AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm completely new to the DIY speaker world but am curious if I can build 4 subs of comparable quality to my 2 SVS PB-2000 subs for what I paid for the SVS? I have been reading up a bit on various builds but it can be a bit overwhelming at times so I'm looking for very simple advice on what I need exactly to build a good sounding sub.

I love my SVS subs but I really want to run a 7.4 system and 2 more PB-2000s simply isn't in the budget so I'm wondering if I could sell the two I have and build 4. I'm in the designing/construction phase of my dedicated HT so I have a little time but I'm still researching.

I literally have no concept of what components sound good together since I haven't yet done this. I can build a computer in 20 minutes and wouldn't dream of buying one "off the shelf" so I'm wondering if a DIY sub has similar benefits.

Depending on what I can sell my subs for I'd say budget is about $1600 for 4 subs, including all necessary components to make the subs work.

AVR is an Onkyo 818 and I have 3 EMP e55Ti towers up front powered with an Emotiva XPA-3.

Any advice is appreciated. I don't need to go so overkill on the subs but I want very even bass throughout my room and with no less SQ as my SVS.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Welcome to DIY.

I am in almost exactly the same boat you are, except I have a single SVS PB12-Plus/2 and am looking for an upgrade the DIY route.

A few weeks ago I started this thread for which I was aiming at essentially the same goal as you. If you read through it you'll get plenty of ideas.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1522836/alternatives-to-dual-sealed-dayton-ultimax-18s

Since you've currently got ported subs (as did I) you should really look toward sticking with ported due to much higher efficiency over sealed. Originally I was considering sealed simply due to ease of build and size. There are plenty of flat packs (pre cut MDF panels) available for sealed enclosures but very few for ported, and the ones for ported are pricey since they are heavy and cost a lot to ship.

The biggest cost to consider is whether or not you will do the building 100% yourself, starting with sheets of MDF from your local store. After strongly considering flatpacks for weeks, I changed my mind and decided to do it from scratch. Huge savings going this route. I was quoted a price of $630 for two enclosures from a member on here (all the panels cut, I would still have to assemble them) and doing it myself from scratch while it will take much longer I can probably build both for around $175 total.

If you're looking for 4 enclosures, you could build ~8ft3 ported enclosures loaded with a single 18" driver each as I plan on doing (except only 2 for me) and tune them anywhere from 16hz up depending on your movie/music ratio (lower for movies, higher for music). Two of these enclosures alone will smoke what you currently have (and what I currently have) so 4 would be pretty insane.

You could start with 2 and add 2 down the line.

To give you an idea of the enclosure size, I plan on mine being 30" x 30" x 21". Not sure if you have space constraints, but they would be a bit bigger than your current SVS subs of course.

If you do everything yourself you'll come well inside your $1600 budget. You can build your enclosures yourself for probably a max of $100 each, drivers like the Dayton HO would be $250 each (less if you can find a better deal out there or come across some SI 18's) and you'd be looking at $300-$400 for an amp such as the inuke3000 or inuke6000 to power a pair of enclosures. So I'd say $900 for the two enclosures that will smoke what you currently have, then another $900 if you wanted to add 2 more down the line. I personally think you'd be more than happy with just 2; I plan to be

Check out that thread though that I started since everything I just said was based on the info I got from the way more knowledgeable guys on this site.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts

Quote:
I literally have no concept of what components sound good together since I haven't yet done this. I can build a computer in 20 minutes and wouldn't dream of buying one "off the shelf" so I'm wondering if a DIY sub has similar benefits.

DIY will knock your socks off, for sure

Quote:
Depending on what I can sell my subs for I'd say budget is about $1600 for 4 subs, including all necessary components to make the subs work.

2 x Behringer iNuke 3000 DSP

4 x Dayton HO 15

Build 4 boxes (4-4.5 cu ft tuned to 22-23Hz) placed in each corner of your listening room

OR

1 x Behringer iNuke 3000 DSP

4 x Dayton HO 15

Build 2 boxes (8-8.5 cu ft tuned to 20-21Hz) each box having two drivers connected in parallel for a 2 ohms configuration. Run each pair separately on each channel of iNuke.

Both options will murder SVS. I'd personally go for the second option.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
As the other poster stated, most of the ported DIY subs here will blow away what you currently have. As long as they are done correctly. There is a member on here that is selling a couple of Stereo Integrity subs,brand new still in boxes. Don't know where you are located but he is in the Los Angeles area. Here are a few prices for you to consider. Yes doing the mdf box yourself if you are able to build it will save you money but there are options if you have no way to cut it yourself.

2- 18" Subs $500 ( If you get the SI subs, they are going to be a little less)

1- inuke 6000dsp $400

2- MDF Boxes $250 (MDF, Screws, glue, duratex)

Misc Hardware and wires $50

So put those subs up for sale and start building a marty cube or something similar.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha wow I'm almost sold already! Sounds exciting. I do have access to many woodworking tools including a table saw so perhaps I should try to make my own enclosures. I was thinking I'd go with 4 15" subs since my room is only 2400cu ft. It's 100% for movies so I'll tune low. Thank you all for the insight. I have lots to read up on now.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
If you decide to go with 15" subs look at the Stereo Integrity 15" D4 subs, you can run 2 of them in 2ohm mode with an inuke 3000dsp and get ported boxes for them. That will be insane!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u  /t/1525825/diy-sub-noob#post_24567998

If you decide to go with 15" subs look at the Stereo Integrity 15" D4 subs, you can run 2 of them in 2ohm mode with an inuke 3000dsp and get ported boxes for them. That will be insane!
Where should I look for those subs?

·
Registered
207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u  /t/1525825/diy-sub-noob#post_24567831

There is a member on here that is selling a couple of Stereo Integrity subs,brand new still in boxes. Don't know where you are located but he is in the Los Angeles area.

Not to get too far off the thread topic, but are they listed on the classifieds or is this word of mouth?  I missed out on the last SI 18's by a couple hours, and might be interested myself.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not sure if you have any size restrictions, or if I missed those restrictions...if you decide to for 18s, give the full size Marty a look. I just built one to compare to a single sealed Dayton 18 and the Marty (using another Dayton 18) from 15Hz up crushes my single sealed.

Another option is the Lilwrecker. Yeah, it's about the size of a fridge, but will give tremendous output to 15-16Hzish.

Best of luck for whatever you decide. And throw some pictures on here too!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeskizzle  /t/1525825/diy-sub-noob#post_24570541

Not sure if you have any size restrictions, or if I missed those restrictions...if you decide to for 18s, give the full size Marty a look. I just built one to compare to a single sealed Dayton 18 and the Marty (using another Dayton 18) from 15Hz up crushes my single sealed.

Another option is the Lilwrecker. Yeah, it's about the size of a fridge, but will give tremendous output to 15-16Hzish.

Best of luck for whatever you decide. And throw some pictures on here too!

Zero size restrictions and I have just been reading up on the Marty. I just wonder if 18s would be overkill for my room (though who am I kidding, overkill doesn't exist in this forum ha). Hmm haven't heard about the lilwrecker, I'll check that out too. I absolutely love the way my current subs (PB-2000) sound but I feel for what I spent on them I could add another 2 subs for total room enveloping bass, which is what I'm after. I think 4 18s would be a bit much so I'm leaning towards 4 12s or 15s but I do want to go ported for sure.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypucks  /t/1525825/diy-sub-noob#post_24570571

Zero size restrictions and I have just been reading up on the Marty. I just wonder if 18s would be overkill for my room (though who am I kidding, overkill doesn't exist in this forum ha). Hmm haven't heard about the lilwrecker, I'll check that out too. I absolutely love the way my current subs (PB-2000) sound but I feel for what I spent on them I could add another 2 subs for total room enveloping bass, which is what I'm after. I think 4 18s would be a bit much so I'm leaning towards 4 12s or 15s but I do want to go ported for sure.

Haha, you're right. Overkill doesn't exist on this forum. It's more accurately called "headroom." Because....what if you randomly ended up moving and you had "only" 4 15s. You might be glad that you went with 4 18s. Course, that logic could lead you to multiple SI 24"s...which would give more headroom.
Ah, you get the point.

Reactions: cessna1466u

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I see your point. My current house is perfect for a dedicated theater room so it would be tough to leave but it's always a possibility since money talks ha. I'm still leaning towards starting with one 15 and listen to how it sounds. I can use it in my living room and then build the other 4 if I like it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts