AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently on the cusp of starting a 21" La Voce SAN214.50 dual Devastator build and I was before now considering purchasing Emotiva T2+ and C2+ to pair with them. Is it possible to get similar performance out of a DIY project such as 1099's? The 1099 would definitely be cheaper if I got flat packs from DIYSG (if they ever come back in stock). I also like the idea of building speakers by hand.

Is the 1099 a comparable speaker system to Emotiva's? Are there any other DIY speakers I should know about with a dedicated center?

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
there are a good number of 1099 - DIYSG aficionados who should speak up.
the cost difference won't really address the cost/benefit ratio of going DIY.
what is your budget?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I don't really have a budget - I can save up as long as I need to get something if I know it's going to really be worth it. The Devastators are a little expensive since I'll need to buy both drivers and the NX6000D, so that's already well over $1000 with current prices.

That being said, I love the idea of bang-for-your-buck. That's what got me interested in Marty subs in the first place, and also what drew me to Emotiva. I'd heard that the T2+ punches well outside it's price class.

I like the idea of owning something that sounds better than the other guys' that they paid way more for.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
Given the necessity for a strong sell, snake oils added as needed,
reading about the T2 and C2- very shiny and black
you say you can do what o you want so the look, YTMMV
I prefer my speakers to be invisible with the light down- it's for my ears anyway

and the reviews - IMO- lacking a "techy" feel, just a feeling of "too"
after 7+ yeas here at AVS,
there are ,luckily for me, so damn many smart guys who have put in the time, money, for education and the willingness to make mistakes and intelligently juggle the numbers and physics-so I didn't have to.

Air foil tweeter guys may chime in- somebody knows how to explain "because" and "but". . .
you really need to post about the room and a "napkin" sketch especially the very important front sound stage area
IF my room would have allowed it'd definitely have been a matching LCR of 1099's
as it is, my F15's and 88 special, a forward looking design by @mtg90, iirc, and you can even get to actually talk to him directly . . . not needing to go thru some Cr guy sitting at phone-who knows where?
"have I answered all your questions . . . etc..
(Gotta love South Park!)
i can't comment in trying to explains what differences the for SEOS horn vs. airfoil and some mids
but
some music in stereo is actually mo' betta' that any upmixer you may have
but
it really is even more importantly about the room and the layout and 'beyond"
when people have more details to peruse, the deeper you'll get into an appreciation of how good your project will be
HTH

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Why would you want to buy something off a shelf when you can learn from building something with your own hands.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
on that note-
as you've been given free range to do your HT your way . . .
If you go DIY and also with flat packs -the smart thing to do if possible
get your wife to help you put them together and whatever other details and touches that can be contrived needed / wanted
she might not mind so much being able to be part of the "fun"

·
Registered
413 Posts
I can't say how the Emo's sound vs. the 1099's, but consider this... Why are you going DIY for the subs? You could buy something pre-made from Danley or JTR that would move mountains. Oh, right.. Similar performance for less $$, because you don't have all the overhead of a company, even an Internet Direct one.
Same thing applies to the mains. Emo, being ID, doesn't have the markup that a brick & mortar brand would, but there's still significant markup, and that finish work on the cabinets isn't free. The guys here that make their DIY projects look as good as anything out there have my ultimate in respect for the time and effort.
While I'm sure the Emo speakers are very good (and I'm generally a Emo fan, having owned their equipment for 12 years now), I can't imagine they're better (sonically) than something like a 1099 or similar from DIYSG.
There's also meniscus audio, with whom I have no personal experience, but have seen mentioned on some other forums.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Im surprised noone has just flat out said it....Emotiva and 1099's arent even in the same ball park in my mind. I havent heard either, Emotiva needs to be spelled JTR for me to even think they can keep up with 1099's though. If I am wrong then Emotiva just came on my radar as stuff to consider.

·
Registered
7.1 - 2x V.B.S.S / 3x 1099s / Klipsch Side&Rears
136 Posts
DIY all the way. tl;dr I've loved the 1099s from the day I could fire them up. Completely worth it in every aspect, unless they are too physically large for your use.

On to just.. well.. my opinions and thoughts. Idk anything about Emotiva.. but compared to my Klipsch F3 (the old synergy 8" woofer line)..
The 1099s just walk all over them. Though, comparing my old c20 center to a 1099 center isn't exactly fair. ;)
The higher sensitivity.. clearer dialogue.. basically, everything sounds cleaner and more real to me.
Piano, acoustic guitar, sax.. instruments I'm fairly used to hearing irl.. sound great.
One thing to laugh about of note.. for better or worse.. I can easily hear lousy recording environments now.
I would've never thought you could guess the room size from a recording.. especially if there is a lack of room treatment.. but I can now do just that. (though this is mostly ameteur recorded content, still funny)

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
^ .02 & FTR
same sorta story . . .
pair of F-15's replaced the F3's - those sent to RS duty and then replaced with 88 Specials, last fall.
what he and the last 2 other guys said
and well said as it is

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All the replies here have solidified what I think I had already decided in my mind. As @asarose247 has mentioned, I'm overdue to show you guys my space so I can more effectively take advantage of your insane combined experience. I'll be cleaning up that room and posting what I'm hoping it'll become here shortly. It's a bit of a strange space with an accordion door, an egress window, and a storage crawlspace that starts halfway up the wall, so I hope you guys are up for a challenge.

I'm hoping to show a blueprint-styled layout using some kind of room mapping system as well as showing pictures of the space itself. Should I start another thread for this?

Also, is there any other place other than DIYSG to get 1099 kits and flatpacks, or does anyone know how stock seems to work for these kits on that website? I'm already going to be building 2 Devastators and those are big, square boxes where it's easy to cover up mistakes. I'd love to have nice roundover baffles and cnc-cut parts for something that needs to look at least decent during the few times the lights are actually on in my theater.

·
Registered
65 Posts
All the replies here have solidified what I think I had already decided in my mind. As @asarose247 has mentioned, I'm overdue to show you guys my space so I can more effectively take advantage of your insane combined experience. I'll be cleaning up that room and posting what I'm hoping it'll become here shortly. It's a bit of a strange space with an accordion door, an egress window, and a storage crawlspace that starts halfway up the wall, so I hope you guys are up for a challenge.

I'm hoping to show a blueprint-styled layout using some kind of room mapping system as well as showing pictures of the space itself. Should I start another thread for this?

Also, is there any other place other than DIYSG to get 1099 kits and flatpacks, or does anyone know how stock seems to work for these kits on that website? I'm already going to be building 2 Devastators and those are big, square boxes where it's easy to cover up mistakes. I'd love to have nice roundover baffles and cnc-cut parts for something that needs to look at least decent during the few times the lights are actually on in my theater.
I got an email from Erich (owner of DIYSG) yesterday after inquiring about 2 of the subwoofer cabinets as well as the 1099's. He said he does not know when the 1099's will be in stock since he is waiting on crossover parts. I'm assuming he has been unable to get those due to manufacturing/supply chain issues related to COVID and all the other stuff going on right now. It's a bummer as I know myself and many others are really wanting to grab some of the 1099's. I've been wanting to build some for over a year but missed them each time they were available.

I don't know of any other flat packs or anything that compare to the ones on DIYSG.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I left a message to him, presumably, on the website's contact us page. That was several days ago now and I have yet to get a response. Makes me a bit nervous thinking that since these kits are so desirable it may be quite awhile before I'd be able to get my hands on them.

I'm also considering Volt 10s for my left and right surrounds. Can someone explain why I'd want an an angled pack vs. a flat/Atmos pack? Also, is it worth it to go ported vs. sealed for surrounds?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I got an email from Erich (owner of DIYSG) yesterday after inquiring about 2 of the subwoofer cabinets as well as the 1099's. He said he does not know when the 1099's will be in stock since he is waiting on crossover parts. I'm assuming he has been unable to get those due to manufacturing/supply chain issues related to COVID and all the other stuff going on right now. It's a bummer as I know myself and many others are really wanting to grab some of the 1099's. I've been wanting to build some for over a year but missed them each time they were available.

I don't know of any other flat packs or anything that compare to the ones on DIYSG.
I don’t think you can beat emotiva price per performance, but diy makes sense for subwoofers due to jtr and psa incredible costs .
Diy speakers can be very good however I don’t have money or skills for it .
Flat packs pre built are nice 👍
If you got larger drivers then hifi speakers diy can win out .

·
Registered
354 Posts
Those two speakers are wildly different.

Just comparing specs (and assuming Emotiva are being 100% truthful with their efficiency ratings):

Pushing the max continuous power of 200 watts into the Emotivas will give you about 111 db of output.
To get the same output level from the 1099s will take only 16 watts.

That being said, the 1099s require subwoofers to sound good while the Emotivas can play full range just fine. Since you're building subs, I'd 100% go with the 1099s (or other high efficiency speakers).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since you're building subs, I'd 100% go with the 1099s (or other high efficiency speakers).
Yeah, I don't think that with two 21" Devastators I should be lacking anything in the LFE regions at all.

Pushing the max continuous power of 200 watts into the Emotivas will give you about 111 db of output.
To get the same output level from the 1099s will take only 16 watts.
I'd heard that the 1099s were efficient, but I'd never had it put for me so plainly before. I think that makes the decision stupidly easy. Now comes the waiting, which is the hardest part.

Could anyone explain to me why I'd want an angled vs flat/Atmos pack for the Volt 10 surrounds? Or whether to go ported or stick with sealed for these speakers?

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
Could anyone explain to me why I'd want an angled vs flat/Atmos pack for the Volt 10 surrounds? Or whether to go ported or stick with sealed for these speakers?

we still need that sketchup masterpiece / crayon on a napkin description with dimensions of where you expect ALL your stuff to be . .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
we still need that sketchup masterpiece / crayon on a napkin description with dimensions of where you expect ALL your stuff to be . .
After long last and plenty of badgering by @asarose247 behold the room where the magic will happen (eventually). Here is the overall floorplan of room.

The door on the bottom is an accordion door, and the window on the side is an egress window, since this room is in the basement. The right-side wall is going to be where I'm going to be positioning my TV and LCR, unless you guys have a better opinion. I can't think of a much better option with the window on the back wall.

Here is the current view behind my MLP.

Oh, and please spare me the comments of the bachelor-ness of the room and the horrible cable management - I'm aware of how I currently live, haha. You can't see any of frustrating things with the lights off.
The cabinet doors that you see in the upper left part of the wall is actually the entrance to a storage crawlspace. I'd never seen anything like it before touring this house, either. Convenient, though. I have my TV currently on an extendable wall mount so I can move the TV when I need to get in there. Also, please note the extremely conveniently-placed soffit in the upper right that absolutely murders any idea of a projector.

My plans here are definitely to increase the size of my TV. I currently have a 55" curved Samsung UN55KU6500DF. I'm shooting for a 77"-ish OLED like the LG CX or C1 when it comes out. Unfortunately, this upgrade is not on the immediate horizon.

I would like to replace my Pioneer SP-FS52 LCR (we all have to start somewhere) with DIY Elusive 1099 LCR kits from DIYSG. I have them currently not toed-in because it was a pain to make sure the left tower was placed perfectly back every time I had to move it after going into the crawlspace. Meanwhile the BIC F12 sub will be replaced with 2 21" Devastators which will totally, 100%, for sure, most definitely fit in here with all the other stuff.

The IKEA POÄNG chair is going to be replaced with a 3-seat leather reclining sofa that's 90" x 40"-ish. I figure that will give me about 1 1/2 feet on either side of it to get past. Also, the carpet remnant that's currently on the floor will be replaced with a professionally-installed high-pile carpet with thick pad for acoustic room treatment. That crappy accordion door is likely to be replaced with a heavy barn-styled door to keep the noises from my utilities out of my theater (it doesn't do such a great job now).

Next, here's the back of the room:

Back here you see the off-center egress window that's usually covered by a piece of plywood to darken the room. I'm planning on asking my wife to make some thick, theater-styled curtains for it for additional absorption in the back. You'll also notice another perfectly placed soffit.

For the left and right surrounds, I have Micca MB42X bookshelves that I hope to replace with DIY Volt 10s also from DIYSG (unless you fine folks have better suggestions). Also, before you comment, they are likely mounted too high, but that makes navigating the room easier, currently. Here is where I posed my earlier question--what would be the purpose of using an angled pack vs a flat pack? Should I go ported or stick with sealed?

Behind that you'll see where I've been constructing my acoustic panels, which I hope to cover first and second reflection points, as well as on either side of my LCR (maybe). On either side of the window, I'm planning to mount DIY skyline diffusers and I'm considering super chunk bass traps made of the same Rockwool Safe'n'Sound insulation as my panels.

Back here is probably where I'm going to HAVE to place the Devastators. Any suggestions would be GRAND.

Finally, when I eventually replace my aging Denon AVR-S530BT with a 9.2 receiver like the Denon AVR X4500H or the Marantz SR6013 or SR7013, I'll likely add Atmos fronts and backs either on ceiling with Polk OMW3 or perhaps another DIY speaker or mount them in the ceiling, if I'm brave enough (we'll see.)

There it is. I hope this was enough information for your great minds to help me elevate this space from somewhat functional to incredible. Let me know if I've missed any measurements or if you want other pictures that I didn't include.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
upper left part of the wall is actually the entrance to a storage crawlspace.
did i just hear something whisper "IB"
where your SS speakers are- do they seem dialed in well enough,
thinking volt 10's angled and sunken into a drywall bay,
that's a narrow room- do you plan on cozy seating for 2?
my man cave is only 10 wide so for 2 "listeners" some adjustments to avoid hotspotting
also, if you can get the 1099's or even some HT12's for LCR,
you'll hear that those SEOS horns will create quite the 3D sound field without any surrounds
doesn't mean you shouldn't have them , tho

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
where your SS speakers are- do they seem dialed in well enough,
thinking volt 10's angled and sunken into a drywall bay,
The immersion is pretty good, but to be honest, I actually haven't heard better, though I'm sure it could be. Could you describe what a drywall bay is?

doesn't mean you shouldn't have them , tho
There's not a chance that I wouldn't put surrounds in that long of a room. There's so much space for activities!

Do you have any suggestions as to where to put the Devastators? I could do nearfield or against the side walls behind the couch, or I could take away the tv stand and place them on their sides.

I've also been toying with the idea of hiding a rack for my electronics in the actual crawlspace, just don't know how I'd control IR stuff like receivers and how I'd turn my NX6000D on and off without reaching in there all the time. Something like this? https://amzn.to/3ujVXkP Maybe I could use a smart plug and tell Google to turn on my amp. Any suggestions as to how others have done it would be great.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts