AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might as well ask... lets say I want a "flat" ( curved would be asking alot ) screen 110" wide 54" tall ( numbers made up in a hurry )...

AND

I want to make this screen split up / roll up / fold up... so it can be moved from place to place... like moving to a new apartment.

Take down / put up time is not an issue...

Time to contruct this screen from scratch is not an issue...

The only issue is not having to Build a nice new screen if I move...

Currently I live in an apartment with a good sized room for a HT but down a winding hallway, stairwell, angled doorway... you get the point... I don't think a 4x8 sheet of plywood can make the trip. ;)

To simplify the project say it's final size ( piece, or pieces ) can only be 2' x 5' x 1' so it can be moved around like a standard bookshelf... When put back together the screen should have no "visible" seams ( like down the middle and such )...

Any thoughts on a DYI screen like this?

I am interested in IDEAS ONLY...

I realize it is more practical, less of a headache & cheaper to buy an electric screen.... BUT I love a challenge... and this forum is proof others do as well.

TIA, lordContrary

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Suggestion:

Buy BOC or Dazian screen material. Cut to size if necessary. Affix to the wall with Velcro. Roll the screen up when you're ready to move. It will only be a 54" tall roll. Unroll when you get somewhere else and put back up. My Dazian is being suspended on the wall just fine with a single 1 inch strip of regular Velcro.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well... that was really easy... curved screen too? :D

( well, I should have been more specific in my post... all this talk about painting screens with fancy paint formula's got me stuck with the idea the screens were build -well SOLID- with no intention of ever moving them... forgot about the cloth! )

So, now that my brain in functioning again... what about curved screen and cloth?

Going with the velcro suggestion... shape two boards ( for top and bottom ) which will act to give the screen it's curved shape...and run velcro along the entire length's... then attach screen... would this work?

I have no material... and have no idea how heavy it is... would this be enough to hold a nice curve shape... or is stretching required?

If Yes it must be stretched... how and can it then be removed ( so frame can be knocked down and rebuilt somewhere else? )

LordContrary

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordContrary
Might as well ask... lets say I want a "flat" ( curved would be asking alot ) screen 110" wide 54" tall ( numbers made up in a hurry )...

AND

I want to make this screen split up / roll up / fold up... so it can be moved from place to place... like moving to a new apartment.

Take down / put up time is not an issue...

Time to contruct this screen from scratch is not an issue...

The only issue is not having to Build a nice new screen if I move...

Currently I live in an apartment with a good sized room for a HT but down a winding hallway, stairwell, angled doorway... you get the point... I don't think a 4x8 sheet of plywood can make the trip. ;)

To simplify the project say it's final size ( piece, or pieces ) can only be 2' x 5' x 1' so it can be moved around like a standard bookshelf... When put back together the screen should have no "visible" seams ( like down the middle and such )...

Any thoughts on a DYI screen like this?

I am interested in IDEAS ONLY...

I realize it is more practical, less of a headache & cheaper to buy an electric screen.... BUT I love a challenge... and this forum is proof others do as well.

TIA, lordContrary
Check out:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=617607

for a DIY electric roll-up screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.