AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 16x9 Stewart Filmscreen with the stock (beveled) black aluminum frame. The surface of the screen is slightly recessed relative to the face of the frame.

I have a few ideas with regard to temporarily mounting fabricated masking panels for 2.4:1 viewing. My question is does it matter if the mask panels are temporarily positioned and secured to the outside face of the frame? In this case there would be a small gap between the backs of the masking panels and the surface of the screen. I'm guessing the best case scenario would be to have the masks sit flush with the screen? If so mounting would be a bit more complex.

Thanks.

-paul.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Depending how high above your screen's top the projector is mounted, the masking being farther away could leave a visible shadow/line across the top edge of your screen.
It should be fairly thin either way and there's a chance you won't even notice..you might try testing things by hanging something simple like a sheet so the bottom hangs where your top masking will lay and see if you are bothered by the shadow.

Masking at some large theaters is quite a distance from the screen, so depending how high your projector is mounted, you might even be perfectly fine.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,841 Posts
Does your PJ have Lens shift? If so, you should concentrate on masking only the top part of the screen.
The Top half can easily be masked using Black Velvet Pull Curtains.

Start messin' around with that Stewart screen surface and you'll potentially have a expensive replacement going.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
^^^That too. Having the masking at the frame's front instead of against the screen itself will mean much less risk of accidentally scuffing the screen surface.

My masking (needed both top+bottom because I don't have automatic lens-shift) sticks forward about an inch where it meets the screen and you wouldn't even be able to tell.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depending how high above your screen's top the projector is mounted, the masking being farther away could leave a visible shadow/line across the top edge of your screen.
It should be fairly thin either way and there's a chance you won't even notice..you might try testing things by hanging something simple like a sheet so the bottom hangs where your top masking will lay and see if you are bothered by the shadow.

Masking at some large theaters is quite a distance from the screen, so depending how high your projector is mounted, you might even be perfectly fine.
Thank you for the response. Projector lens is a few inches below the top edge of the screen. I will install some sort of temporary mask and see how it turns out before moving forward with the actual build.

Thanks again.

-paul.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does your PJ have Lens shift? If so, you should concentrate on masking only the top part of the screen.
The Top half can easily be masked using Black Velvet Pull Curtains.

Start messin' around with that Stewart screen surface and you'll potentially have a expensive replacement going.
I didn't think of using the lens shift and masking only the top of the screen. projector has manual lens shift, so this wouldn't be viable.

If I do this the brackets that would support the upper and lower mattes would be secured to the wall and not the Stewart's frame. Like you said I wouldn't want to risk damaging the screen/frame itself.

Thanks for the help.

-paul.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^^That too. Having the masking at the frame's front instead of against the screen itself will mean much less risk of accidentally scuffing the screen surface.

My masking (needed both top+bottom because I don't have automatic lens-shift) sticks forward about an inch where it meets the screen and you wouldn't even be able to tell.
Understood and thanks again.

-paul.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Thank you for the response. Projector lens is a few inches below the top edge of the screen. I will install some sort of temporary mask and see how it turns out before moving forward with the actual build.

Thanks again.

-paul.
You're in great shape then. With the lens being a little below like that, you won't have to worry about a shadow..a mask that is a bit forward of the screen should still look great during viewing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're in great shape then. With the lens being a little below like that, you won't have to worry about a shadow..a mask that is a bit forward of the screen should still look great during viewing.
Cool and thanks. I'll need to sift through all the threads to find out what fabric everyone is using and where to order it. I'm guessing it's a flat black velour/velvet ...

-paul.

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
I'm just using black polyester+cotton cloth and the results look quite nice. The above mentioned velvet should be simultaneously affordable AND give peak blackout performance..also great for treating the ceiling and walls near the screen against reflection.
Dark paint is farther than many go, fabric is even better, a nice velvet is the bees knees!
Masking is a fantastic upgrade for 2.39 films, so this should be a nice visible improvement. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts