AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're finishing our basement and I'm looking at reworking the subwoofer.

Currently I have a DIY 300L enclosure, 6" x 27" port, with a 15" TC-2000 SVC driver. The thing sounds great, but the problem is that 300L is just a big piece of furniture that doesn't fit...anywhere.

Pics of the current sub here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...20#post8834020

We have some dead space along the rear wall of the family room in the basement and I'm hoping to build a new enclosure in this space. See the attachment for the dimensions I have available.

I see two main options right now:

[22*18 = 2.75 sqft] - [11*10 = .7638 sqft] = 1.986 sqft

#1: To recreate a similar enclosure volume Z = 5.3 ft (before bracing and port volume).

#2: From the TC Sounds website archive they recommend a 5.6 ft^3 enclosure for 18Hz tuning. That would give me Z = 2.8 ft (again before bracing and port volume).

Ideas/thoughts on these two or other choices?

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
If you are strapped for space, I would go with a pair of 18" diameter PR's... massed to give you the low tune, as they will take up virtually no volume in the enclosure compared to a port, and they wouldn't have issues with 'compression' like a port would.

I am guessing that your 'box' dimention would be 22" x 18"?

You would have to draw it up to see if the PR's would physically fit in your 22 x 18" 'box' area.

Check out Acoustic Elegance for 18" PR's. They might even have a dimentional drawing of them. The frame as well as the cardboard tube would have to clear the frame as well as the motor on the TC 2000.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was planning on making the box in the pentagon shape that I tried to draw in the diagram.

I have a little over 6 feet of vertical space to work with in this location and given the dimensions shown in the diagram (these would be the inside dimensions of the 'box') - I could build a box with 12 ft^3 of volume (about 330L).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.