AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm a french student thinking a lot about having a kind of "take away" 3D system for entertainment purpose. I kept reading forums for three months, and i finally decided to write a new thread here because I would need some advices :)

First of all, I never built anything concerning 3D (learnt everything from internet), but I know about audio-visual engineering.

Here what I aim:

1)This would be for an artistic project, I'm not thinking about videogaming/movies. I'd like to have a technical solution i could bring here and there.

2)Since I would probably never get back the glasses, they need to be cheap. So I'm thinking about passive 3D.

3)Because it's not for a pure "home quality" gaming nor home theater, quality has not to be 100% (at least for now ;) ).

4)I'm still a student so money is important here! I'm not saying I want the cheapest system, but I will go through "test phases" and purchase one item at a time. So I would like to avoid useless buys.

And here are my concerns (mainly for the silver screen):

1) I thought about having 3D paint and sprayt it over some Expanded PVC tiles so i could easily transport them. But, would paint be efficient in this way ? Would it work on these tiles ?

2) If I directly use sanded aluminium tiles as "screen", would it be efficient ?

3) Thinking of having some aluminium foil to create some effects and texture, would it ruin the 3D process or would it be just "not perfect 3D"? For example having a tiny aluminium square in the middle of the screen

Am I dreaming too hard or could I definitly do something here ? :D

Thanks !

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I created a "take away" passive 3D system 15 years ago. I bought two small projectors, rigged them with polarized filters--one for each eye-Left and Right. Then I bought a tripod type pull-up silvered screen that can hold polarization. I will try to give you more info as we go forward, but need to know if what I explained was the type of system you were thinking about? This was used for demos of 3D walk-throughs of buildings etc. back in the day when I was working.

I don't think the tiles would work and too much trouble, but then again, I don't have a good view of your intent. Maybe a drawing would help. Here's some good info about screens and links to other 3D info: https://www.studio3d.com/pages2/silver_screens.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the answer !

Actually, for a better explanation, I would like to mix mapping and passive 3D. I want to test two things:

- Having "silver screen" tiles on a wall and only map video on them.

- Create some structures with them. Not necessarely big ones but I would like to "break the flat" of a simple screen.

I was thinking of cutting a silver screen into pieces, but it would be an expensive one shot test, which I try to avoid. This is why I was thinking of paint or aluminium foil.

Again, for these test, no need of a perfect quality, I just would like to know if mapping in 3D is doable.

For the projectors I plan to do this way, I think I won't have so much troubles making it since there's plenty infos on the net.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Breaking the flat plane would create left/right eye alignment distortion, make it look like chunks of 3D objects, some forward some back in 3D space, but not meshing with the total object. Think eye fatigue very quickly. This sounds more like an art experiment--right? Not that I'm against that, just that you might create something more irritating then wonderful--but who am I to say...:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aha! If the result isn't watchable, it's a no go for me ;)

And yeah it's part of an artistic creation ;)

I'm wondering how to change the experience for the viewer, and was thinking of mappping passive 3D.

Thanks for the advice by the way ! :)

I will probably post some results here if I come up with something usable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I already know mapping 2D overlay on a real 3D structure, I was wondering about projecting 3D overlay on a structure: what effect could it bring to the audience.

As I didn't do anything about 3D yet, i don't know what the result would be. This was more by curiosity.

Because of the angle of view issue concerning silver screens and polarization, I think projecting 3D on a too much "textured" object painted with silver paint won't get any results. Am I right ?

Actually, for this project, I plan to build a scenography for a Dj. I would like to bring the real deepness of the 3D on stage (there won't be any other light by the way).

But just putting a screen behind him would not be aesthetic so I'm trying to figure how can I build a structure around him.

Here's a little drawing describing what I plan to build for now.

Squares would be some tiles of silver screen placed around him, and the projection would be mapped on these tiles only with the right software.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Looks like a lot of work to figure that out. Yes silver paint is probably not a good idea. I don't think it will hold polarization.

There is another trick for adding objects in apparent space by using sheets of mylar. Then projecting something from the bottom onto a 45 degree sheet hanging from something. This is often used for fake holograms of people on stage with real performers. The problem with a DJ venue like you are talking about is the audience would need to be wearing polarized glasses to get the effect, and that isn't going to last long if you have dancing or other things going on around the DJ.

Watch this:

You could build a box to hold a video projector that projects onto a mylar screen(s) that folds out at an angle. In the dark, people would not see it, and could see through it . Then when the projector is on and projects objects on the screen, they will appear floating in space and very 3D like. http://prodisplay.com/products/holographic-effect-projection-screens/ Small screens could be placed on a portable wall like the one you drew, and the projector then projects up to them in mapped way to project back out to the audience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts