AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I am setting up a new room over the next few weeks and am going to build a 130 inch diagonal screen for a new basement theater room, likely will purchase an Epson 5040UB projector.

I live in Canada was was wondering if anyone can help me identify how much spandex I need and where to buy it? Is it the general consensus that 2 layers of white on top of one layer of black backing spandex is ideal for picture quality while still staying AT? Thanks

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi - I am setting up a new room over the next few weeks and am going to build a 130 inch diagonal screen for a new basement theater room, likely will purchase an Epson 5040UB projector.

I live in Canada was was wondering if anyone can help me identify how much spandex I need and where to buy it? Is it the general consensus that 2 layers of white on top of one layer of black backing spandex is ideal for picture quality while still staying AT? Thanks
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/3023586-spandex-screen-planning-help.html
https://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/796
https://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/795

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,534 Posts

Absolutely not!

There is only 1 Layer of White Milliskin over on Layer of Black Milliskin.

If your going with a 50" x 120" 130" diagonal 2.39:1 screen you will need 4 Yards ea. (length) to be safe. Also 4 Yards ea. if 130" 16:9 (113" x 64")

The latter is going to require very close to the maximum amount of stretching vertically, so you must either get the 4-way stretch Milliskin or use the larger sized 120" Spandex.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the note - I'll have to see what the local fabric stores, hopefully the 4 way stretch as I don't want to go less than 128 inches 16:9. If the spandex doesnt go all the way around the frams to the back I will buy some velvet strips to attach to the top and sides of the frame.

In terms of making the frame I am planning on using 2x2's with 1x2's for the vertical and horizontal supports. I'll put some kind of quarter round or finishing piece to make sure the spandex doesn't sit on the 2x2's. I am going to build two goal posts as a structure on the front stage and attach hinges so I can lift the screen up if I need to get behind it. Does that sound like a solid plan generally???

I have an Epson 5040 which will sit as close as possible, ~13ft for a 130 inch screen which will hopefully help with brightness. Hopefully HDR will look good even though the screen would have less than 1.0 gain.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I bought my Spandex from Fabricland, Matte White and black. Very stretchy, extremely fine weave, seems to be reasonably color accurate compared to a Draper white vinyl screen.
I had once posted close ups so the DIY guru's could give it the eyeball in comparison to the recommended Spandex World material but now can't find the pictures.
As you are in Canada it might be a cheaper solution if you have a Fabricland close by. Just wait for it to go on sale. $16/meter I think, but that was several years ago.
Shipping and brokerage from Spandexworld to Canada really stings.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called Fabricland yesterday and they do have a white and a black material in stock, apparently it is aalled "activewear" spandex. I cant remember the breakdown she gave however I think it was 80% nylon, 20% spandex......Does anyone know if this would work and whether it stretched 4 ways? Hopefully fine for the sound getting through. Sounds quite expensive as well, $35 a yard!

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,534 Posts
The material to spandex ratio is correct, but the price is stupid High!
With it coming in at that price point you could almost assuredly order from the Stateside locations at 8.50 per yard and even including shipping and VAT still come out ahead

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick question - I bought the spandex tonight (luckily was 40% off). As the material is 60 inches high what ia the maximum size screen I could likely do. I think the spandex easily stretches to 66 so was thinking of a 62 inch height to give 2 inches to wrap around the screen frame. Can i go bigger without getting vertical stretch marks.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,534 Posts
Quick question - I bought the spandex tonight (luckily was 40% off). As the material is 60 inches high what ia the maximum size screen I could likely do. I think the spandex easily stretches to 66 so was thinking of a 62 inch height to give 2 inches to wrap around the screen frame. Can i go bigger without getting vertical stretch marks.

Ina perfect world, 20% Spandex should stretch 20% of the width / height. However that means with a 60" height limitation, you do your calculations based on that measurement.

So 20% of 60" = 12"

Using all of that might be stretching things too far (...yeah...I said it....) so 66" is well within acceptable norms (Spandex World usually starts at 58") Now just the same, 5" each way would also be OK.....the real trick being achieving an equal amount of stretch across the length of the Frame.

If one takes 66" high (+ 2" stretched and stapled each way) that would allow for a 16:9 screen that would be 117" wide. 20% of 117" would be 23.4" so a stretch of 11" each way would equalize everything.

You just have to adjust the figures using the same math, and if you want "safe"....use 15% as your common denominator.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The spandex screen worked out great, ended up using 1x3's with two vertical supports. The screen looks great, watching avengers in HDR was a bit too dull even though its a new epson 5040 with the projector positioned only 14ft back however I think thats more so a projector issue than the screen. I wonder if having a slightly higher gain screen would have a big impact???

Attachments

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,534 Posts
The spandex screen worked out great, ended up using 1x3's with two vertical supports. The screen looks great, watching avengers in HDR was a bit too dull even though its a new epson 5040 with the projector positioned only 14ft back however I think thats more so a projector issue than the screen. I wonder if having a slightly higher gain screen would have a big impact???

Nope......as far as the culprit for a duller HDR experience, that majority of the blame goes onto the Screen's 0.7 gain shoulders. With a tiny bit owing to the fact that the Epson 5040ub is not known to be a sterling HDR performer anyway.

Yep.....a higher Gain surface would always have a big impact. You can easily prove this to yourself by zooming in to as small an image as your throw will allow (68" diagonal) and watch how much brighter the HDR images will be. You will not have increased the Screen's gain, but you will have drastically improved the Lumen-to-Foot Lambert ratio. Based on a .07 gain surface and the 5040's output at 14' onto a 68" diagonal surface, you will be blasting the Spandex with enough light to achieve fully 86 foot lamberts.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope......as far as the culprit for a duller HDR experience, that majority of the blame goes onto the Screen's 0.7 gain shoulders. With a tiny bit owing to the fact that the Epson 5040ub is not known to be a sterling HDR performer anyway.

Yep.....a higher Gain surface would always have a big impact. You can easily prove this to yourself by zooming in to as small an image as your throw will allow (68" diagonal) and watch how much brighter the HDR images will be. You will not have increased the Screen's gain, but you will have drastically improved the Lumen-to-Foot Lambert ratio. Based on a .07 gain surface and the 5040's output at 14' onto a 68" diagonal surface, you will be blasting the Spandex with enough light to achieve fully 86 foot lamberts.
Thanks i'll certainly try that to see the difference. I was just doing some calibrations to see what works best and I found one setting that works well and isnt crazy dark with using the auto (bright). I put the projector nearly as close as I=the throw ratio allows for a 130 inch screen. if I feel I absolutely need a ~1.0 gain AT screen perhaps I could try another material like an elite screens or elunevision - I do like the smoothness of the spandex however.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The main culprit is the color of the floor, and the deck. It reflects light back on the screen. Just for testing. Try covering the deck and floor, with a dark blanket. It looks from the picture, that the ceiling is darker. If that helps, and sure you will see a difference. You could get a rug for the floor in front. I know how WAF works. The rug will help with acoustics also.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The main culprit is the color of the floor, and the deck. It reflects light back on the screen. Just for testing. Try covering the deck and floor, with a dark blanket. It looks from the picture, that the ceiling is darker. If that helps, and sure you will see a difference. You could get a rug for the floor in front. I know how WAF works. The rug will help with acoustics also.
Thanks for the note - As a next step i'm going to carpet the stage area and then put panels around the screen to frame it in. I was planning on finding a dark grey carpet to match the walls which I hope will help with light reflection. Do you have any recommendations on what carpet I should look out for? Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
thx for the great threads. i built my screen this weekend. 120", 104"x59". I used primed 1x4s from lowes. put together using a Kreg drill system reinforced with wood glue, edged with quarter round. got 4 yds of the white and black spandex, pulled it smooth and stapled it on the backside. worked out perfectly. assembly time was ~3 hours. room is a large area in a friends bar, gonna flank it with 55 inch LCDs.crappy photo below with all lights on. proj is an old ivc rs1.

don't know why its sideways

Attachments

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,534 Posts
room is a large area in a friends bar, gonna flank it with 55 inch LCDs.crappy photo below with all lights on. proj is an old ivc rs1.
don't know why its sideways

RS1.....700 lumen! Let's see that old girl hit that Screen with the lights off! Or at least way down.

The images can get rotated if the Pixel count (Format) is weighed too heavily to a particular side. You have to see how it shows when you first upload, and if sideways, use your image editor to rotate the image the other direction before re-uploading.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally finished up doing to black spandex panels for the sides top and bottom of the screen as well as the carpet. Need to watch a movie tonight to see how it looks!
The screen thus far looks amazing, I do need to bump up the brightness on the 5040 for HDR 4k movies a bit to make up for the lower gain.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts