AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently upgraded to a DaLite High Power (see here) and love it. I know others on this forum have also shown a lot of interest in the high power as well. But, there's been very little talk about DIY retroreflective screens, except for a series of threads several months ago by someone who was experimenting with painting with glass beads. Obviously, getting a good result is pretty tough (as for me, I can't even get a good even coat without the glass beads). But, that's not the end of the story...

I did a little hunting on google and I found out that several manufacturers sell sheets of retroreflective materials, such as 3M's Scotchlite product line. Mostly, these products are sold for highway signs, traffic cones, etc. There seem to be several types with different gains and prices. A PDF document that describes many of these materials is here . Costs range from less than $1 per square foot to several dollars per square foot. Some are flexible and some aren't. Some have patterns that would make them bad for screen use, but some would probably work pretty well.

Downsides: 1). I can't find anybody who makes wider than 48 inches. Five feet would be better for many of us. 2). Sheets seem to come in rolls of 50 yards (ouch!). I don't know if there's a way to get smaller rolls or cut pieces.

Anybody else have any experience/interest in these materials?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.