AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Are you comfortable with woodworking? If you're not, don't be shy to ask someone you know for help.

This looks like a pretty basic thing to build. I'd use MDF if painting, for weight stability and for the smooth surface. If you have the capability I would mitre it to avoid butt joints telegraphing through the paint. Sand the whole thing. Prime it, sand it, prime again, paint. Best would be to spray the paint, but I dislike spray bombs. I'd use a foam brush if you don't have spray equipment. The foam brush will take a couple more coats than a regular paint brush, but it'll look better.

You'll need a table saw, wood glue, clamps, and dry wall mud plus paint and primer. A benefit would be a finishing nailer. That's a minimum IMO.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
You're in business. If you do butt joints, oversize them 1/8th of an inch and then ask your father in law for that router and use a flush trim bit to clean the joint edges. Adding a roundover to the edges will look good also, and make them less prone to damage. (Or a chamfer). Need that router for all that though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts