AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a Thread to the LCD forum about which LCD's to look into but I wanted to run this idea up to this forum as well and get any thoughts.

I recently bought the Parts Express MCA2550D plate amp on sale thinking I would use it for something. My current 15 year old Sharp CRT may be on its way out so I'm looking at new LCD TV's

This amp has an Auto on feature so it would come on when the TV powers up.

For the Speakers I an thinking of building a box to go under the TV. I am thinking of using a Tymphany LAT250 (on sale) and some Peerless full ranges (on sale) and building a box to incorporate the Amp, 2 Peerless,one each for Right and Left and the LAT in the middle with a Port. Maybe look into a 4th order Bandpass for the LAT. Each would have its own chamber. Front would be about 28" wide and 4" high. Depth to be determined.

Sound like a good idea? Crazy? Other thoughts?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Your basically just wanting to build a center channel speaker powered by an amplifier that's fed from the TV's audio signal instead of using a receiver? Ive never personally seen this done, but i know its possible and has been done before. Dont know anything about the tymphany transducer though. So not sure how you would incorporate that into it. im sure someone else can give you some good advice on it. Plus you need to make sure the speakers are wired porperly to present a 4ohm to 8ohm load to the amplifier. Also it may be better to have the full range drivers in their own seperate boxes so you can spread them apart for better coverage.

·
Registered
506 Posts
i was thinking of trying to build something like this. my parents were interested in a sound bar to replace their tv speakers and i thought i might be able to build something nice for them.

why was there no feedback on the OP's idea? is this considered OT? i wouldn't think so.

one issue with his original design seems to do with the plate amp itself. looking it up, i think it's way too big for a sound-bar style build, the 4" high, very wide, reasonable depth that he and i are looking for:

Dayton Audio MCA2550E 2.1 Channel Class D Amplifier

Overall: 6-1/2" W x 11-1/16" H x 4-1/2" D

are there powered sound-bar builds in this DIY forum? i haven't looked into it yet but the revival of this thread got me thinking

thanks,

joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts