AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
^ how civilized. well played, sir.
So with building the false wall, that lets him hide 3 of the Titan 618's the devestators , a MBM module,
leaves room for some NF 12's
DIY 120" screen,
sit 10 feet back from the screen
and 5 feet each, for the mlp, from the SS and RS
we'll work on the separation of the tops as it goes along.
it bothered me to read about lumber prices / availability . .
somehow someway there's a way to get some other CNC guy stepping up . . .
course you still need the real parts . . .
dang this covid
(said the old man, retired, had his shots, having a late breakfast with a lovely gal)
Boooo!

I've readthe reviews at Emo but still seemed a bit too slick for a spaghetti test

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
As was posted on the last page. The emotiva speakers are designed for a different purpose than the DIY seos designs. I use some powered emotiva speakers in a two channel space. They sound FANTASTIC at low to moderate levels. They completely fall apart when pushed. I have owned 1099's in my theater room and currently use titan 615's. The Titans are honestly a little in your face for two channel listening. They fill the room with huge sound and are my end game theater speaker. The 1099's felt more like they were yelling at you in the same space. They were almost too revealing for two channel listening, they ruined some of my favorite Albums.. LoL
YMMV

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
@CgyAvFan - not to detract or be too OT wrt :
The emotiva speakers are designed for a different purpose than the DIY seos designs.
can you post a link or links where I might satisfy my curiosity about how and why that is?

·
Registered
37 Posts
@CgyAvFan - not to detract or be too OT wrt :
The emotiva speakers are designed for a different purpose than the DIY seos designs.
can you post a link or links where I might satisfy my curiosity about how and why that is?
Sorry Wil, but there's not a published "white paper" I can point you to.
The emotiva speakers are aimed at the music first crowd though. Anyone who has actually heard them vs a seos design can tell they are not designed to play at reference level. It's no different than for example.. Polk RTI speakers vs their LSI line. Different design goals. Are they both fantastic speakers? Absolutely. Are they built/designed to compete with a jtr 212 ? Not a chance.
Are the airmotiv speakers a very good budget audiophile speaker ? Definitely. Are they going to wow me in my theater playing Avatar at 5db over reference? Nope... Their gonna release the magic smoke. Are my Titans doing it? You bet they did it.. and did it well and will do it again.

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
Hey CgyAvFan, I don't want to derail the thread but I think it's still on topic. Since you've heard both the 615's and the 1099's, I'd like to ask more about the 1099's.

I currently have HTM-12's. I love them. But I had the "what if?" bug and wanted to try another DIYSG offering. Without having heard them, I considered that the 615's would probably be the "endgame" but couldn't figure a way to fit the center channel. The 1099's became available so I went for it and am currently building them.

The 1099's "yelling at you" doesn't sound like a glowing endorsement :) Were they objectionable or is it just the smaller waveguides are more of a "point source" rather than filling the room? (The HTM-12's with their 15" SEOS waveguide definitely fills the room). I'm 80% movies and 20% music in my listening habits.

Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey CgyAvFan, I don't want to derail the thread but I think it's still on topic. Since you've heard both the 615's and the 1099's, I'd like to ask more about the 1099's.

I currently have HTM-12's. I love them. But I had the "what if?" bug and wanted to try another DIYSG offering. Without having heard them, I considered that the 615's would probably be the "endgame" but couldn't figure a way to fit the center channel. The 1099's became available so I went for it and am currently building them.

The 1099's "yelling at you" doesn't sound like a glowing endorsement :) Were they objectionable or is it just the smaller waveguides are more of a "point source" rather than filling the room? (The HTM-12's with their 15" SEOS waveguide definitely fills the room). I'm 80% movies and 20% music in my listening habits.

Thanks!
They were fantastic speakers but you hit the nail on the head with your interpretation.
Your room and preferences my vary from mine.
I look forward to your thoughts when they're built and running.

·
Registered
865 Posts

Thanks!
Those are the things that always made me nervous about the designs... the many folks talking about the forward/fatiguing nature that could happen... and a lot of folks tend to come from Klipsch in the past which made me even more nervous, as I find their offerings a bit "in my face"...

Anywho.... I remember @tuxedocivic always said there was a mod you could make to the crossover to take about 1.5 db off the top, as he originally designed the 1099 to be used primarily behind AT screens... but since folks asked, he posed the change and left it to preference. I can't find the post, but i know it's in the huge 1099 thread... some folks wired both and a dip switch to make it modifiable after the speaker was completed which was cool.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Those are the things that always made me nervous about the designs... the many folks talking about the forward/fatiguing nature that could happen... and a lot of folks tend to come from Klipsch in the past which made me even more nervous, as I find their offerings a bit "in my face"...

Anywho.... I remember @tuxedocivic always said there was a mod you could make to the crossover to take about 1.5 db off the top, as he originally designed the 1099 to be used primarily behind AT screens... but since folks asked, he posed the change and left it to preference. I can't find the post, but i know it's in the huge 1099 thread... some folks wired both and a dip switch to make it modifiable after the speaker was completed which was cool.
You are correct!
I just finished building my three 1099's two nights ago and we wired up a switch to toggle on/off that I believe kills some of the higher end but I honestly can't tell the difference!

I'm still cleaning up and will be posting a build but I had an Axiom vp150 center and Energy RC-70 towers and night and day difference, I am in love.

·
Registered
865 Posts
You are correct!
I just finished building my three 1099's two nights ago and we wired up a switch to toggle on/off that I believe kills some of the higher end but I honestly can't tell the difference!

I'm still cleaning up and will be posting a build but I had an Axiom vp150 center and Energy RC-70 towers and night and day difference, I am in love.
interesting! I’d love to hear impressions of how they compare especially vs the energy towers!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Hearing claims that the 1099's are "shouty" and hot in fatiguing frequencies that Klipsch speakers are famous for doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence. I can see the 4 options available in the Home Theater Kits section of DIYSG, with Volts sounding like they'd be great for Atmos/surrounds, and the HT(M)s and the 1099 being the better options for a room my size.

I looked at the Titan 818's and what I saw at first glance was speakers designed for hiding behind a giant AT screen and something that was meant to fill a movie theater-sized room with accurate sound. It seems strange to bring up the notion of overkill when I'm discussing these things with people who don't think their 48 subwoofer setup that they took out a second mortgage for and added a second circuit and panel just for their theaters, but in a 1600 cubic foot room that would already have 2 Devastators in them, I feel like I'd terrify my guests, and my wife wouldn't step foot down there anymore. I like my wife. Also, at that point, I think my little 55" TV would start feeling sorry for itself for how inadequate it was.

Are there other well-known variants (I've heard something about Fusion speakers) with as much popularity as DIYSG and have reasonably-priced kits to purchase? Or can someone explain to me why my thinking is all wrong, and that I'd be happy with the Titans, 1099s, or HT(M)s?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hearing claims that the 1099's are "shouty" and hot in fatiguing frequencies that Klipsch speakers are famous for doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence. I can see the 4 options available in the Home Theater Kits section of DIYSG, with Volts sounding like they'd be great for Atmos/surrounds, and the HT(M)s and the 1099 being the better options for a room my size.

I looked at the Titan 818's and what I saw at first glance was speakers designed for hiding behind a giant AT screen and something that was meant to fill a movie theater-sized room with accurate sound. It seems strange to bring up the notion of overkill when I'm discussing these things with people who don't think their 48 subwoofer setup that they took out a second mortgage for and added a second circuit and panel just for their theaters, but in a 1600 cubic foot room that would already have 2 Devastators in them, I feel like I'd terrify my guests, and my wife wouldn't step foot down there anymore. I like my wife. Also, at that point, I think my little 55" TV would start feeling sorry for itself for how inadequate it was.

Are there other well-known variants (I've heard something about Fusion speakers) with as much popularity as DIYSG and have reasonably-priced kits to purchase? Or can someone explain to me why my thinking is all wrong, and that I'd be happy with the Titans, 1099s, or HT(M)s?

I'm in the same boat... ended up buying a Philharmonic BMR set of kits from Meniscus. opposite of the design of the DIYSoundgroup stuff, but still really intrigued. I'm coming from 1st gen Paradigm Studio Reference towers... so I like a neutral/accurate type of design. I just had really bad memories from my demos of Klipsch...

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Or can someone explain to me why my thinking is all wrong, and that I'd be happy with the Titans, 1099s, or HT(M)s?
The Titan 818 would be great for HT and for a "full range" speaker for block parties. It mimics actual theater speakers and is a good choice if you can deal with the price, weight and size.

1099 3-way tower speaker that also works very well as a horizontal center laid on it's side. Very efficient, can handle a lot of power and will blow people out of most rooms with their ears ringing on AVR power. It is actually the hardest one to build, but only barely but also takes up the least amount of space, looks like a slender tower speaker, horizontal center kit availability but demands subwoofers--it is not a traditional "full range" in typical audio thought.

HTM-12 Another great design with very nice components, not as efficient as the Titan or 1099 by being 2dB lower but still enough to scare you. Measures very well, the lighest weight of all your picks and a solid choice IF you don't require a horizontal center (1099 if you need horizontal) They can be run "full range" in a pinch but as always, subwoofers are a good thing.

The 1099 is not "shouty" or has an elevated mid or treble response--some people are sensitive to high frequencies so the treble can be padded down with L-pad resistors. As others have done, you can mod the crossover with a switch an different resistors to change the response if you like. Some PA speakers also have that adjustment so not a new thing. Speakers back in the 60's through the 80's used to have dials to adjust the l-pads in crossover so the switch mod is a variant of that. I just use the magical EQ to adjust any oddities in measured frequency response or adjust to my taste.

The Fusions were a line of speakers that have been out of productiion for a few years. Generally, they ranged from 8" to 15" two-ways, they were narrower and deeper than the HTMs which created issues behind screens. The HTM is very shallow as are the HT series to specifically to fit behind screens so the Fusion line was dropped.

Which one to get? Well, you have two Devistators so I'd call a toss up between the 1099 and the Titan 818. Select the one that fits your room, size and weight demands. If you are the "what if" type, just get it over with and get the Titan 818--go for the "slim box" kit...it is slightly narrower if the woofer box is too wide.

Come on... your subwoofers are bigger than your TV...you know you want to... easier to build as a bonus. Never know when you have the opportunity to have a block party. I'd do it but am waiting for the 1021... (kidding)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I never could eq that forward sound out of my 1099's. Had Dirac in an xmc1 at the time. They were fantastic HT speakers. And I would've been very VERY happy with them. But once I built my Titans... No looking back.
All speakers are behind an at spandex screen. Ryan sent me resistors to add to the 1099 crossover.. never did it though.
I remember talking with lz7j about his fusion 15's years back when I was contemplating the switch to bigger seos speakers. Didn't understand what he was talking about until I heard it for myself.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
^can a brother get a AMEN!
bed layer is 7 x15" SEOS horns
props @mtg90 and the DIYSG crew
and @Erich H

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
interesting! I’d love to hear impressions of how they compare especially vs the energy towers!
So I am no audiophile but I considered myself and audio enthusiast as I owned a stack stereo before I owned a TV and I had a cd deck, subs and amp ready to go into the car I did not yet own...lol so music has been a part of me since I was born, piano, guitar...etc

The energy speakers were a nice sound and laid back, movies were movies when tied with the axiom center and music was music.

When I swapped my VP center out for a 1099 my energy towers vanished, I literally couldn't hear them as the volume I had for the VP 150 but I heard fingers on guitar strings that were not present with and leaning into the Energy the center was just better sounding. I used to listen to music but now I hear it.

Watching a scene on Prime for Invisible before the 1099's was decent, no complaints, but I watched the same scene and voices were crystal clear, I heard foot steps that I didn't before and electrical effects were 'whole". This is not to say it was louder (I had to turn volume down as I cannot watch movies at the old volume level) but things were missing before and the 1099's found them!

These things get insanely loud, I have the volume at -30 and I think my AVR set the old speakers at 0 so I. Going to mic again but I can't sit and listen to music (CD on sony 4k player) at -30 as it's uncomfortable.

Without the VBSS turned on I do think the Energy had more bass but I never jumped back and forth to really compare (cut off -80hz) but the 1099's are just awesome.

I am in love and the wife doesn't mind them either lol

·
Registered
220 Posts
-30 is unlistenable? That is like an conversation.
Not from my 4k player with a DVD (music) and I have no idea why. I was also born semi hard of hearing and this **** is loud. I think it's part to the 99db efficiency from the 1099 my centre drowned my energy towers out completely, sitting on my couch I couldn't even tell if they were on unless I was a foot away ear pressed towards them.

I had volume around -15/-20 with the Energy speakers to break in this way but I couldn't go past -30 without covering my ears. I sit roughly 8/9 feet away.
We watched part of the Great Wall 4k and the movie with bass was -40 and I was worried about waking the kids during some parts, lol. AVR has them set at 0 still so I am going to mic up and calibrate again as I have not gotten around to it.

If I pop in a USB I can hit around -15/20 but it is still crazy loud.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Not from my 4k player with a DVD (music) and I have no idea why. I was also born semi hard of hearing and this **** is loud. I think it's part to the 99db efficiency from the 1099 my centre drowned my energy towers out completely, sitting on my couch I couldn't even tell if they were on unless I was a foot away ear pressed towards them.

I had volume around -15/-20 with the Energy speakers to break in this way but I couldn't go past -30 without covering my ears. I sit roughly 8/9 feet away.
We watched part of the Great Wall 4k and the movie with bass was -40 and I was worried about waking the kids during some parts, lol. AVR has them set at 0 still so I am going to mic up and calibrate again as I have not gotten around to it.

If I pop in a USB I can hit around -15/20 but it is still crazy loud.
Will be curious after you recalibrate. You are likely listening a lot louder than before just due to AVR trim relatedto calibration. That said, I’m guessing you’ll still listen to music at lower volume... most report listening to movies at higher volume due to less distortion.. interesting!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Will be curious after you recalibrate. You are likely listening a lot louder than before just due to AVR trim relatedto calibration. That said, I’m guessing you’ll still listen to music at lower volume... most report listening to movies at higher volume due to less distortion.. interesting!
I just ran calibration on my lunch and rather than +1.5 I think that the Energy's were at it placed the 1099's are at -1.5 and +1 for most other speakers but I have not tested my music dvd yet for levels.

Hopefully finish watching a movie tonight and I can see if we sit at -40 or not, lol.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts