AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very well. Riddle me this.

Can I build a sub for less to compete ? As a novice.

I have the tools. Planer , Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Routers, Tablesaw, Clamps, etc. Full woodshop.

What I lack is technical prowess in speaker knowledge.

I have tried reading , but there is just about too much info to get started.

Building a box to me is the easiest part. Driver, Amp, Crossover(?) are what I don't know where to start.

Manufacturers have 12" subs that go from 300 to 800 and are obviously different. So I presume, the same will be for DIY projects.

How do I figure what will make it work in 12x25x8 = 2400 cu ft on slab?

Can I build one that is musical as well as theater like HSU?

Also Note, I have a crappy Klipsch PSW12 in the attic. Logic board is fried (integrated Amp, crossover, panel, whater you call it). I was never really "happy" with it to begin with. To boomy. It made things rattle but was sloppy.

So I guess, those with experience, should this noob bother with DIY concept or just drop 800 on HSU?

Thanks for the time,

VSX-1021,

Polk M60's

55" LED LCD

13x25x8' 'sealed' room on slab.

*probably 33% each Theater,Gaming,Music (mainly classical)

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
What I lack is technical prowess in speaker knowledge.

10 minutes online with WinISD and boxnotes.exe will give you everything you need

The real trick right now is to find a driver.......the DIY world has been hurt badly and the supply of quality low cost drivers has dried up.

The other point about DIY is that its all about the journey, the success and/or failures that make it all worth while. If you build one subs, would you build again? would you then build mains??? If there is a possibility of future DIY projects then its even more worth it IMO.

$800 DIY vs $800 VTF?? Do you want a finish that is as good as??

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may welcome the build, and yes, I suppose if I get addicted I would probably consider building more.

Finish, I can smoke any finish I have seen. Doesn't mean I will. I can make my own veneer out of boards with my bandsaw and drum sander (though I am between drum sanders at the moment).

I am torn between Flat black finishes and Nicer cabinets. When watching flicks I like black hidden / unobtrusive speakers. When relaxing listening to music I

like to look at them.

Thanks for the links. I will check those out.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
if i were you, i ordered the HSU and call it a day.

once you have walked on the path of diy, you can never stop. that is unless you like an endless journey full of wonderful adventures and challenges.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know what you are going thru. I am in the same boat. I have learned alot in the last week doing what penngray has stated, also many others here have given me some insight.

I have always been a DIY type. I've tackled some really big projects in the past. (none speaker related) Some of those project cost started coming in close to what I could of just went out and bought, so now i am a little hesitant.

All i know is I got a Polk and I want to do better than that. I havent heard a good sub so I am not sure what it is that I need. When I read the reveiws on the Hsu, svs, ED... and peeps say they wet their pants at some point in a movie because the bass caught them by surprise. That is what I want. I am still not sure if that is extension or spl's or maybe both. I have learned that to have both requires either smaller budget but large boxes or smaller boxes but larger budget.

good luck,

volt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.