AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
I'm relatively new to sound systems so I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I want to build a sub myself because apart from it being a fun experience the quality for the price will probably be much better. I like a lot of bass so subs are a must. I was hoping to do an 18 or 21 inch. What parts am I going to need?

How much do you want to spend or what is your budget for this build? Around $200 possibly a little over if needed.

Will this be used primarily for HT or music? 90% Music

And what is the biggest size cabinet you want to build? Whatever I need as long as it fits through the door.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
18 or 21", wood, AND an amp for $200?

May have to temper expectation at ~200, could do a 12(or2)/15/wood/amp for that cost, but even then the power will be more limited.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
The amp alone to drive an 18/21" will set you back more than $200. Most drivers in that size range are more than that as well.

See http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1648673-martysub-faq.html for ideas and rundown on the items needed to build a sub. 2 of the Martycubes would cost somewhere around $800 to build, including amp.

EDIT: Just noticed mainly for music, you might get away with sealed depending on what you listen to/how loud/room specs which would be a little less than the Martys, but still not in your $200 range.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Welcome to AVS!
But as a suggestion before starting a new thread - spend some time reading, there is rarely anything new here since so much has been asked and covered already. (the new talk is theory, components and builds beyond the $200 price point)

Just a few hours back, the $150 question gets bumped to $200, but not for an 18" or 21".

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1953281-diy-sub-100-150-a.html

Another recent one: F20 if you have tools and working skills.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...176-most-bass-what-design-contest-anyone.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I'm looking at the JBL GTO1514 for $90 on amazon.
How do I power it though? None of those things said anything about how they power their subs. Any recommendations on amps that are reasonably priced and can push this sub to its limit?
Thanks guys! Looking forward to this project.:)

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
What is your top budget?
There are Infinity 12" drivers cheaper, paired with a Yung plate amp it'll be around 200, then you need wood/clamps/binding posts/wire, etc...

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
For 100% music you could use a pro woofer. Way better sensitivity so amp power will be less.

What type of music?

This one is cheap and 98.5db sens. Little xmax but most music won't need it anyhow.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-pa460-8-18-pro-woofer--295-036

Add a cheap pro amp with a 30hz HPF, a ported box tuned to 35hz, and you're set. It's gonna be more than 200 though. But it's worth the extra money. Charge it!

Can't use a plate amp for this due to the HPF being too low.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I listen to everything. When I'm listening to edm or hip hop I like room shaking bass, but when I'm listening to indie folk it doesn't matter as much. Would the Dayton fit that bill?
What would be a good amp to go with that?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
For edm that driver probably isn't the best option. It could play very loud but it won't shake the room. That jbl driver is an amazing value for all frequencies. Finding an amp in your budget will be tough though.

If you can wait, I'd suggest saving some more money and doing this right. I know that's not what you want to hear but it's the best advice I could give you.

You could buy the jbl driver and start working on the box. Then save up for a proper amp. Maybe keep an eye out on craigslist or the classifieds here for a good deal on an amp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For edm that driver probably isn't the best option. It could play very loud but it won't shake the room. That jbl driver is an amazing value for all frequencies. Finding an amp in your budget will be tough though.

If you can wait, I'd suggest saving some more money and doing this right. I know that's not what you want to hear but it's the best advice I could give you.

You could buy the jbl driver and start working on the box. Then save up for a proper amp. Maybe keep an eye out on craigslist or the classifieds here for a good deal on an amp.
What would a "proper" amp be? What should I be looking for? Is it possible to use a plate amp?
Any other recommendations for drivers?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Amps come in many flavors but a tight budget really limits the options. Good value subs around $100 are common. Amps, not really. You can use a plate amp but even those will push your budget. The dayton spa250 is probably the most cost/performance fit for your needs/budget. An inuke with dsp would be a big step up in power and features but adds a lot of cost. The dayton amp and the jbl could make a good sub in a large ported box which would increase its efficiency. But the box itself will cost around $50 at minimum.

·
Banned
1,371 Posts
So I'm looking at the JBL GTO1514 for $90 on amazon.
How do I power it though? None of those things said anything about how they power their subs. Any recommendations on amps that are reasonably priced and can push this sub to its limit?
Thanks guys! Looking forward to this project.:)
You can get 2 of those for $150 here:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_13863_JBL-GTO1514D.html

at that point one of these fits the bill perfectly:
http://www.parts-express.com/behringer-nu1000dsp-inuke-1000-watt-power-amplifier-with-dsp--248-6702

With 2 boxes that are 24"x24"x36" each with 4x 4"x31" pvc pipe ports in each. 20hz tune.

You will get this as a response:

2x subs $150
Amp $180
3 sheets mdf $90
total $420 + misc=less than $500

Attachments

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
The Bash plate amps have a user-configurable HPF/boost circuit so you could adjust it to suit, but need to be confident enough with a soldering to replace a pair of resistors on the amp board. The software option in the iNuke is easy to use by comparison.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.