AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up 3 Sansui 19" LCDs from Wal-Mart on Black Friday for my game room. Between having poorly positioned studs for my purpose and being a cheap [insert your favorite insult here], I decided to mount them with a few readily available parts from the hardware store.

https://cid-fbfb381436b56519.skydriv...WgY6Q5OlyRc%24

Basically, I hung them with metal pipe straps from a curtain rod with four brackets (each in a stud). As the TVs are just 7 pounds each, I don't anticipate any issues. Thoughts?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Definitely a solid job. What was the total cost of your triple mount?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah... conduit would have been stronger and given me a cooler industrial look, but I found the rod on clearance for $8.99 and I didn't have to cut it (add lazy to cheap above).

Altogether it cost me just over $27 before tax, so about $30 total. That includes a second rod that I bought since I needed a fourth bracket and they were about $5 each by themselves. I still have two brackets and the second rod left for other uses. The screws were $4.80 and the strapping ("galvanized hanger tape") was all of $2.50. The washers were a whopping $1.12 for each type.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
looks very cool

i assume you plan on feeding tvs three diff games

do you have sat, cable or OTA?

would like to see the finished project with the cords hidden

my dream basement was a tv in every corner and one behind the bar

three in a row behind the bar may be a better idea

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The previous owner had coax running above the area already. It was dropped down through that notch in the lighting frame to a standard TV in a tall cabinet. I'll install an outdoor antenna and hook up to OTA with that. My indoor antenna has to be constantly adjusted to get all of the HD in the area so 3 good channels at once isn't happening yet. Being semi-rural and having a metal roof doesn't help much. Eventually, I'll move my Dish boxes to the shelves in the alcove next to the wet bar (and possibly get a third box) and run a whole-house system. At that point I'll probably add more flatscreens around the room (next Black Friday?). From there I can run component to one of the TVs (no HDMI for $98 LOL) and be able to supplement the OTA networks. I have cable internet, but adding HD cable TV would cost more for a couple of months than a good OTA antenna will cost once. Then I just have to talk the wife into letting me drop a wall so the adjacent spare room/temp theater can become an integral part of the space!

I sure do plan big for such a cheap/lazy guy...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.