AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help in selecting the distance of the projector, size of screen and color of paint. The projector will be set up in the garage and used to watch tv and movies. I purchased a ViewSonic PJD5123 SVGA DLP Projector. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopersmom /forum/post/20859332

I need help in selecting the distance of the projector, size of screen and color of paint. The projector will be set up in the garage and used to watch tv and movies. I purchased a ViewSonic PJD5123 SVGA DLP Projector. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Coopersmom.

Well, that's a pretty entry level PJ. Any chance you can exchange/ return it? It's "ages old" tech...and a native 800 x 600 4:3 format. There isn't much content you'll be watching in 4:3 these days, so that will leave a lot of usable screen space "un-used"

I realize you bought the Viewsonic at under $500.00, but there are several 1280 x 800 Widescreen PJs available at around$5-600.00

But addressing you request....let's say you opt to switch over to 16:9 mode on the 5123. You could roll on a medium shade of Gray Paint across an area marked off at 106" x 60", and paint out a 10" wide Black Border all around to help mitigate the unused light spillage.

At that size, your PJ must be mounted between 17' 6" and 18', and the center of the lens must be 21" above the top edge of the Screen

Drop Screen size down to 110" diagonal and the screen dimensions become 96" x 54", the Black Border is 9" all around, and the distance is 16.5'. lens center must be 10.8" above the top of the Screen.

The latter specified data will result in a very vivid image that will be watchable under most any lighting save opening the garage door at Mid-day.

Try to place the screen's top edge at 20" down from the juncture of the ceiling/wall to avoid excessive light reflection off the ceiling.

Good luck....the info provided will get you where you can/out to go with what you already have. But should you decide to bump up a bit....we'll be ready to optimize whatever choice you make.

MM

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the help. I choose the 5123 due to price, I found it for around 300. It's our first projector setup and wanted something affordable for us.

Is there any certain color grey you would recommend? I'll be going to Home Depot to purchase paint. I'm assuming I'll need something darker than the Silver Screen that I have read people using.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts
Good Morning,

1st, check the "Guide to Simple DIY Screens" and on the 2nd page is a listing of varios Neutral Grays. There are ones that are specific to Behr paints. Choose a 7.0 or 7.5 shade, and use Behr Premium Plus Ultra Medium Base.

That paint will roll on quite well using a 3/8" Nap toller

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks MississippiMan for your help, but now I'm confused..lol. I read over DIY for Beginners, do I take the calculations into Home Depot?

Xrite N7 Quart Tint Ultra Dark Gray

0 15 1 Lamp Black

0 3 1 Brown Oxide

0 1 1 Medium Yellow

Sorry to be a pain and a newbie, just trying to figure everything out.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopersmom /forum/post/20861516

Thanks MississippiMan for your help, but now I'm confused..lol. I read over DIY for Beginners, do I take the calculations into Home Depot?

Xrite N7 Quart Tint Ultra Dark Gray

0 15 1 Lamp Black

0 3 1 Brown Oxide

0 1 1 Medium Yellow

Sorry to be a pain and a newbie, just trying to figure everything out.

Yes...however the Paint Terch must know how to enter those figures manually.

They represent 1/64 hundreths of an ounce

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay I went to Home Depot today and the tech could not mix the paint up. Said their new system does not mix at 1/64 hunredths of an ounce. I picked up some paint samples:

Going right to left - Silver Screen, Pewter Mug, Dark Pewter, and Antique Tin. Any suggestions on which color to use? I would like to get the screen up this weekend. Thanks for any help I receive.

CoopersMom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.