it.

As to size, it's much closer in relative size to a crt, but the weight hovers around 40-50lbs. There's no zoom function, so it works on basically a fixed location renders a fixed size. Typically, the throw distance vs screen width is about 1:1. No keystone function (unless you angle the freshnels) so the image is a perfect triangle from lens to the screen.

It also runs hotter than a commercial, and the waf is pretty low, especially if you try to hang it. Some deisgns look better than others but for the most part its a 24x15x15 box

Victor

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
390 Posts
Actually, I've always thought about doing something like this just for the DIY aspect of it. I have a 15" LCD that I had picked up for $50 and don't really use. I just need to find a cheapy overhead projector from somewhere...

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
2,144 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMRA
Besides, who wants a 4x3 HT?
Aren't crt projectors 4x3? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor-eyd
Aren't crt projectors 4x3? :rolleyes:
Those fighten words!!!:) A CRT can be any aspect ratio you want. If you use 4:3, then you maximize raster.

I really don't understand DIY LCD projectors outside of the fun in building something aspect. They aren't going to compare to what you can get on the used market especially in CRT. I just sold a NEC PG9, which does 1280x720, for $500. Also, I recently saw a JVC G series DILA go for around $500 on ebay. If you scrounge, then you can usually find a CRT for under these prices as well.

Ericglo

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo
A CRT can be any aspect ratio you want.
Actually, any 4x3 projector can be whatever aspect ratio you want. It all comes down to either using screen masking, lens masking, or even using softwarelike ffdshow to force the screen to only display in, say, 16x9.

I have no doubt on the used market you can land for the cost of a diy, a very good crt or even a good digital. Ultimately, it falls on the owner to determine how much he's willing to compromise on the negatives of each in order to enjoy the positives. No format is better (or worse) than the other. Why else would we have as many forums on different types (and prices) on pj's as well as screen choice(diy or commercial).

There's enough fun for everyone out there. Enjoy your big screen image! :D

Victor

·
Registered
12,981 Posts
Victor,

I do agree that there are positives and negatives to each type. My problem is the new person thinking he is going to be getting a better performing pj from DIY at lower cost than what he can get on the used market. I say this because I looked into DIY as a less expensive alternative. At the time, digitals were still relatively expensive on the used market (not as bad now) and thought the idea had merit. Then I found CRTs and did a lot of research. I realized that a DIY could never match the picture of a good CRT. I then found and bought a couple CRTs. My best price was a working PG6 on ebay for $85. If someone is doing this for fun or hobby, then that is great. If you are looking at DIY to save money, then I think there are better alternatives.

Ericglo

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Ericglo,

No harm, no foul. PQ will always be a debatable subject, regardless of type used. I, too, agree that once properly configured, a crt is practically unbeatable in picture quality.

All I wanted to prove was that diy is, at the very least (and again, once properly setup) comparable to a XGA lcd projector, except that's its bigger, needs a HTPC or similar to really look good, and runs pretty warm. Also, a much longer lasting lamp. The blacks are still low compared to dlp blacks, but the image is very smooth, even at 100"

Victor

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So then crt projectors have a longer bulb life than lcd? Excuse my question if it sounds a bit newbyish because I am just discovering the world of projection displays. Lou

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by louthewiz
So then crt projectors have a longer bulb life than lcd? Excuse my question if it sounds a bit newbyish because I am just discovering the world of projection displays. Lou

CRTs don't use bulbs (which is why they have much better blacks). They use Cathode Ray Tubes and they can last quite a bit longer.

·
Registered
12,981 Posts
louthewiz,

Read Curt Palme's Primer . It will give you a good starting point on CRTs. If you want to find out all the advantages and disadvantages, then go over to the CRT forum and poke around.

Incidently, Kamel stated in another thread that I may have some CRTs to sell. Well, I only have three projectors. I have a Sony 1292 that doesn't work, a NEC XG 110LC with burned tubes and a NEC PG9+ that works. I use the PG and the other two are projects, so I will leave the reselling to others.

Ericglo

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
CRT tubes come in either blue, green, or red. They can last anywhere from 6-8000hrs in a best case scenario. Prices can be anywhere between $200-$1000 per tube

DLP/LCD uses lamps and can last anywhere between 2000-5000hrs depending on lamp. Some lamps even go further into the 8k hrs range. Prices can be between $200-500 depending on pj.

DIY pj relies on a 250 or 400w Metal Halide bulb (similar to street lamps) and have useful life of around 10k hrs. Cost, around $30.00 per bulb.

But it very important that this criteria should not be the only basis of your decision on one pj or another, There are other factors just as important (pq, dependability, ease of use, etc.).

YMMV

Victor

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.