AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about upgrading my sub. I currently have a crappy polk psw10 I got for free when I bought my polk speakers. For an upgrade I'm considering subs likes HSU STF-1 or BIC H100 (to give you an idea of price/perf range). I care more about musical performance of a sub than earth shaking movies performance.

I thinking if a good alternative would be building a DIY sub in psw10 enclosure ( basically installing a new 10" subwoofer and amp in the psw10 enclosure). The enclosure external dimensions are 14"x14"x16" (about 1.7 cu ft ?).

Would that make any sense? Could I get better performance than the retail subs I mentioned for similar cost ($200-250)? If yes, could you recommend a subwoofer and an amp to use?

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the links Habs4life.

I don't have tools or skills to build (and especially finish) a sub box. That's why I'm considering a DIY option (or should I say retrofit) only if I could "reuse" the polk cabinet.

How much of psw10 limitations are inherent in the the quality/volume of the box vs. quality of the components? How would components you linked to in the polk box compare to a retail sub in this price range (like SU STF-1 or BIC H100)?

·
Registered
622 Posts
sapek,

I am not familiar with either the HSU or the BIC so I cannot comment on them.Maybe someone else could advise you about them.

You could use the Polk box but it would probably have to be modified to fit the new driver and new amp.The DB 500 10" may fit without modification it has a basket diameter of 10.65" and needs a 9.25" cut out.You would also have to plug the port.

The Polk was build to a low price point so the driver and amp are both limiting factors.I think it was tuned to impress.In other words a nasty one note boom box.

Externally the enclosure looks good but I also wonder if they cut corners here too and didn't add any bracing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.