AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m new to this forum and I’m looking for some advice. It looks like there’s ton of information on here but I was hoping to get some advice specific to my situation, and I really appreciate it in advance.

I’m building a HT in my basement and I’m trying to decide between a DIY subwoofer build or a plug and play.

My room will be about 12’ x 19’ with 7’ ceilings. I’ll be installing a AT projector screen on the 12’ wall and placing my front three channels behind it. My primary use is going to be watching movies, I won’t be listening to any music.

I’m looking for a nice quality subwoofer output thats more quality than boom. My goal is to build two subwoofers if my budget allows it, and if it doesn’t initially allow it I’ll definitely build a second when my budget allows. It seems like a sealed subwoofer offers better quality sound at lower frequencies so I’m leaning towards this option as long as my room isn’t to big for only two subwoofers. If I go with a plug and play I was thinking of starting with a Monoprice Monolith 10” and eventually getting a second.

My budget for one DIY subwoofer is about $600-$700, thats including everything I’ll need for it. I would eventually build a second one when I have some more money.

I really appreciate any advice on the build including the subwoofer cabinet, DIY kits, etc. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The VBSS is probably your best bet. You could do one now or two if you can budget for it. The PA460 sub is about $90 each and you'd need an amp like the Berhinger NX3000D. Then the wood and all the bits and pieces. If you can't swing two now I'd definitely build the second box with the first as it is easy to build it with the first. Then drop in the sub when you have funds.

Here is the thread with details.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The kits from PartsExpress.com are a good value and well regarded, if you don't want to tackle learning the whole thing from scratch.
I just signed up literally to say thank you for that link! Been looking for a good diy project to do and this sub project sounds just about right

·
Registered
2 Posts
would it make sense to use an existing sub cabinet from an old subwoofer and change the innards to something more powerful? Or is starting from scratch a better idea

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The VBSS is probably your best bet. You could do one now or two if you can budget for it. The PA460 sub is about $90 each and you'd need an amp like the Berhinger NX3000D. Then the wood and all the bits and pieces. If you can't swing two now I'd definitely build the second box with the first as it is easy to build it with the first. Then drop in the sub when you have funds.

Here is the thread with details.
Thanks for the link, I’m going to check this thread out

·
Registered
173 Posts
Another flatpack option:
2 15" Drivers ($160): "Dayton Audio PA380-8 15" Pro Woofer" from www.parts-express.com!
2 Sealed 15" flatpacks($295 shipped) Denovo Audio Sledge M4-15s Baltic Birch 4.0cuft Subwoofer Flat-Pack for 15" Subwoofers
Behringer NX3000D amp $(400) "Behringer NX3000D Ultra Lightweight Class D 3000W Power Amplifier with DSP" from www.parts-express.com!
$860 total (plus misc parts)

You could do one at a time.

However, given the size of your room and that you won't be listening to music, I would recommend ported subs.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
Check out the 18" sealed kits on PE also. I went with two of those with a couple of UM18-22 drivers (they sell them as a package - boxes plus drivers). Couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the kit options on PE. I don’t have enough free time to make the cabinets from scratch myself so these definitely look doable :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another flatpack option:
2 15" Drivers ($160): "Dayton Audio PA380-8 15" Pro Woofer" from www.parts-express.com!
2 Sealed 15" flatpacks($295 shipped) Denovo Audio Sledge M4-15s Baltic Birch 4.0cuft Subwoofer Flat-Pack for 15" Subwoofers
Behringer NX3000D amp $(400) "Behringer NX3000D Ultra Lightweight Class D 3000W Power Amplifier with DSP" from www.parts-express.com!
$860 total (plus misc parts)

You could do one at a time.

However, given the size of your room and that you won't be listening to music, I would recommend ported subs.
Thanks for the breakdown! Why do you suggest the ported subs? Is it because my room is too large for the sealed option?

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
Yep, unless floor space is not available, in the sub 1000 dollar realm, ported just buys you lots more quality output (like twice as much) for the equivalent dollar outlay. And when designed well, there aren't any significant sonic compromises versus what you get in terms of output.

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
would it make sense to use an existing sub cabinet from an old subwoofer and change the innards to something more powerful? Or is starting from scratch a better idea
While it is possible to use an existing enclosure, most of the kits have enclosures sized for the best balance between performance, size, and cost.

If you go with an existing enclosure you will benefit from learning the physics of the subwoofer and amp and port on the existing box and the gear you are using, to dial in the processing and amplifier. If you have more time than money and this savings in money is important it may be worth learning the details. Note, however, that if you then try to match that home brew project with another different subwoofer configuration (size specs whatever) you may have a few more challenges. It is easier to get two identical subs to play nicely together. And most rooms benefit from having a second sub to create more even bass across more than one seat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, unless floor space is not available, in the sub 1000 dollar realm, ported just buys you lots more quality output (like twice as much) for the equivalent dollar outlay. And when designed well, there aren't any significant sonic compromises versus what you get in terms of output.
I looked at PE and found this 18” Dayton kit, would this be one of the ones you would recommend?

Also, is there a good way to compare one of the kits to a pre made option like the Monoprice Monolith 10” THX select subwoofer? I want to make sure I’m actually going to get more bang for my buck and a better quality subwoofer than what I could have just purchased without doing any work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts