AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be getting a NEC HT1000 and am trying to figure out what to do for a screen. Down the road I might purchase a screen, but for right now to save money, I'd like to make my own.

The parkland plastics sounds really good, however I'd like to have a 6' x 8' screen (120" diag 4:3). Do they make the sheets this big? If not what are my other options?

I will be finishing our basement so, I could just paint a section of the drywall, what color would you recommend for this projector? There will be no windows in this room, so light shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump. Any advice for a screen for an NEC HT1000?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'd suggest making a frame out of 1x4's and then buying the Dalite HCCV fabric by the sq ft.

Stretch the fabric over the 1x4's and secure it to the back. I used duct tape which has worked fantastic. At first, I stapled it but I had wrinkles. So I pulled the staples and re did it. Developed wrinkles again so I pulled the staples again. I decided to try the duct tape and it worked perfectly and allowed me to pull the fabric tighter and tape it without it coming loose in the process.

Getting the fabric tight is important to keep from having waves/wrinkles.

After stretching the vinyl, I attached moulding around the outer edge (painted black).

I then built a frame out of 1/6's and covered them in black felt to go around the screen frame. This absorbs the light spill from 4:3 projectors.

This frame isn't attached to anything, it just sits on the screen which is hung on the wall with 2 heavy duty picture hangers.

Pics here:
http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...papass=&sort=1

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much did the Dalite HCCV fabric cost?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Contact Jason here at AVS for pricing on the fabric.

I'm actually just using a matte white screen but from what I've read and the sample I have, I'd recommend the HCCV.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Innova and WatchThis:

If you assume that you are going to lose about 4-6" inches in each dimesion when you wrap it around the frame, then figure 102" for the width as being the max. Maybe more, depending on how much the sheet will stretch. So, yes, you can make an 4:3 screen that is 8' wide, with 3" on either side for masking.

I bought a low thread count white queen flat sheet at Walmart for about $4. This gives me about 7' or so width. Kings aren't that much more.

It is imperative that you paint a screen made from linen sheet. I almost fell over when I saw the difference after doing so.

HTH,

Gerald

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.