AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I would like to try to salvage my old s750 subwoofer and build a new subwoofer from spare parts. I loved the powerful bass, but the unit had very poor assembly resulting in several failures (mostly due to aging conducting clue they used for assembly frying most of the PCB).

The idea is to build the subwoofer in the same case using the same speaker unit and backplate but building the circuitry from scratch. The circuit should be as simple as possible with only two inputs (low voltage signal from A/V receiver and power input from the grid) as shown in the block diagram.

Any suggestion for the black box to get me started

Thanks! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is your budget and skill level with electronics?

Basically you are wanting to build a new amp for your sub correct?
I have some technical university studies in circuit design and budget about half of the price of a new 200w subwoofer (~80 euros).
Yes basically just an amplifier block. Adjustable volume level would be also necessary but I presume that adding a rheostat in right place does the trick.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I have some technical university studies in circuit design and budget about half of the price of a new 200w subwoofer (~80 euros).
Yes basically just an amplifier block. Adjustable volume level would be also necessary but I presume that adding a rheostat in right place does the trick.
In that case I would check out the different offering from Sure. They have tons of different boards depending on what you're looking for and have power supplies and volume pots to go with more amp boards.

http://store.sure-electronics.com/audio/audio-amplifier-board/medium-power

Do you know, or have a way, to test the impedance of the driver? Is it a sealed or ported enclosure?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts