AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So, I've been doing a lot of lurking and reading over the last several weeks.  I came here accidently enough, and now I've officially fallen down the rabbit hole and am plotting out DIY builds.

I know the conventional wisdom is to start with a DIY sub, since they are "easy".  And that's where I was thinking of starting.  I've got a iNuke3000DSP on order from Parts Express.  Figured for $255 on the Spring Sale, I couldn't pass it up.   I waited about 3 hours too long to order my SI 18's though - figured I'd do it over lunch.  Little did I know they would sell out before I could get back to order them.  Which now leaves me waiting to order a driver until some sort of sale/clearance comes up again.  I'm not a huge fan of paying full price on things, and usually have the patience to wait it out.  

And then I started cruising DIY speaker threads, mainly for entertainment value.  Which made my Polk Monitor 70's/ CS2 feel woefully inadequate. I've always considered them OK, but always knew in the back of my mind they never had the clarity/impact that I've heard on some high end speaker systems my friends had.  

So....on the theory that my mains/center are the most important speakers in the room, I'm wondering if I should use my funds to upgrade them first.  I've never owned a sub, so it's not like I know what I'm missing.   I've got the woodworking skills to build anything, but not the electronics skills.  But it looks like I can buy pre-made crossovers to solve that. 

I've got a 6,500-7,000 cubic foot room, so it's challenging.  I don't' expect monster SPL, but do want something that can sound good across all of it and have a wide sound field.  Extremely directional speakers won't work well given my layout, in my novice opinion.

I'm curious to hear thoughts on how you would tackle this.  Speakers or sub first?   I know the "correct" answer is to get rid of everything and start over, but I need to stagger this out a bit.  Time, money, and WAF all come into play. 

·
Registered
12 Posts
Agreed, sub first. It will make the biggest difference and will wow the wife whereas upgrading front speakers is needed but does not have the same impact.

Polks are considered strictly mid-fi by many these days. The current crop of Polks are largely built to sell to the masses and make money. I had Polk SDAs 20 years ago and loved them, but that was a different time and Polk was trying to do something different.

What's your budget for a sub? Space limitations?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

That makes a lot of sense.  Wow factor is good!  I'll stick with the plan to build some subs then.

I have minimal space limitations, this is a 800 sq ft finished basement and my HT setup only covers about 1/3 (couches and all)  Things are tight up front with the TV, so the subs are going to have to be on the sides.  At some point, I hope to get rid of the Monitor 70s and put the subs where they are.  Then get some smaller front speakers.   

I do draw the line on size from an aesthetic angle though.  Martycube is about as big as I want to go, but I'd prefer smaller.  I also understand the tradeoffs with size, so know I can't do something too small for my room either. 

Budget?  I'd like to stay under $700, all in with duals.  I've got $255 into the Inuke3000DSP already.  I can do the building myself, so that will save a decent amount over flat packs. 

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuetdeo  /t/1525259/diy-sub-or-tower-best-place-to-begin#post_24561751

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-1260w-1200-watt-High-Performance/dp/B0028AVGEO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396480240&sr=8-1&keywords=1260+infinity in a 4.5 cubic box ported to 23 hz $100-150 a piece if you got the tools. Build 4 and wow her!

Yeah, I've been watching the other thread on here about those drivers.  I was thinking about playing around on WinISD tonight with them and seeing how they perform.   They are definitely bang for buck.

·
Registered
342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador  /t/1525259/diy-sub-or-tower-best-place-to-begin#post_24561757

With $445 left in the budget, that doesn't leave much for dual subs and materials.
the $150 price is the cost of the sub, wood, glue, etc if he has the tools. he could do two to start and add a third later and still be right at his target budget IMO

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador  /t/1525259/diy-sub-or-tower-best-place-to-begin#post_24561757

With $445 left in the budget, that doesn't leave much for dual subs and materials.

That's been one reason for my hesitation.  But then I look at the SVS offerings and realize that I can get a lot more performance for about the same price DIY.  Which then has me back here reading old threads. 

As far as budget goes, the reality is that if I can get in under $700 with the amp + drivers, I'm just going to ignore the wood and other materials costs. 
  I might also just build one to begin with, see how it goes and add another later.  

I do have all the tools and woodworking supplies I need.  One of my other hobbies is building mission furniture from rough cut quarter sawn white oak.

·
Registered
342 Posts
so if we are counting amp and drivers only, you could get 8 1260s for 250$. Sounds awesome to me!

·
Registered
342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751  /t/1525259/diy-sub-or-tower-best-place-to-begin#post_24561902

Ah ok. Also you will want the 1262's with that amplifier to get the most out of it

Yeah my amps are old carvers that only do 300 a ch. So the 1260s work great for me. Still either way I don't believe you can beat the price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts