AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

It seems we have far more limited options for subs here in the UK. I'm looking for a reasonably priced 15" or 18" sub (say, £300) to do my first DIY build. If it goes well I'll do a second. I'd like to keep box to 5 or 6 cubic feet. I'll probably use a Behringer EP4000 or 2500 as they are available in the UK and seem a popular choice here.

Thoughts for subwoofer options available here? Alternatively, anyone know of anyone who imports the Maelstrom 18" to the UK...... I like the look of that beast!

Cheers

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,

Im on the same quest as you. I want to build a dual 12-15'' sub setup with an EP-4000 as the amp. I think passive radiators would be the best choice....no port noise. So far what i've found in the UK is this: http://www.europe-audio.nl/Product.asp?Product_ID=7682

I live in Estonia, so i have to order from the EU unless i can get some U.S. made drivers really cheap. Otherwise i have to pay customs fee and expensive transportation costs.

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Right matey,

I live here in the Uk and you really have two easy options and a few more difficult options.

Easy options:

FI Q18 - www.bladeice.com Speak to Am Singh and he will sort you out. I bought the pre 2010 Q18's and love them to bits. An 18" driver is about £350 all in. They are a UK distributor for FI Car Audio in the states.

Exodus Maelstrom 18" but more expensive. Around £500.

The other option is to import something like the mach audio 18" About $225 but you will have shipping costs, VAT, tax etc...

AE speakers do a 15" but again you will have the same costs.

I would go with the FI Q18". You won't be disappointed.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks Graham.

I've (Google) searched for a UK distributor for the Maelstrom but without luck but if it's one of your 'easy options' does that mean you know who sells it here? With my limited knowledge I would rather go with a popular option, even if it is more expensive.

I'll look into the QI.

thanks again

Simon

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Simon,

the distributor for the maelstrom is in norway or sweden. I will try to find out the name etc... and let you know. The malx is a better sub than the Q18 but not nearly twice as good when you think think the Q18 models very similar to the malx 18".

FI are bringing out a new line off drivers with two new high excursion subs. I would wait a couple off weeks for the info on them as they are geared more towards Home cinema. They will be on Blade ice's website in a couple off weeks.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seems streamingaudio are not selling at the moment!

Really not keen on importing from the US (long trip in which the drive could get damaged!) so looks like I'll wait for the new FIs. Assuming the overall requirements of the new drives are similar to the current drives, what is the best way to run them (in terms of box size). HT use only......

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gperkins1973 /forum/post/19536154

Simon

The 15" is only marginally cheaper than the 18" so I would stick with that driver. I would think the new line will be better than the Q's

cheers

Graham

Cheers Graham.... I was replying to muskel re: the 15s. I will definitely be going for 18" myself and will wait to see what the new line is like.

Assuming the overall requirements of the new drives are similar to the current drives, what is the best way to run them (in terms of box size). HT use only......

Simon

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by batfink007 /forum/post/19536120

Seems streamingaudio are not selling at the moment!

Really not keen on importing from the US (long trip in which the drive could get damaged!) so looks like I'll wait for the new FIs. Assuming the overall requirements of the new drives are similar to the current drives, what is the best way to run them (in terms of box size). HT use only......

Thanks

I emailed Exodus Audio and it seems that these are the new European resellers:
http://www.speakerworld.nl/

No stock at the moment though! I've email them to see if they ship to the UK and the approximate shipping cost......

Simon

1 - 20 of 27 Posts