AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to get started building my screen... I've read a bunch of of the articles about building screens, but need a tad more info. The screen material I will be using is similar to da-lite cinema vision/pearlescent (same thickness, etc). I'm concerned with how the material will attach to the frame. I was planning on using plenty of staples, but I'm afraid this material will rip out -- how much tension should I put on it? Should I use contact cement in combonation with staples, or?

Will the screen stay taught over time, or will it need to be re-tensioned every so often??

Thanks,

--Eric

·
Registered
82 Posts
staples WILL tear vinyl under tension.

1.5 % is good for tension, could do more maybe.

I actually got 3% with no ill effects but I had 30 feet of rope lighting inside

the frame to make it softer. (heat)

I used duct tape to grab and stretch and then stapled through it to act as

a cushion and stress relief for the vinyl. double duct tape can't hurt

I can't tell you anything intelligent about longevity because

I only did this 4 days ago. works so far. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was afraid it might be a pain... I was thinking that some good contact cement would help take some of the load off the staples and help keep them from ripping -- but then it becomes even more of a pain if/when I have to re-tension it.

--Eric

·
Registered
28 Posts
You guys really need to find a better solution to attach your screen material to your frame. Using staple may be a good solution. But in the long run, how do you retention it? What would happen if the staples rip

your screen material?

I can't say my solution is the best one. But here how I did mine.

I built two frames. One outer frame is made of 2x2 wood. One smaller frame just barely fit inside of the bigger frame using 1x1 aluminum tube.

I sandwiched my screen material between the two frames and screwed the two frame together using screw. Three months down the road, you need to retention your screen, unscrew a few screws and you are done.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
>>>>>>>>You guys really need to find a better solution to attach your screen material

Hence why I asked the question... Can you elaborate more on the 'double frame', and how it allows you to re-tension the screen? I just cant picture how you get enough stretch out of the screen by only slipping a larger frame over a smaller one... (got any pics???)

--Eric

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
I'm on my second DIY stretch and staple screen - I did the first one about 3 years ago with blackout cloth, and it never needed retensioning. I had to do the first half again due to some ripples being present (immediately after doing the second half), but even after two sets of staples, it has never ripped.

After replacing my DLS8 with an HT1000, I found that running in eco mode with the iris shut gave a dimmer image (obviously). I needed 1.2 to 1.3 gain to regain what I had lost.

I bought some 1.2 gain screen material, and stapled that over the top of the blackout cloth, and used the same stretching technique as before. We had no problems with the 'proper' material, and it's been up 2 months or more now. Pics of the first screen are on my home page if you're interested.

HTH

Gary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.