AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have the Rotel RB-972 integrated stereo amplifier that I would like to plug in a subwoofer to it. The unit has pre-amp outputs that I can use. I recently plugged the subwoofer into one channel, and it works fine...but the problem that I have is that it is only getting left or right channel data.

My question is this, is there a simple DIY way of taking both L/R pre-amp outputs and combining them into one signal for my sub?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The simplest way is two resistors, one from the left channel, one from the right, combining into one single wire. Ground can be taken from either channel. In my experience 4k7 resistors are a reasonable compromise between volume and stereo separation. With passive mixers there's nothing free, some of the combined signal flows back through the resistors thus reducing stereo separation.

If your balance control is less effective with 4k7 resistors, and if the sub has an amplifier with high enough gain, you can try increasing the value to 10k.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoggniklat /forum/post/18155969

My question is this, is there a simple DIY way of taking both L/R pre-amp outputs and combining them into one signal for my sub?

Thanks for any help.

What are you using for a sub amp? Most have dual RCA inputs that will sum and low-pass. If you're using a full range amp you need to get an electronic crossover which will do the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.