AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, another newbie to home audio.

Ok, I've been floating around here for awhile know and its time to start the process to having real bass. I have no experience other than what I have been able to pick up on this forum and read on a few other sites that people have put links too. I am starting to get some of the basics concepts, port velocity, X-mas, Re, etc. but do not know what is good vs not good and why. The graphs are also just nice picture to me. Need to start playing around with one of the modeling softwares. Please be patient if I ask some very basic questions through this process because I do desire to learn and not just build. I do have pretty good woodworking skills and have been building furniture (hobby only) for six years know. I also, have a full workshop so access to tools is not a problem.

I am looking for a ported subwoofer that is 100% HT. It will go into a basement that is approx 25ft x 25ft with 8 ft ceilings in half the area and 7 ft ceilings in the other half. The 7 ft section runs down the middle of the room and perpendicular to the view screen. Foundation is poured concrete. The walls are 2x4 construction that are very well insulated and covered with dry wall. No wall treatments in the room.

Will go with either a 15 or 18 inch driver - what ever you guys recommend. No real restrictions on the enclosure size, although I would like to keep it smaller than a refrigerator. Not sure how much that is in liters. This leads me into my first question. If you measure a box out to be say 24inx36inx24in (internal size) you get 12 cubic ft of volume. How do you convert that to liters? Plan to start off with one box and possibly adding another down the road if needed. Will power the sub with the ep2500 - not yet purchased. The cost of the driver needs to stay under $300 and have been considering the Tempest-X and IXL 18.4. Which of these drivers or any others would work the best for my situation? Also, what would you recommend as a tuning frequency? I was thinking around 14 hz.

The room, driver size options and budget, amp have been covered. If there is anything else that I need to provide just let me know.

So what do you think as far a driver and enclosure volume goes? Once that gets finalized I will move onto modeling the driver and designing an enclosure and probably a plethora of questions.

Thanks in advance for your guidance. Without sites like this I am positive that I would blow something up. Its just my nature.

John

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I'd do the IXL, neodan has some plans for one floating around here, I'm too lazy atm to grab a link, its been a LONG day for me, I think the thread was called IXL meets the easy button.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Paul /forum/post/12857714

If you measure a box out to be say 24inx36inx24in (internal size) you get 12 cubic ft of volume. How do you convert that to liters?

Here is a site I use for conversions of volume.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/volume.htm

I am sorta new to the DIY sub crowd as well but after my first sub I was convinced. I even sold my JL Audio F113.

I am now working on a pair of TC-2000's with passive radiators for music in the front of the room and already have a TC-3000 for the LFE. The TC-2000's are tuned to about 16hz and the TC-3000 to about 25hz for that midbass punch in the stomach.

As far as driver and enclosure size there are much more knowledgable people on this forum. If you are going to build a LLT I would personally want a second sub for the midbass. I used to own a pair of SVS CS-Ultra's and while the pair shook the whole house the midbass was lacking as compared to the Earthquake Supernova I also had.

Welcome to the world of DIY, it can be extremely rewarding.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 /forum/post/12858111

I'd do the IXL, neodan has some plans for one floating around here, I'm too lazy atm to grab a link, its been a LONG day for me, I think the thread was called IXL meets the easy button.

Definately good call on that one army. Neodan really helped me out and his designs kick ass.

Here is the link to IXL 18 meets the "Easy Button"

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=875108

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the replies. I will be reading through the IXL Easy Button thread over the weekend. Looks like a great place to start.

mjaudio & Stinn- thanks for the conversion links. People are always giving volume by literes and i just could not picture how big the actual size would be in inches.

Have a good holiday weekend.

Now no more computer for today - off to drink a few cold ones.

Cheers,

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts