AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 186 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Make some new friends that have tools. At least you posted your state but FL is big.

A few years ago someone at a car audio forum posted that they needed help building a sub. I was free that weekend and volunteered to help out. The guy that showed up turned out to be 16. He was enthusiastic and I was able to teach him some woodworking skills that would make sure he kept all 10 fingers. He is still an audio fanatic and now works at https://www.realturntable.com/
Good on you. You made an impression that he'll never forget.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yeah I think the JBL’s would be your best bet being in a small room you’ll get some room gain on the lower frequencies.

If you don’t mind having multiple drivers that is.

I’d start out first with 4 JBL CS1214’s, two dual sealed boxes, & an iNUKE 6000dsp.

Like you stated you could use them as stands for your fronts or sides or you could place them directly behind your MLP.

You’d have only spent ~300 for the drivers & cabs & another ~400 for the amp. That’d still leave you half your budget to mess around with. You may decide you want another 4 for a total of eight or you may want to throw an 18” into the mix w/ the 12’s. There’s plenty of options.

I’d give this thread a read through, there’s plenty of answers to your questions regarding different configurations, different size boxes, ported vs sealed, wattage, etc.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/2932574-12-jbl-speaker-29-black-friday-bestbuy.html

Also if you are looking for an 18” I’d give these a look, not as good w/ extension as the Ultimax but, only 1/3 the price.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-pa460-8-18-pro-woofer--295-036
what you say about this options

Quad double subwoofer box JBL 12'' on each corner
Quad single boxes JBL 12'' stack on top of each, two on each corner
Quad single boxed mix up 2 sealed 2 ported - is this even a good option - one sealed and ported on each corner
Dual 15''
Dual 18''

Would you say the 15'' be a happy medium bass per $$ compared to quad JBL 12''

I just don't really see myself having more sub around the room.
So I have to get the best I can for the front.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
13x13x9 lol, my room is 11x24x7...Roughly 1850cuft and you are at 1500cu ft. 4 jbl 12's is proving to be plenty, but im doing 8 because I got the amp, and the space, and the need.

8 in your 1500cuft room will be all youd ever need lol.

I watched super troopers 2 last night and theres a scene at the saw mill, its like sine waves of bass and my 4 were doing great and filling the room great. 8 will take into overdrive if needed...but 4 is "enough". Just have to make sure placement is right, and definitely need DSP in some form.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
btw, ive had good luck with LMinnovations on ebay for my boxes. I buy the dual 15" sealed cabinet and then I cut a baffle out of 1/2 mdf. Right now they have a 10% off ebay coupon. I got the first 2 for 77$ shipped and the second 2 were 86$ shipped. Cant beat that for finished boxes!
I was not able to find them.

can you post a link so I can take a look or save for later reference.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
what you say about this options

Quad double subwoofer box JBL 12'' on each corner
Quad single boxes JBL 12'' stack on top of each, two on each corner
Quad single boxed mix up 2 sealed 2 ported - is this even a good option - one sealed and ported on each corner
Dual 15''
Dual 18''

Would you say the 15'' be a happy medium bass per $$ compared to quad JBL 12''

I just don't really see myself having more sub around the room.
So I have to get the best I can for the front.
I believe you’re putting too much emphasis on driver size.

If we’re talking about (1) HSU 10” vs (1) HSU 15” you have a good case but, with DIY there’s a lot of other factors.

If I were you I’d start out with 4 JBL 12’s in dual sealed boxes. I’d probably put (2) in one front corner & (2) in the other front corner.

You definitely don’t want to have one sealed w/ another ported. It’d be a disaster getting them to work together.

But like I said, if you do not like the idea of having (4) drivers then just get two of these & put them in the front stage

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-18-reference-series-ho-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7094

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
13x13x9 lol, my room is 11x24x7...Roughly 1850cuft and you are at 1500cu ft. 4 jbl 12's is proving to be plenty, but im doing 8 because I got the amp, and the space, and the need.

8 in your 1500cuft room will be all youd ever need lol.

I watched super troopers 2 last night and theres a scene at the saw mill, its like sine waves of bass and my 4 were doing great and filling the room great. 8 will take into overdrive if needed...but 4 is "enough". Just have to make sure placement is right, and definitely need DSP in some form.
wow talk about a lot of drivers,

just to clarify if I get the JBL 12 it would only be 4 of them two on each corner. for a total of 4 drivers so if I get the dual box it would be 1 on each side to have 2 driver on each side.

so would that be good for my room.

If not I could look into dual 15'' one on each corner, how would that compare to quad 12'' two 12 on each corner.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I believe you’re putting too much emphasis on driver size.

If we’re talking about (1) HSU 10” vs (1) HSU 15” you have a good case but, with DIY there’s a lot of other factors.

If I were you I’d start out with 4 JBL 12’s in dual sealed boxes. I’d probably put (2) in one front corner & (2) in the other front corner.

You definitely don’t want to have one sealed w/ another ported. It’d be a disaster getting them to work together.

But like I said, if you do not like the idea of having (4) drivers then just get two of these & put them in the front stage

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-18-reference-series-ho-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7094
yes I probably putting to much effort into what if.

No I don't mind having multiple drivers, just wondering if Dual 15 would be much better to quad 12 or about the same bass wise? how would the bass per $$ compare

or just go and grab dual 18''.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
8 is entry level for those jbls, lot of people running 12-16, maybe more. When you have 8 subs but only ~$270 in drivers it makes complete sense, it just sounds crazy to people thinking 8 subs.....1 ultimax 18 is 325$ and 8 12's can do wonders for room modes and mid bass.

Im actually running my 4 like that, 2 in each front corner, about 10" from the side walls and its great, very even across all seats.
@cloudbuster, Im sorry, VMinnovations, 48$ dual 15" box, then I bought 2 half sheets of 1/2 mdf and make a new front baffle. The 1/2 seems to be strong enough since its got 5/8 behind most of it, gotta be careful on your cut out and screw selection though to mount the driver

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
yes I probably putting to much effort into what if.

No I don't mind having multiple drivers, just wondering if Dual 15 would be much better to quad 12 or about the same bass wise? how would the bass per $$ compare

or just go and grab dual 18''.
$ vs performance you cannot beat the JBL’s.

4 JBL’s = 1 Ultimax 18 in terms of performance

But dollar wise you’re spending

$120 vs $325 just on drivers.

So if you’re budget oriented you could get (2) Ultimax 18” performance for the price of (1) Ultimax 18” driver.

Dollar vs performance the JBL is your best bet.

The only reason we keep mentioning going with the 18’s is because some people can’t wrap their mind around having 4-8 subs in their room regardless of how cheap they are.

Edit: in response to the 15’s, they’re not much cheaper than the 18’s are, which is why I wouldn’t recommend them. The reason the JBL’s are loved so much is because they’re $30 compared to $300

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I get it much better now.

Hmm let me go back to thinking.

I think I got this figure out so 8 JBL 12 in my 13x13x9 room.

two on each front corner serving as speaker stand = 4 on the front
two on each side surround serving as surround stand = 2 on each side = 4 extra drivers

for a total of 8 JBL 12''

wow I think this would be epic then.
But I would only have side surround no rear so they would be on each side of the chairs

would this sound like the ultimate setup?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I get it much better now.

Hmm let me go back to thinking.

I think I got this figure out so 8 JBL 12 in my 13x13x9 room.

two on each front corner serving as speaker stand = 4 on the front
two on each side surround serving as surround stand = 2 on each side = 4 extra drivers

for a total of 8 JBL 12''

wow I think this would be epic then.
But I would only have side surround no rear so they would be on each side of the chairs

would this sound like the ultimate setup?
Well technically you could put them wherever you want.

If you’d rather have 4 corner loaded up front as stands & have the other 4 as rear stands instead of sides that’d work too.

Or you could have 4 upfront & the other 4 directly behind your seating for nearfield. It’s whatever works best in your room really.

My room is 9x15, I just finished building a 9cuft 18” it’s 30” x 30” x 21” & I wish now that I would’ve done the JBL’s instead. My room being so small I only have one place I can really put this big ass box. The 12’s would at least give you options.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well technically you could put them wherever you want.

If you’d rather have 4 corner loaded up front as stands & have the other 4 as rear stands instead of sides that’d work too.

Or you could have 4 upfront & the other 4 directly behind your seating for nearfield. It’s whatever works best in your room really.

My room is 9x15, I just finished building a 9cuft 18” it’s 30” x 30” x 21” & I wish now that I would’ve done the JBL’s instead. My room being so small I only have one place I can really put this big ass box. The 12’s would at least give you options.
I would only have 5.x.x setup maybe if I do a 7 setup I could add 4 more for speaker stand for a total of 12 wow but I don't think I have space for a 7.x.x setup I would stick with 5.x.x

I guess you are right I could play with them from side to side from the chair keeping the surround speaker on top as I don't want to add speaker stand plus the subs it would fill the room with to much stuff I prefer to use the same space and just add the surround speaker on top of the subs.

now the question would 4 or 8 of this 12'' JBL shake stuff from the desk like loose TV remotes and light stuff like that?

30x30x21 that is a big box.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
8 is entry level for those jbls, lot of people running 12-16, maybe more. When you have 8 subs but only ~$270 in drivers it makes complete sense, it just sounds crazy to people thinking 8 subs.....1 ultimax 18 is 325$ and 8 12's can do wonders for room modes and mid bass.

Im actually running my 4 like that, 2 in each front corner, about 10" from the side walls and its great, very even across all seats.

@cloudbuster, Im sorry, VMinnovations, 48$ dual 15" box, then I bought 2 half sheets of 1/2 mdf and make a new front baffle. The 1/2 seems to be strong enough since its got 5/8 behind most of it, gotta be careful on your cut out and screw selection though to mount the driver
I think I would go with the 12'' JBL now the question should I get the vented box or sealed.
When you run the 12'' do you feel any kind of rumbling on the seating position?

thank for the clarification on the 15''. but it seem that four 12'' on front and four more as surround would be a killer setup.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
I think I would go with the 12'' JBL now the question should I get the vented box or sealed.
The JBL is NOT VIABLE in a ported box. It needs ~5cf for adequate SPL, and with that much space used, its cheaper to go with larger drivers.

The JBL is ONLY a option if doing mutliples in sealed boxes. The JBL prefer's 1.2 - 1.7cf (per driver). Doenst matter if they are all in one big box, multiple smaller boxes connected together, etc. Giving less or more cf per driver doesn't hurt it persay, just adjusts the power requirements upward or downward respectively.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The JBL is NOT VIABLE in a ported box. It needs ~5cf for adequate SPL, and with that much space used, its cheaper to go with larger drivers.

The JBL is ONLY a option if doing mutliples in sealed boxes. The JBL prefer's 1.2 - 1.7cf (per driver). Doenst matter if they are all in one big box, multiple smaller boxes connected together, etc. Giving less or more cf per driver doesn't hurt it persay, just adjusts the power requirements upward or downward respectively.
I was thinking the 12 vented box from part express could be used but is small it may be designed for a different driver.

by any chance do you know how low the 12'' hit having so many in a room 4 to 8

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
Varies by room and distance from subs.

I was thinking the 12 vented box from part express could be used but is small it may be designed for a different driver.
The small vented box is also likely tuned high, meaning you wont get a low response like many want for HT (19hz or lower). A tune that low requires a large box per driver, which makes it not as viable as a lot of little boxes.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
the dual 15" sealed enclosure I use measures 34x16.5x13(14) when im done with the 1/2 baffle and then the sub also adds another ~1/2 inch. its 1.9, so im probably slightly above 1.7 but its working well. You could even get creative and build a speaker grill for the box. The black carpet is nice over grey, but its cheap quality.

Id order 8 since they are cheap and work, do 2 in each front corner as stands, give it a try...then id add 4 more across the bottom under a center channel or whatever IF you need more. A room that small you may be happy with 4. Most guys run them nearfield, I tried it and tried them up front and I like them upfront, they are pretty violent nearfield lol, you are literally in the movie.

Like endershadow said, 4 is the only way these 12s work. and you need to boost the bottom end and kill some peaks on the high end.

with 8 I think its safe to say 10-15hz on the low end, but thats with DSP. Certainly 15-20 but hes right it will vary on room to room and placement

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1507428-follgott-s-build-18-x-peerless-xxls12.html

That build blew my mind, flat to 3hz lol, then I saw what people were doing with the jbls, an array of them certainly is the way to go if you ask me. But we are comparing 18 $200+ subs to 8 32$ subs!

Reactions: DaBateman

·
Registered
980 Posts
If 4 of the JBLs is your hard limit to the amount you could do and they are limited to the front of your room then I'd take the 2 UM18s all day long without question. Skip the 15s and stick with the 18s, as there isn't a whole lot of space saved, and the cost differential isn't much either.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts

You’ll easily get below 20Hz w/ DSP.

Also if you need an amp the iNUKE 3000dsp is $180 on BestBuy atm they’re regular $280 so I’d jump on two of them

21 - 40 of 186 Posts