AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build my 2 rear surround speakers but threads here do not go very far and I have not seen any completed projects. Is anyone doing these? These will be mounted high on the wall so there should be a down firing component as well as two angled sides. I want to capture the airy, hard to pin down 'where did that sound come from' style.

I have some ideas on the drivers but need help on the cross over. I am completing my Zaph Center Channel (been waiting a long time for back ordered dome mid range RS52s from PE) and would like to use them in the surround setup. Maybe use the same tweeter too (ND20 FB) so all I need to do is select the down firing driver. Also, I have seen commercial setups with multiple mid-ranges and tweeters so wonder if this might be a way to go too. No real base sounds is intended for these. I don't want to dive into this complex project without some review of what others have done.

Has anyone completed a project like this that can help? Or point to completed projects that I can review?

If I listed some drivers and box dimensions can someone help me with the crossover design?

Usil

·
Registered
379 Posts
Im going to build a set of Marks soon too, but Im going to build em like kgveteran did.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usil /forum/post/15463131

I want to build my 2 rear surround speakers but threads here do not go very far and I have not seen any completed projects. Is anyone doing these? These will be mounted high on the wall so there should be a down firing component as well as two angled sides. I want to capture the airy, hard to pin down 'where did that sound come from' style.
http://www.jblsynthesis.com/products...=US&Region=USA

the dipole approach may be what you are looking for. the surround fires sound that bounces off the front and rear walls in order to create enveloping instead of directional ambient cues.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by titch-- /forum/post/15471301

Im going to build a set of Marks soon too, but Im going to build em like kgveteran did.

Remember that Mark also has a non-BSC version of the crossover if you are mounting on wall.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yeah I was going to mount it on the wall.

cheers

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MArk's system looks very good. But when was thinking about dipole, I was thinking of the commercial design I have seen with trapezoidal boxes and speakers pointing in different directions. Is this overkill or really needed?

It certainly would be a lot easier to build Mark's design.

And mine will be also mounted near the ceiling.

Usil

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Titch - I'm going to build a set of Marks soon too, but Im going to build em like kgveteran did.

Ok, I have scanned dozens of articals on surrounds and I keep coming back to Mark's design too. What is it that kgveteran did? Can you point to the thread?

Usil

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hey usil!

I believe all Kg did was make the box not as deep and Marks. I think Kg's was 9" deep. Heres his post over at htguide.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...5&page=1&pp=35

EDIT: Oh yeah I guess theres 2 cross over designs for these. One for placing up against the wall, which I couldnt find while skimming for it fast. If someone would like to point that out for me that would be great.

cheers

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since mine will be near a wall I need the schematic also. Why do you think it is no longer available? It must exist somewhere.

Usil

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Hey Guys,

The cabinet depth is all I changed. I power the four of them with two Behringer a500's. Real happy with the results. The result was a higher rolloff point or F3, but at 80hz XO its really no problem.

The real cool part is when I calibrated them using Audyssey in my Denon 3808ci , it timbe matched them with my mains.

The Rs225's are pretty amazing in the bass dept. My mains use two in each cabinet and they do 80hz like crazy.

My room is kinda small 13'x15' and they have no problem with 0dbMV calibrated at 75db by my receiver (as a processor)

Kg

BTW, i've never seem the modified XO design by Mark.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts