AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried using Tile Board for a screen?

I got my pj about a week ago and have been using blackout cloth for a screen, the problem is that the cloth is hanging from the ceiling in the middle of the room. So, air conditioning can cause it to shift and can become very distracting (especially during a camera pan). I thought I would take a look at using plywood or press board (very light and solid materials) to use as a backing for the cloth so it would hang straight. While I was at home depot I came across something that was called Tile Board, it is a thin and very light weight material that comes in sheets of 8' by 4'. After looking at it I thought that may work for a screen as is (no blackout cloth - just tile board). The surface is very smooth.

Anyone know how this works as a screen?

My only concern is that it may be to glossy and cause a hot spot - so i should probably paint it. I have an Infocus X1, any recomendations as to white, grey, or silver?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
There are hundreds of posts here, even within the last few days, of materials people have use to build ther own screens. Some of the most popular DIY options are to build a frame to stretch the blackout cloth over (using 1X3 or similar lumber), parkland plastic polywall (sort of like a plastic tileboard), and do-able tileboard (not sure what it's exact name is), or just painting a wall or a sheet of MDF an ultra-pure white. The materials I mentioned are usually available at Lowes or the larger Home Depot stores. Melamine and some of the white smooth tileboards hotspot pretty bad.

I would start by doing some searches.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tried a search and got this:

"The search function has been currently disabled because the server load is currently too high. It will be open again when the load has decreased. Thank you."

I will be going to Home Depot in a few hours, so I thought I would just ask about it in a post

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Last spring, I exchanged a few emails with the company (Barker tile... I think) that makes the board to see if they had other colors (grey for instance) and if they had some with a "less grossy" finish. They said they might look at generating such board but our "last exchange" left us at "our chemist was having problems with getting the resulting surface tough enough as to not mark easily". I haven't exchanged anything with them since (may timeframe). They also indicated that "snap panels" were possible much like laminated floor (click flooring). This would allow one to make any size screen... again I haven't exchanged anything further on this.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I tried the tile board from Home Depot with my SE 20 hd. The board was too wavy to produce a good picture. I couldn't get all the waves out, and everywhere there was a wave, there was a hotspot. I ended up junking it (a $10 loss) and painting my wall misty evening (see numerous other threads). I then framed my screen with door framing painted black. It looks awesome. The good thing was, the tile board is inexpensive, so you can try it and see if you get better results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.