AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Some background on my situation. Currently have a budget BIC v1220 HT sub and looking to upgrade. It is for a 20'x18'x18' family room with two (8'x8') openings to a foyer and kitchen...so overall a pretty big area to fill. I know I probably need 2 or more subs, but for now I am only getting one. Use is probably 75% movies/25% music. I love bass, but have little kids so it is rarely used at reference levels, but want to be able to at times. I was originally just going to buy an ID sub - either the Rythmik Lv12r or SVS pb-2000, but I figure I could get more output going DIY with a flatpack. Looking to budget $450-$500 for driver and flat pack.

Here are the two I am looking at:

Ultimax 18" w/ flatpack from PE - ~$399

or

DIYSOUNDGROUP LAB15 Cube kit
4 cuft Ported flat pack - $160
Eminence Lab15 subwoofer: $285
So total of ~$445

I plan to power whatever I get with an inuke 3000DSP or something along those lines.

My main question: What would give me better output? the ported 15" or sealed 18"? Which is the best choice? Is there a better driver than the Eminence to go in the Cube15 Ported enclosure?

Any other recommendations other than those two? Looking to spend no more than $500 for driver and flat pack.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have you looked into building a Tuba sub, you cannot get a flat pack for these, but they are much more efficient than a sealed sub, requiring far less power, and still have a ton of output usually with a much flatter FR.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you looked into building a Tuba sub, you cannot get a flat pack for these, but they are much more efficient than a sealed sub, requiring far less power, and still have a ton of output usually with a much flatter FR.
I have not...and actually never really heard of them, but I will look into it. I am really trying to avoid building my own enclosure just due to lack of time/tools/skills.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Heya Cyco, to put it shortly, I would go with the UM18. Always go as big as you can, especially with a thoroughly tested and approved unit like the ultimax. Plus the Inuke3000 is perfect for bridging it, or just pick up a Inuke 6000 and when you want 2 subs you'll only have to buy another flatpack and you can keep the same amp and power them both!

The UM18 and flatpack kit is a pretty mind blowing product in the DiY world if not one of the best values I've come to find as well as with daytons 460 driver as well.

You will certainly not be disappointed. If you're feeling really froggy and want even better performance, a UXL or HST18 (would go with the latter if funds allow) in the same sealed flatpack will derive better distortion and better power handling.

For top performance, you can use the UM or UXL, if you ever want much more volume around 15-20hz and up, you can locate someone to make you a Marty sub flatpack, Squiers007 still sells his flatpack kits for members here and is a super cool guy. His work is great but if your budget won't allow, the Marty subs aren't horribly difficult to build, especially in comparison to a horn build. Countless friendly members including the designer of the Marty, LTD02 have numerous threads throughout that will show you how to build one in depth and in different sizes.

Hope this is of some help!

P.S. An amp with DSP in it is incredibly useful and pretty much worth the convenience alone, but being the owner of an Inuke DSP and a miniDSP 2x4, I will say I'm happy to have the miniDSP. It's both nice to have it be separate as well as the program I run with it (2.1 advanced) is rather flawless and easy to use.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
That's a lot of overall volume, you should do some math and report back

The tuba's mentioned above, if you have some building chops,
and building 2 at the same time is so easy,

2 tuba's with 15's, if you have the space for 30" wide or more,
plenty of placement options which you'll need for that much space
and inucke 1000 w dsp, total overkill

you may post more specs wrt everything and a few more "what ifs?"

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would bet 1 tuba 15 is plenty. A friend of mine has one and never turns it past like 15%. Those things are crazy loud and efficient.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a lot of overall volume, you should do some math and report back

The tuba's mentioned above, if you have some building chops,
and building 2 at the same time is so easy,

2 tuba's with 15's, if you have the space for 30" wide or more,
plenty of placement options which you'll need for that much space
and inucke 1000 w dsp, total overkill

you may post more specs wrt everything and a few more "what ifs?"
Thanks for the Tuba recommends, but really, I lack the time/building skills, and maybe the wife factor on those if they are much larger.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
maybe . ..

check out the design of the THTLP, a lot more placement options

some have made them look like pillars against the wall, painted to match, pointed at the ceiling or down firing

the plans make you feel like the Bill is standing in the room watching you, his avatar is Yoda for a reason . . .
you don't get to have questions because EVERYTHING is in the plans

visit the site

(I've built 3 of'em go for the 30"ers but a 24" also kicks major bass butt an you can run it with a BASH 300, still too much amp

·
Registered
115 Posts
Get a DIYSG KUDA M5-15K when they're back in stock. Then get a SI SQL-15 . I've got one I build several weeks ago that I'm running with Crown XLS- 1502. The SQL-15 will pound out serious bass with movie's, and music if you want it to, but Kuda M5-15k ports are only tuned to 23hz. If you're okay with that, and if you want to recess mount the SQL-15 you'll have to open up the recessed mounting area to mount it that way. The DIYSG Kuda flat-pack is about $170 with the 2 port tubes, and the SI SQL-15 is $320, and has a 28mm xmax.
IMG_20200724_132259835~2.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Get a DIYSG KUDA M5-15K when they're back in stock. Then get a SI SQL-15 . I've got one I build several weeks ago that I'm running with Crown XLS- 1502. The SQL-15 will pound out serious bass with movie's, and music if you want it to, but Kuda M5-15k ports are only tuned to 23hz. If you're okay with that, and if you want to recess mount the SQL-15 you'll have to open up the recessed mounting area to mount it that way. The DIYSG Kuda flat-pack is about $170 with the 2 port tubes, and the SI SQL-15 is $320, and has a 28mm xmax. View attachment 3033035
Please tell me you have some videos? That SQL-15 looks badass

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you happen to be referring to my thrift store makeshift components stand I bought it that way. Otherwise, yeah, the sub cabinet's are birch plywood. The stain in Minwax "True Black 274, with a Minwax , "Clear Satin". All applied with foam brushes, so there's plenty of visible brush strokes. Up close you can easily see the grain patterns which is what I wanted, but +6ft away they look black/ dark grey. These are the first 2 (flat-pack) subs I've ever built. I'm happy with the end results.!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for the detailed info. Do you have any extra close pics? It looks like the first pic is quite gray but the other two make it look black. I think I may mirror this look.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you're going to have it in a brightly lit room you'll want to stain it noticably darker, than I did. In bright light mine looks dark grey with some lighter grey in it .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts