AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow! Lots of good reading! Glad I found this group before I spent $1000 on a screen. Here are my questions... :)

1. I have a leftover sheet of 1/2" drywall. Could I use this for my screen instead of a frame and blackout material if painted with ultrawhite? Or would there be to many imperfections?

2. Would Kilz White Primer work as good as the other primers mentined here for painting screens (the drywall or blackout material)? Have a lot of that. :) If not, what could I pick up at Home Depot/Menards that would work the best (not looking for Gesso right now). Something I can walk in and say "hey, where's ?"

3. My screen size is going to be 80x45 (91" diag) for 16:9. If "Yes" to #1, would it be best to cut the width of this down or leave it? I guess what I'm asking, does it hurt to have a bigger screen than the viewing area?

4. I will be mounting my screen to a brick wall. What would be the best method for doing this? I'm not that experiences screwing into brick. I am guessing screwing a 2x4 or 1x4 into the wall at the top/bottom and sides, then mounting the screen to that by screwing the frame into that wood. (I think I saw brick screws at Menards/Home Depot)

5. Going shopping for a PJ unit tommorow. What "necessities" should I look for? I probably won't be using a PC for the DVD processing off the bat, just a DVD, X-Box, DSS for now with a Kenwood KR-X1000 for the main unit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bvstone
1. I have a leftover sheet of 1/2" drywall. Could I use this for my screen instead of a frame and blackout material if painted with ultrawhite? Or would there be to many imperfections?

Some have done this. Most have done it directly on existing walls. If you haven't yet, search & you'll find answers.

Quote:
3. My screen size is going to be 80x45 (91" diag) for 16:9. If "Yes" to #1, would it be best to cut the width of this down or leave it? I guess what I'm asking, does it hurt to have a bigger screen than the viewing area?

I've heard described both ways. If you keep the full sheet, be prepared to mask the unused part.

Quote:
4. I will be mounting my screen to a brick wall. What would be the best method for doing this? I'm not that experiences screwing into brick. I am guessing screwing a 2x4 or 1x4 into the wall at the top/bottom and sides, then mounting the screen to that by screwing the frame into that wood. (I think I saw brick screws at Menards/Home Depot)

You can find masonry bits at hardware supply stores. The salespeople can usually point you in the right direction.

Quote:
5. Going shopping for a PJ unit tommorow. What "necessities" should I look for? I probably won't be using a PC for the DVD processing off the bat, just a DVD, X-Box, DSS for now with a Kenwood KR-X1000 for the main unit.

Go puruse the DLP forum. Price point will set your available options & performance. If you haven't started researching yet, you have a lot of reading to do first. :)

Thanks! [/b][/quote]

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, got my frame built, my screen installed and my coat of primer put on. Here's my progress so far:

http://www.bvstools.com/pics/basement.html

The screen turned out REALLY nice. And it was inexpensive enough to just recover when I wanted. Or use that other harder material that has been mentioned you can get at Home depot.

I made the fram 3/4" wider on ever end so I can from just to the edge of the 1x4s that I used. Should work out very nicely. :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
As fro a screen using drywall, it can be done quite well, since yours isn't bigger than one sheet, it should be rather easy.

I would not see why kills would not work.

As for a PJ, Do your research, I personaly went through the process...

My limit was $2600, I had to have a native resolution of 1024x768, and wanted DLP, and as bright as i could get for the money and as good of a contrast rating as I could get... Im using a HTPC for playback so the built in scalers were of no concern to me.

For testing I was using a Plus U2-X2000, this was a 2000 luman 650:1 contrast and cost about $5K..Liked the results but could not afford it.

What I ended up getting was a Sharp M20X:

1024x768

DLP 3x color wheel

1900 lumans

1000:1 contrast ratio

Price $2544 (free shipping) Online retailer.

I have not recieved it yet but, after looking at the remarks on this board... I have a feeling I will be very very happy.

The PJ decision was the hardest descision to make in the whole HT process as funds are hard to come by and most of the rest of the things can be done by myself and cost little or nothing to do.

Best of luck

Jason

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.