AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
473 Posts
anything?

Like, hearing about the Adire Tumult and 1200W ADA plate amp that are soon to be on their way to my door? (Plate amp includes 2 parametric EQ adjustments, two stackable/bypassable crossover filters, built-in Linkwitz Transform... excellent array of goodies for the price.) Build plan is enclosure Q of about .6, sealed. Flat in-room response to 15hz or so should be realistic, or so they say.

Once complete, it goes to my parents though. :)

IB in my HT, and my listening room who knows what.

C

· Registered
3,433 Posts
Gotta get through with my "honey-do" list and I can get started on mine.

Four TC Sounds 15" for my theater room IB.

Two Adire alignment Shiva's for the living room.

One Blueprint 1201 in a vented sonotube.

One Dayton DVC 12" in a vented sonotube (for a family member)

Two Stryke AV12 MKII's in the mini-thunder alignment (passive radiators)

Two Blueprint 1001 in vented cabinets (probably 2 ft^3 tuned to 20hz)

One Lambda Acoustics SB10 (poly cone) in a sealed 12" sonotube.

One Lambda Acoustics SB10 (paper cone) in a sealed 12" sonotube.

One Adire VP12 (like the Shiva but with dual 4 ohm coils and a smaller VAS) in a sealed box for the car.

That still leaves three Bazooka 12's I got for $13 each and four old Earthquake EQ-15's with no enclosure.

-Robert

· Registered
1,687 Posts

· Registered
7,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What a sub! I'm done with mine but don't have a PC program to show plots.I have always loved sealed enclosures.They are easy, forgiving and that gradual rolloff always won me over.So, I use four Adire tumults in 3.0 sealed enclosures.Two in each cabinet(separate subenclosures).They weigh about 350lbs each and are powered by four Adcom 555mkII's bridged mono.The cabinets are two inch MDF all around.My cabinet guy about went nutz building them for me.I think this will do for now.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kgveteran
What a sub! I'm done with mine but don't have a PC program to show plots.I have always loved sealed enclosures.They are easy, forgiving and that gradual rolloff always won me over.So, I use four Adire tumults in 3.0 sealed enclosures.Two in each cabinet(separate subenclosures).They weigh about 350lbs each and are powered by four Adcom 555mkII's bridged mono.The cabinets are two inch MDF all around.My cabinet guy about went nutz building them for me.I think this will do for now.
There is no way that my single Adire Tempest could compare to four Tumults. I would expect that you can feel the room shake on the LFE effects in many movies. 350lbs each... ouch... hurts my back even thinking about it. It is there that the Sonotube construction has an advantage... way less weight.

I used Excel to do the plot, taking measurements with a RS Audio Level meter and using a tone generator program in the HTPC to supply the test tones. My sub is crossed over at 80 Hz, so that is why the top end drops off like it does.

You can download the spreadsheet from this link http://www.snapbug.ws/subtestmodel.xls

It already has the correction factors for the RS Level meter readings. Just enter the "Raw" values and it will do the rest. It has room for two sets of measurements, so you can do a before and after compare.

Joe L.

· Registered
34 Posts
Not 100% DIY, but I built the parts express 15" titantic a few weeks ago. With the 1000 watt plate amp it is more then enough for my taste. It will shake the walls and you when it hits hard, but not boomy.

Need to adjust it a little more and find the perfect location in the room.

And all this for less than $700.

· Registered
190 Posts
J. L. , & ody,..

I built a 480 liter Sono as well,..It's a dual Tempest unit, that looks almost identical to J. L.'s,....24" tube,..Over all height is about 7.5 ft. Can't remember the enclosure dimensions. It's a huge son of a gun though.

I did a lot of building of enclosures and configurations a few years ago, and when I powered this guy up with a pair of Parts Express 250 watt amps,..slipped in a bass heavy movie,...It was all over.

This new amp from Adire sounds interesting though. I have been wanting to replace the Parts Express units. They work great, with the rumble filters and all, but I thought there might be something better out there now. What can you tell me about it?

Thanks guys,....GRCRY,...>>>--->

ps,..How do you post a picture here?, or where do I find the instructions?

· Registered
1,711 Posts
I built a cylinder also. Mine uses a 15" Dayton DVC. My construction page is here:
http://europa70.tripod.com/diy_sonosub001.htm

My site is almost 2-yrs old and some of the links I have there don't work anymore, but you can see my construction.

· Registered
473 Posts
While not directly related, it's fun...

I knocked the rumble filter on my 200W plate amp (powering a twin 15" manifold mounted IB sub) down an octave... woah. I have known that sub-sonic output can make a difference, but the difference is rather dramatic! :D

Will be interesting to compare a 1200W powered Tumult in a smallish box to the IB. Smallish box is only relative to the IB box of ~3500 cubic feet...

C

· Registered
6,226 Posts
Awesome thread guys!!!!!!I wish the sonotube subs really got more coverage in avs..Kg, that is one moster sub you have!!I know the pressure in the room must be awesome..JL, That is a huge sonosub..I don't know if I could have convinced the wife on that one..

I did build one myself based on the Adire Shiva driver,Creativesound Kit that you can buy form their website.It is awesome.I will probably build another when we move into house and I can do a dedicated room.Here's a pic of it before I put the grille on..

brickie

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Brickie,

I knew there was something about you I liked... :D (besides your popcorn expertise) Now I understand why your wife did not notice the bass-shakers you installed... the couch was already shaking. :D

That is a very nice looking sonosub. From what I understand, the Shiva driver can hold its own against almost anything out there its size. (although, as with my single Tempest driver, it might be tough to compare it to the four Tumult drivers that kgveteran enjoys) In any case, you must be very happy.

I'm very lucky. My wife helped in choosing the style of the sub enclosure and even shopped for and sewed the fabric for its sock. It actually is so big that most people do not recognize it what it is. It is 77 3/4 inches tall. (A tad under 6 1/2 feet) As long as the room lights are not turned up high, it really does not get much attention... until the LFE channel is active.

Joe L.

· Registered
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kgveteran
J.L. , my four Tumults aren't much to the eight 15" that the infinite baffle guys are doing in their attics and basements. I have to read up on the IB guys.
Not many 8 driver IB installs published (I'm sure they exist. ;)

There's a 12 (12 Shivas) that's semi "famous" and a few insane folks with four BP18 drivers (thats' four 18" drivers with 52mm XMax). And one guy has a pair with, I think, 12 15" Dayton DVC drivers each... :D

You know about the Cult of the Infinitely Baffled? Fun gallery. And, an IB is the ultimate in SAF.

C

· Registered
3,936 Posts
Ok guys,

speaking of IB's, I'm this close to making an IB (with 4 Dayton IB15's) in the IN-BETWEEN space between floors (2-story house, the HT is downstairs).

Has anybody done this?

There's a 2 foot crawlspace between the two floors and I'm thinking of putting the IB in there?

Is that a bad idea?

Would the vents et al shake like crazy?

Thanks,

· Registered
1,711 Posts
I keep coming back to the IB subs. I have a cylinder sub I built from a Dayton DVC almost two years ago. We moved and I'm now building a totally dedicated HT and I have a semi room within a room layout. There is a 24" space between one of our studded walls and the concrete basement wall. This space is over 20' long. It would make a great IB. Even if I don't do it immediately, I can always come back to it later.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.