AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at building a sub (well two) for my newly finished home theater (approx 3500 CF). I'm currently running a single Def tech super cube, while it was fine for the living room system, down in the theater just doesn't have the response I'm looking for. My thoughts are to build a stage in front of the screen (106") and elevate it off the ground approx 4" to allow for down firing subs. looking at building the stage as 2 separate pieces for ease of movement. looking at 4ft x 3 ft x 1.25 ft to start which would leave about 12 CU each after bracing. I have seen something similar to this on the web somewhere just wanted to get advice if this seems like a good idea or not.


Questions:


TC sounds LMS R-15 sound like a good application?


Volume, is 12 CF enough for sealed for this sub?


Power: how much should I use, don't want to bring down the house, but want to be hit in the chest when an explosion hits on screen. Thinking possibly a Emotiva XPA-2 ([email protected] ohm) to go with a XPA-3 for the LCR channels.


Is 1 layer of 3/4" MDF enough or do i need 2 layers? Plan on bracing every 16"



Really appropriate any feedback and direction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,345 Posts
You should check out some other builds using that particular driver. There is also a program called winisd that you can use to figure out optimal box size. These are all questions that can be easily answered with a little bit of research. Look at something like crown, Behringer or QSC pro amps for a sub amp and you will save a few dollars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Perhaps 2 Cinema F-20's would work. You could lay them side by side as a platform (stage) and have them firing toward the side walls. You'd have tons more spl than what you're planning and it would be cheaper to build.


Just a thought...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99 /forum/post/20867714


Perhaps 2 Cinema F-20's would work. You could lay them side by side as a platform (stage) and have them firing toward the side walls. You'd have tons more spl than what you're planning and it would be cheaper to build.


Just a thought...

Thanks, I can't have the subs aimed at the walls since my eq rack is on the adjacent wall. (also would love not to crack the walls J)


I ran the driver through the program mentioned in a previous post with limited results, does anyone have any experience with this driver in a sealed application ? I'm not necessarily looking for high SPL, more of the right feel to the room, nothing "boomy".



Thanks,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyDIYtheater /forum/post/0



Thanks, I can't have the subs aimed at the walls since my eq rack is on the adjacent wall. (also would love not to crack the walls J)


I ran the driver through the program mentioned in a previous post with limited results, does anyone have any experience with this driver in a sealed application ? I'm not necessarily looking for high SPL, more of the right feel to the room, nothing "boomy".


Thanks,

How far did you get with winisd?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 /forum/post/20869596


How far did you get with winisd?

I pulled the TS parameters in, entered my box size and looked at the response curves, seemed a bit weird, changed the volume around several times an response only got above 0 db in the 60-80hz range with very small boxes (weird to me since a 15 should be great in the 25-45 range, which is what I am looking for) Obviously I'm doing something wrong with the program.


I know that a ported box will get larger SPL gains but like I said before I'd rather have 2-4 drivers and no port (do not want any chance of port noise).


Thanks,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyDIYtheater /forum/post/0



I pulled the TS parameters in, entered my box size and looked at the response curves, seemed a bit weird, changed the volume around several times an response only got above 0 db in the 60-80hz range with very small boxes (weird to me since a 15 should be great in the 25-45 range, which is what I am looking for) Obviously I'm doing something wrong with the program.


I know that a ported box will get larger SPL gains but like I said before I'd rather have 2-4 drivers and no port (do not want any chance of port noise).


Thanks,

You have to change the drop down menu to spl in order to see range and spl. I think your looking at the transfer function magnitude screen. If you can post a picture of your screen so we can look at it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 /forum/post/20869645


You have to change the drop down menu to spl in order to see range and spl. I think your looking at the transfer function magnitude screen. If you can post a picture of your screen so we can look at it.

First off, do these TS look correct, the driver wasn't in the catalog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyDIYtheater /forum/post/0



First off, do these TS look correct, the driver wasn't in the catalog.

You can get the parameters on partsexpress.com in the spec sheet on the right of the page. Also you should download winisd alpha. It looks like you are using the beta version.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyDIYtheater /forum/post/0



First off, do these TS look correct, the driver wasn't in the catalog.

Mpray is right, you should download the alpha version. If you go to the home theater shack look in the DIY general subwoofer sub forum for a thread title - help w/winsid. Someone there modeled the LMS-R15 for me. Click on the link, download it to your computer and your good to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,345 Posts
The TS parameters are in the manual for TC sounds. Your right tho it is easier just to download the file. Especially for a newbie because winisd can be fussy. It is not going to figure out proper enclosure size for you. Just type In "subwoofer enclosure calculator" into google and click on the first option. That will take you to a calculator that will help you figure out interior volume once you find optimal size in winisd.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top