1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan /forum/post/14282500

Bill,

Shervin is getting very low with similar sealed cubes, but he uses a BFD or Basis IIRC.

How many Maelstroms-X are you looking to do?

You might want to start a thread, I almost missed this.

I currently have 2 HSU 3.3's (selling for 950 for the pair + shipping) running in Max Output mode and a 15" Dayton Audio sub that i put together from a kit. I get plenty of sub when playing Open Range or War of the Worlds pod scene (107dbl) but it lacks that certain depth that only a large sub can give. I have engaged the 15 to 25hz lift on my Anti Mode 8033 for more omph but even that won't give me the sound I'm looking for. So I'm looking to go with a Dayton HPSA1000 1000W Subwoofer Amplifier, http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-808 and a Maelstrom-X with the 24" cube that you did for Spezzy. I'm hoping to get into Conquest territory with it. Not knowing anything about the science of configuring subwoofers and with your design, how deep (hz down) will my wants go in a sealed configuration? I will start with one build and eventually build a total of 3 units.

Bill

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Bill,

it's better to go with lower cost EP2500's if you are going to go with Maelstrom-X's. 600 watts really is not enough to cover the shelving filter boost you need in the low end to flatten things out, a seriously limiting factor if you've only got 600 watts. EP2500's are available all the time for $298 delivered from DJDeals.com, add to that a DEQ2496 or Bassis and you are golden.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan /forum/post/14283143

Bill,

it's better to go with lower cost EP2500's if you are going to go with Maelstrom-X's. 600 watts really is not enough to cover the shelving filter boost you need in the low end to flatten things out, a seriously limiting factor if you've only got 600 watts. EP2500's are available all the time for $298 delivered from DJDeals.com, add to that a DEQ2496 or Bassis and you are golden.

OK. The sealed configuration will get down to how many hz? I want to get to at least 18hz.

Bill

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yea I was looking at that combo too, but only for one second. Once I found out that the Dayton 1000watt amp was the same price as the EP2500 (you can find the EP2500 cheaper like Dan stated), I dropped that thought and am going to stick with the Behringer. According to Dan, djdeals is pretty good with their customer service too so far haha. Not to be OT, but those DEQ2496, Bassis, eD EQ, etc help you smooth out the response and could possibly help you bring more output in the lower registers? Then things like the DSP1124, SMS-1, etc. help you get rid of unwanted resonances due to the room?

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
you should consider these points:

a) a single maelstrom may get you to 15hz, depending on your room, but the output level down there wont be conquest like. If you want conquest like performance under 25hz, you will need two maelstroms. ported will always win the SPL battle, mano a mano, vs a sealed in the low end.

b) you will need a DEQ2496 or Marchand BASSIS to boost the sub 20hz. i'd get the 2496 because you can use it up as both the L/T boost and PEQ.

c) forget the dayton amp. seriously. You need some good power to really get the best performance. For example, a QSC plx3602 or american audio V5001 will give you an extra 6dB from 15hz down until rolloff at 5hz with clean headroom. these maelstroms can take it.

here is what 4 did:

here is what 3 did:

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Shervin,

it might be useful to post your EQ curves to give OP an idea of how much power is needed to retain headroom above and beyond the boost.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
So I'm looking to go with a Dayton HPSA1000 1000W Subwoofer Amplifier

The dayton amp measure poorly in Chuck measuring thread. I think at 4 ohms he only could get around 560W so its no where near the rated 1000W.

I just sold my dayton amp on ebay. The better plate amp choice is the LT/1300 from elemental designs. I built a sealed 3 cuft sub with the LT/1300 and a TC2K 15" driver. I have not calibrated it but the initial results are pretty good, although Im using it for 40Hz - 80Hz, its behind my seating and its there to fix a room null.

btw, somewhere online, EP2500s go for around $230+ shipping.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
 www.audiolines.com

search for Behringer Ep2500, its actually $239 not $230. its open box, demo product and I have no idea about any warranty. I also do not speak for the site, I have yet to purchase anything from them. I was going to buy a samson PG3800 from them.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
It's a decent price but the $40.74 in shipping for UPS ground to me in Ohio kinda killed it for me. I figured why not go for the extra $10 and get a new one.

What are the shipping charges to you?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
What are the shipping charges to you?

dont know but when I ordered the Samson amp, they were open to negotiating over the phone so Im sure something can be done.

You are right though, just get a new one @ $280. They are all cheap!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts