AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I completed my screen, which is a 1 frame job with the BO cloth splined on the backside. It looks like one side might be off square by about 3mm from top to bottom. Is this going to be a major, what would be the best setup? Should I have the projection set to inside the frame leaving a 3mm gap between the projection and the frame, or should I overlap the 3mm difference by projecting the bottom corner slightly over the frame?

Thanks.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Xcited1
I completed my screen, which is a 1 frame job with the BO cloth splined on the backside. It looks like one side might be off square by about 3mm from top to bottom. Is this going to be a major, what would be the best setup? Should I have the projection set to inside the frame leaving a 3mm gap between the projection and the frame, or should I overlap the 3mm difference by projecting the bottom corner slightly over the frame?

Thanks.
3mm? Being anal, I'd take the frame apart and fix it, but if you don't want to do that, I'd have it "overscan" by the 3mm so it fills the frame. If the border is a good dark black (velvet for instance) you won't notice the spill and it'll look great. You're not going to miss that tiny sliver of picture. Many people overscan their frames by a couple millemeters anyway...

- Cryo

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cryofax, that was my thought to. But currently i am not using velvet, I have simply painted the wood frame matte black for the mean time until I can get some velvet.

Is the overscan option in the x1 related to this type of overscan method?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Cryofax, that was my thought to. But currently i am not using velvet, I have simply painted the wood frame matte black for the mean time until I can get some velvet.

Is the overscan option in the x1 related to this type of overscan method?
Don't own an X1, so I don't know (I've got the L300U), but I would just use the zoom lens to fill the frame. Try your overscan option and see what it does, though it probably just sends some of the image outside of the defined size of the picture (and thus you don't see it).

- Cryo

·
Registered
483 Posts
i overscan my image (panny 300u) on all four aspects (top, bottom and sides). With a 45 degree tapered black velvet border (doesn't just sit at 90 degrees to the screen edge), it makes the image look extremely sharp and I can't see the overscan at all when watching a movie.

You won't even see the 3mm!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the overscan wont work with a painted border? Is velvet the only way to go?

So you lose a few mm of the picture, I guess thats not a lot in the big scheme of things, and from what Im hearing you all say is that it will create a sharper image.

·
Registered
483 Posts
it will work, it's just that the paint, even if matt black, will be more likely to reflect than the velvet will. Some have used felt....I used 16oz black velour from rose brand in NY. Stapled it to the backside of the masking frame and then screwed the masking frame to the screen frame. Looks very professional too.

Re the overscan, you won't miss what you can't see....hence the need to absorb as much of the overscan as possible. If there was a hint of you being able to see it, it would annoy you!! Also, I think that the production houses cut off certain parts of the movie too to fit the DVD format.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
So the overscan wont work with a painted border? Is velvet the only way to go?

So you lose a few mm of the picture, I guess thats not a lot in the big scheme of things, and from what Im hearing you all say is that it will create a sharper image.
Paint is okay, but velvet is way better. It absolutely absorbs and kills light on it. Try taking the blackest black paint you have, hold it up next to black velvet, and it will look gray in comparison...

- Cryo

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So if I use paint, wont I see the overlapped image on the paint? I would think so, and I would have thought so ever with velvet. Perhaps Im not getting how to set it up correctly.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
So if I use paint, wont I see the overlapped image on the paint? I would think so, and I would have thought so ever with velvet. Perhaps Im not getting how to set it up correctly.
Try it and see. A tiny overlap may not be noticed. I know it won't with velvet.

- Cryo

·
Registered
79 Posts
does it really matter ? ....half the time you go to the cinema the picture has the edge projection onto a curtain or a wall.

dont want to seem harsh or rude, but I would be more worried about using BO cloth than being out 3mm ! maybe its just me, but I took the picture qaulity route over being a little out on the projected image

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.