AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm in the market for a new 55" flat-panel TV and stand. While shopping for TV stand designs that meet my requirements and tastes, I came across the Salamander Designs and BDIs and Standout Designs of the world. All are making excellent stands designed for equipment like mine (Monitor Audio speakers, Marantz receiver, etc.), but I just didn't like the price.

One design that caught my eye as just about perfect for my room is the N702+ from www.standoutdesigns.com . After reviewing the basic design, I've convinced myself I could probably build the same basic design for significantly less. So I whipped up a 3-D Sketchup model of the design, following the pictures and dimensions posted on the website. The attached Sketchup drawing (in .zip archive) is a dimensionally accurate (within 1/4" of all dimensions) model that can be used to construct a similar enclosure, for those that are inclined.

If all goes well (spare time, finances, etc.) I will be constructing this stand within the month.

TV Stand.zip 351.8564453125k . file

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilwiz /forum/post/19621180

Did you move forward with this? I like the N702+ too, but I think its way too over priced.

At the moment, the project will wait until after the New Year due to time/holiday cost constraints.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks for posting the Sketchup model. This is a good looking design and it might meet my needs with minimal modification. Now I guess I need to learn Sketchup so I figure out how to break it down to build it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJ /forum/post/19622600

Thanks for posting the Sketchup model. This is a good looking design and it might meet my needs with minimal modification. Now I guess I need to learn Sketchup so I figure out how to break it down to build it.

I've made some minor mods to my current version of the drawing, including adding 2" of depth front-to-back to make sure I have room for my Receiver and all cabling.

Regarding building something you've drawn in Sketchup, all piece dimensions can be extracted using the Tape Measure tool, very easy.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboff01 /forum/post/19622828

I've made some minor mods to my current version of the drawing, including adding 2" of depth front-to-back ...

Here's an updated pic of the stand including my actual speakers and a TV of the size I plan to purchase.

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboff01 /forum/post/19622878

Here's an updated pic of the stand including my actual speakers and a TV of the size I plan to purchase.

How big is the center speaker opening and have you done a mock up of what the wood would cost and how much you need? Looks like a great setup.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3 /forum/post/19622907

How big is the center speaker opening and have you done a mock up of what the wood would cost and how much you need? Looks like a great setup.

9 1/2"H x 25 1/2"W x 17"D (in attached Sketchup).

Here are the spec'd dimensions from their website:

Dimensions (HWD - inches)

Dimensions presented as HWD (height x width x depth) in inches

* Overall Cabinet: 24-1/4 x 70 x 22

* Enclosures: 20-1/16 x 19-3/4 x 19-3/4 (each)

* Center shelf: 9-5/8 x 25-3/4 x 17

* Drawer box: 3 x 23-7/16 x 14-7/16 (interior walls)

* Standard Adjustable Shelves:

o 3/16 x 19-1/2 x 16-1/4

o 9 positions, spacing - 32MM (1-1/4")

I calculate I would need 1.5-2 sheets of 3/4" 4'x8' and 1 sheet of 1/2" 4'x8' veneered ply. This will allow for some scrap material based on an initial cut sheet I made. The door frames would be solid wood stock which I found plenty of at my local Lowes for not much money. I didn't look into the cost of tempered glass for the windows and shelves yet. I would use dowels or possibly biscuits to join the wood.

My local lumber store quoted me $96/sheet for 3/4" 4'x8' maple veneered (both sides good) MDF core ply and $80/sheet for 1/2" of the same. I'm still debating what core material I would use for the ply sheets (mdf or wood ply). MDF would be heavier but less prone to warping?

Of course if you wanted to build it out of a cheaper plywood (ex. White Birch ply readily available from Lowes/Home Depot @ $45/sheet), you could probably do it for considerably less.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Good thread. That looks close to what I'm going to build soon. Only I'll need a bigger center channel section as my center speaker is 10" h x 26" w. I'm thinking about having the center channel self adjustable as well, possibly just for the heck of it.

I will probably do without the doors or drawer. Leave it all open, and throw a DVD binder under the center channel. I may or may not have shelves on the right side, as right now I have in this order stacked: CD changer, VCR, DVD, Blu-Ray and that is pretty tall as is. Everything is stacked so there are no vent holes blocked by the device above it. The left side where the receiver is will be elevated some so things under neath can go there for more storage. Or maybe put the CD changer under the receiver, then add shelves for the VCR/DVD/Blu-Ray. Not sure what would look better. All stacked or shelves? The later may look more cluttered actually and take up more space... Hmmm. Always can remove them though if I use those pegs for the shelves... (sorry for the thread-jack, thinking out loud here but might help others for ideas)!

If you need advice on staining just let me know. I got the process down pretty good (always do a few tests though on the material you have) when I did my speaker stands. I used a wood conditioner, stain, and poly but did my own way as the directions were not producing anything good at all. But I was using plain pine wood. I figure the laminate ply wood will stain better. I need to post pics of my speaker stands, they turned out great and I'm glad I made them fancy rather than a few 2x4's painted black. I plan to make my TV stand and subwoofer the same color stain too.

What do you plan to do for the bottom? I sort of want to put casters so I can roll it back but not sure really. I need some sort of feet on it.. I want to keep the height fairly low since I'll be putting a 60" TV on mine. This stand will be freaking heavy!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacHayes /forum/post/19688361

If you need advice on staining just let me know.

When I get to that point, I will keep your offer in mind, thanks.

Quote:

What do you plan to do for the bottom?

I hadn't finalized any thoughts yet. I think the actual N702+ has some recessed/retractable casters but hadn't looked into it yet.

Quote:

This stand will be freaking heavy!

That's why I'm probably leaning towards a wood core laminated ply rather than the MDF core.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've got a build drawn out to scale in photoshop, I need to post it up. For the bottom I'll do 1x3" board on the bottom, but not sure about sliding it. Probably will set it in place and not move it. If I have to move it, hopefully my large furniture movers will work ok.

I need to draw out next the panel sizes and see how many sheets of plywood I need. Also need to decided on the shape/size of my 7cubic foot sub box so I can get plywood for that at the same time (will stain it the same as tv stand).

My stand will have a divider or shelf on each side, center channel, and drawer under that for DVDs. Going with birch plywood and will cap off the ends with pine door stop triming stuff and stain it all together.

Have you made any progress?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacHayes /forum/post/19776376

I've got a build drawn out to scale in photoshop, I need to post it up. For the bottom I'll do 1x3" board on the bottom, but not sure about sliding it. Probably will set it in place and not move it. If I have to move it, hopefully my large furniture movers will work ok.

I need to draw out next the panel sizes and see how many sheets of plywood I need. Also need to decided on the shape/size of my 7cubic foot sub box so I can get plywood for that at the same time (will stain it the same as tv stand).

My stand will have a divider or shelf on each side, center channel, and drawer under that for DVDs. Going with birch plywood and will cap off the ends with pine door stop triming stuff and stain it all together.

Have you made any progress?

Looking forward to your design.

No progress here yet ... I am waiting a couple of weeks to see how my company's bonuses will be this year. I don't want to end up like Clark Griswold.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Here is what it will look like relative. I'm trying to get sketchup to work for me, but it's wasting my time!!! Creating components seems to not stick... Anway, I need to go grab the boards and start ripping today.

EDIT: Got sketchup working, no idea why the dimensions were not adding up, it was like the top board was bowed or something. The strangest thing. Re-did it and it works now.

I bought two, 4x8' sheets of birch plywood today, looks nice, will stain well, and the trim wood. Just need to get more of the .75"x.5" trim for behind the top trim.

Now I need to use sketchup to lay out the parts on the 4x8 ply to see how to cut it. I'll upload the drawing when done.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I too am working on a TV stand. 63"W x 24"D x 33"H. I'm "insetting the back" of the cabinet about 5" to allow room for wire management so the cabinet will be able to go flush against the wall. My TV is wall mounted so sliding the cabinet out to get to the wires will be easy. The Section for the AVR and the PC will not have a "back" to make wiring much easier, and allow for the use of the full cabinet depth.

The middle with have space for a built in "WT" center instead of having to do a "sideways center". Below that will be the space for the PC. Will be build with "special buy" 3/4" A/C plywood Home Depot has on sale for $25 a sheet. 2 sheets required for project, plus trim to hide the end grain on the front.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright, so my wife won this battle.

We found a TV stand at a local furniture store with the same basic design for $300. It looks like it will fit all my equipment. The primary trade-off is I will need to cut out a portion of the back panel to make room for all the cabling to my A/V receiver because it is a few inches shallower than what I was planning. I've attached a pic of the stand.

The TV has arrived and she simply didn't want to wait the multiple weekends it would take to build. And $300 is about what I was estimating this project would cost me, so I'm fine with it as well.

Good luck to anyone that uses the Sketchup I posted for their own stand.

Steve

1 - 20 of 24 Posts