AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the better half doesn't really like all the audio equipment in the living room because it more or less takes up an entire wall. Right now I have my RTi12's surrounding a tv stand with tv and a component rack and a 12" infinity powered sub. She really hates the component rack and isn't a fan of the giant black speakers either as they stand out too much. I'll ignore the speakers for now but I was thinking I would integrated all the components into one stand under the tv and hopefully integrated the sub (I know it may not be an ideal placement). Reading through the entire Sub1/Sub2 thread got me thinking. Perhaps I could integrated a sub into the stand while leveraging many smaller drivers to give that over the top punch, just with a smaller floor-print. It might also have the benefit of creating clean, fast bass for my music. The pic below is kind of my thinking with the subs being opposed and on each end of the system to cancel vibration(and perhaps only 2 high instead of 3) giving between 8 and 12 drivers.

What limitations will I run into (damage to my components, etc)? Any driver suggestions that can take gobs and gobs of power, low distortion, and have a small footprint (thinking sub 1 size but better power handling)? I was looking at the TC sounds 10" driver on AE but I need to read up on how to model that and understand the volume required and need to understand how the dimensions of a sealed box impact sound. I'm on remote work assignment right now and can't measure my actual components but I need to fit:

RMB-1085

RB-1091 X 2

RSP-1068 (possibly something else so I can get DTS-HD MA etc)

PS3

Xbox 360

TV box

Pro Amps for subs

H15 power conditioner

Polk Center Channel (CSi5)

Mostly right now this is just a pipe dream but I want subs that are portable until I get into the next home... Where I'll build an IB in a dedicated theater. IB in this home would also be bad spreading too much DB's to the bedrooms.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Tell her she needs to change her kitchen or bathroom or even better her bed because its not manly enough and see what reaction you get. Then tell her some speakers aren't so bad then.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Build a tv cabinet with subwoofers attached that appear to be part of the tv stand. I designed one that has 4 15's in it and holds you center channel speaker as well. Here is an extremely bad picture.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983
Build a tv cabinet with subwoofers attached that appear to be part of the tv stand. I designed one that has 4 15's in it and holds you center channel speaker as well. Here is an extremely bad picture.
I would love to see the pics!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Can you find a closet or other space somewhere to get all the electronics out of the living room? That's a big pile of heat producing gear to hide under a TV.

You might sell her on doing away with the "TV stand" and wall mounting the display instead. How about some pics?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash
Tell her she needs to change her kitchen or bathroom or even better her bed because its not manly enough and see what reaction you get. Then tell her some speakers aren't so bad then.
Well, at some point in the next house I will get a home theater room where I can do what I want. Right now it's "living room" and I can... but.

More or less I told her things she can't change in the house, speakers being one of them. I will however make my case for having an "upgrade". My Infinity sub just runs out of headroom but 8-12 8" or 10" subs with lots of power won't! Making it look better will be the way to sneak that one in, hehe.

We are just starting out so right now I'm thinking compromise might be wise and a benefit for our future.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Please be kind on my bad picture. Built in 3 different pieces so you can move it after. Use rubber subwoofer feet x12 to de-couple from the floor. Since the cabinet and subs are the same size it appears to be 1 piece. 84.5" wide x 30" high x 24 deep. You could also make smaller with 12's.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew
Can you find a closet or other space somewhere to get all the electronics out of the living room? That's a big pile of heat producing gear to hide under a TV.

You might sell her on doing away with the "TV stand" and wall mounting the display instead. How about some pics?
She would be all for me wall mounting and actually asked the closet question. the problem is there isn't a closet close and not really an empty closet in the house.

Will get pics when I get back to the US.

Btw, Albq, yikes! I can't say I really miss NM :)

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
Go and buy an old dirty V8 and engine stand and place it in the middle of the living room, and tell her it'll be fun to rebuild whilst you watch the football. And she can assist by bringing you sandwiches and cold beers.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308
Go and buy an old dirty V8 and engine stand and place it in the middle of the living room, and tell her it'll be fun to rebuild whilst you watch the football. And she can assist by bringing you sandwiches and cold beers.
And then tell her you're testing smoke alarms the manly way.

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
^^ Now you're talking.

·
Registered
362 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKing2 /forum/post/0

I built a wall unit for just the reasons you have-WAF! Here is my original post on the multi piece cabinet. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post19634015 Had just the one old Velodyne sub in it at the time.

Here is my thread about putting two 18" LMS ultra into the cabinet. I do not get any buzzing or vibrations at all. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post20730085 Might not be what you want but should give you some ideas.

Can you post a pic of the finished stand? I checked your thread and it won't allow me to see the pics.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The pics seem to come up for me? The pic in the first thread is on AVS so you need to be logged in to click on it. The other pics in the in the sub build thread should be visible. I will see if I can put another pic up for you at photobucket of the finished product.

I was originally going to build the subs right into the wall unit. This would have enabled me to get enclosure size up to over 5cf. Decided against that because I wanted to keep the subs isolated. The little bit of extra low end extension would have been nice but not worth the risk IMO. I use the thick felt furniture pads where the sub makes contact. Makes it easier to slide the heavy enclosures in and out of the cabinet than using rubber feet.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
RDKing, Your link seems fine to me. It directs me to your build (Very nice!
)

I would definitely go with a similar design to what RDKing did.

Build boxes for the woofers and then place them into the Cabinet, you can use carpet padding or simliar to reduce all vibration between the box and the cabinet.

I built ported designs originally for my HT room and then placed them into the wall underneath the screen. They worked great for several years.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash /forum/post/20856791

Someone is single or just likes to tempt fate! Not saying it's a bad idea...you just won't have to live with the results of the conversation!

·
Registered
9,902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrojx /forum/post/20863460

Someone is single or just likes to tempt fate! Not saying it's a bad idea...you just won't have to live with the results of the conversation!

Or maybe he's one of the few that remember that they own the house too and have just as much right to it's use and enjoyment for what they like. Which was the point of my sarcastic comment earlier.

·
Registered
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 /forum/post/20864852

Or maybe he's one of the few that remember that they own the house too and have just as much right to it's use and enjoyment for what they like. Which was the point of my sarcastic comment earlier.

So what you are saying is that you are not married either

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.