AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I know...blasphemy to get a sub in this price point.

Once we get past that part, can anyone offer me some suggestions on a flat-pack/driver combo that I can put together in this price point? I would need the amp as well in that price.

Sorry for the tight constraints!!!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
What tux said, it's not impossible but you will be hard pressed to build anything for that price that can compete with what you can buy.

If you hunt for used drivers/amps you can usually get something a bit better and stay within your budget, but the same could be said for buying a used sub.

If you are looking to build something to compete with offerings at the $150 level enclosure size is your friend. Most companies are limited to offering a relatively compact enclosure at that price otherwise shipping costs would be too large. You are not limited by this unless you have WAF, so you can build a 3-4cuft enclosure and get better low end extension then the commercial offerings.

Using the parts tux listed you could build a 2.5-3cuft net internal box (or hey sonotube) with a 3" diameter PVC port at 10" long. Should get you respectable output and extension down to the mid-low 20's depending upon room gain.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Prices have gone up, but this Dayton Audio 10" sub to be considered the best in class for $100 subs (now $120)

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1000-10-100-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-628

I bought one of these when I was living overseas and couldn't take much of anything with me when I moved over there. Being that the OP needs the amp too at the specified price point, this is as good as it gets. This sub provides decent LFE augmentation and pairs well with small satellite-type speakers like I had. I had this 5-channel set:
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-hts-1200b-home-theater-speaker-set-black--300-680

With that sub and a 70WPC AVR powering the 5 channels, I had a nice little 5.1 system that still beat the pants off any HTIB setup costing less than $1K or so.

·
Registered
416 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
...can anyone offer me some suggestions on a flat-pack/driver combo that I can put together in this price point?
Does it have to be a flatpack, or can you do any DIY work, (or have any family, friends or neighbors with tools?) Most of my area home centers have a scrap, scratch/dent area in their lumber area. I've run into gouged plywood, or a crunched mdf corner that they will mark down cheap. At this price point, you will have to get crafty. Maybe a local cabinet shop could get you some cutoff panels for a song.

Maybe base it on a Infinity 1260/1262 12" sub. (Why aren't there more 1260w 1262w builds?)

Call sonicelectronics and order over the phone to get a better price than the inet price for the 1260W's. I got them for $53.95 shipped and saved $8 per sub $256 total. I didn't call anyone else tho, there might be better deals if you call around.
MIB got some for $54 shipped. If you get lucky with some sheet goods, that leaves you about a $100 for a 200W Yung SD200.
Just don't cut the plate amp into the enclosure, so when you want to upgrade there's no hole in your box.

Get closer to $200. I know that goes past your budget a little, but who here hasn't spent more than originally planned?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks all for your responses. I think my best bet is likely to find one used. Subs are just much more expensive given the need for an independent amplifier

If you're stuck at the $100-$150 price point then yes, you'll get better value by buying a mass market sub used.
Otherwise I think it would take about $200-$250 to break even, and at $300-$350 you'd definitely come out ahead with DIY.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.