AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm converting my old kitchen into a cinema room at the moment, and want to build a couple of diy subs, I have purchased the subs already which are the audiobahn aw1500v, What type of box will give me the best bang for buck sound from them?

The speakers I will be using with them will be the m&k xenon 36 package, and will be buying a behringer inuke 3000 to run the subs, would I need the dsp version or could I just run audyssey xt32?
My room size is 3.74m x 4.25.

Tbh I actually ended up with 4 of these subs but I think 2 will be enough for the room size or will it? lol
Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks
H

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
If running ported subs you will need the DSP version, or something like miniDSP, Audessey doesn't set a High Pass filter to keep the excursion under XMAX limits.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Any sub is fairly easy to build prior to this year I had never even considered building a sub now I have 2. Whether you go with ported or sealed you will still need an amplifier the only difference with a ported you need to be able to set a high pass filter so the sub does not go into over excursion. Another useful tool is learning how to use REW ( it is free ) you need to register at Home Theater Shack then download it. You might want to consider what you are looking for as far as sound, a sealed sub will play some pretty deep frequencies but not with much authority a vented will also play deep and loud at the frequency it has been tuned for. ( it will not play as deep but it will be stronger ). As far as figuring out what will work best for you there are plenty of people here who can help with box size tuning etc.

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
same as always...
if you have a small room, go with blue (sealed) because room gain will kick in around 30hz or so.
if you have a large room, go with green (ported) because it beats the pants off the sealed.
500 watts each.
1 driver.
4 cubic foot sealed vs 12 cubic footer tuned to 18hz.

I see your room is 12x14 feet. no idea what a meter is. ;-) that is a borderline room on the smallish side. 4 sealed should be ok.

doubling subs and power gives +6db, quadrupling gives +12db, in theory. not quite that much in reality in most cases.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot guys for your help, I've done a mock up of my room, tbh it's not the best room to work with.
Would I need the inuke dsp to eq the subs or will audyssey work?

And 4 subs will be o.k. to work with in this room also will I need to get the inuke 6000 for 4 ab1500v?

Sorry for all the questions

Thanks
H

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
same as always...
if you have a small room, go with blue (sealed) because room gain will kick in around 30hz or so.
if you have a large room, go with green (ported) because it beats the pants off the sealed.
500 watts each.
1 driver.

I see your room is 12x14 feet. no idea what a meter is. ;-) that is a borderline room on the smallish side. 4 sealed should be ok.

doubling subs and power gives +6db, quadrupling gives +12db, in theory. not quite that much in reality in most cases.

could i put two next to each other at the front in the middle and 2 (one stacked on the other)at the back left?

·
Registered
596 Posts
could i put two next to each other at the front in the middle and 2 (one stacked on the other)at the back left?
I would put one in each front corner and 1 in each rear corner. This will help with nulls.

·
Registered
178 Posts
same as always...
500 watts each.
1 driver.
Is it really fair to compare a 4 cubic foot sealed vs 12 cubic foot ported? I'm honestly asking, because I don't know. Doesn't the size of the enclosure have a lot to do with performance?

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Is it really fair to compare a 4 cubic foot sealed vs 12 cubic foot ported? I'm honestly asking, because I don't know. Doesn't the size of the enclosure have a lot to do with performance?
What is " Fair"?
There are only facts.
The ported brothren will be larger of course.

·
Banned
1,371 Posts
The size of the box affects the sensitivity of the sub. In general terms it's not a very fair comparison.
But if you're building those subs...yes it's a fair comparison.
Because it's the same drivers, and same amp, The only difference in cost is another sheet of wood to build the ported box. Each box has 6 sides, the ported just has 6 big sides. The ported takes just a little more time to cut out and glue up. The only reason to go with sealed is if you want a little more output at less than 8hz in exchange for lots of output from 10hz to 50hz or if you need small boxes for some reason.

If you don't have restrictive space or décor constraints, 48 cuft of sub boxes really isn't that much to get 126db from 18hz up... After distance losses that's about the max volume of bass at ref level that you will see from a movie.

Seems downright reasonable when you realize that you can get that gain for ~$300 total in boxes. About $125 more than sealed boxes. Finishing costs depends on how pretty you want them to be.

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
the larger the enclosure, the better the performance...to a point.

there isn't much advantage to going larger than 4 cubic feet sealed with that driver nor going larger than about 12 cubic feet ported. those choices were not arbitrary.

increasing the size of the sealed cab to 12 cubic feet, for example, would not close the performance gap that the comparison is highlighting.

·
Registered
178 Posts
the larger the enclosure, the better the performance...to a point.

there isn't much advantage to going larger than 4 cubic feet sealed with that driver nor going larger than about 12 cubic feet ported. those choices were not arbitrary.

increasing the size of the sealed cab to 12 cubic feet, for example, would not close the performance gap that the comparison is highlighting.
Thank you. That's what I meant. Makes sense now. So, for the most part, its an apples to apples comparison.

Right on!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just a quick update built two enclosure and should get the other two done by the end of the week, then the boring bits like filling and sanding then primer.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
A single 4 CF sealed vs a single 12 CF ported will be close (though not identical) in cost.

The other perspective would be to have three 4 CF sealed boxes compared to one 12 CF ported box. Same volume, but the sealed system requires more drivers and amps, thus is more expensive.

Ultimately, everything is a compromise, between budget, size, and performance requirements. There's no single correct answer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts