AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This maybe off topic, but I just thought I would share my projector mounting solution. I used a spare satellite dish mount that I had lying around, a piece of c-channel scrap donated from work, a plastic cutting board and a little enginuity.

It has worked out pretty great for me, when I purchased my new projector all I had to do was cut up a new cutting board while the wife was asleep

The mount allows for pretty much any type of adjustment, although maybe not as easy to get perfect as a factory mount.

The C-channel is bolted to three beams that allows for a good solid mount, and also repositioning the projector if needed in the future.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Nice Action Jackson!

Just be careful not to obstruct the vents on the bottom of the projector.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cut a hole for ventillation aboeve the filter. I still have to take the PJ down to clean the filter though. With my Z2 I was able to clean the filter while it was mounted, it just depend on the placement.

·
Registered
85 Posts
THAT IS FLIPPIN' SWEEEET!!!!

Love the cutting board idea ! And, seeing as I do the majority of the cooking anyways, the mrs. won't need to be asleep ... just distracted. hmmmmm, i may be able to procure a sattelite dish w/ bracket.... if not, would I be able to purchase one separately? I could not see why not. After all, they do break. Thanks for the great idea. It is an evolutionary leap to the pipe one I saw. That one was good, but THIS is a nice modification. Pat yourself on the back for a diy project done well !

Plus, you get exxtra points for the "not chapping off the mrs. too terribly" factor. ANOTHER PLUS !!!!!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the compliments, motmayhem.

When I moved into this house there was already a dish on it, so when the installer came by with a new dish I asked If I could just go ahead and keep it for a spare and use the one that was already hanging. I just had the 5 lnb dish installed too, and they left the old dish on the house. You can probably find someone has a spare, or look for one at a garage sale or online auction, but I'd try the freeby route first.

You probably don't have to use the C-channel if your ceiling beams run opposite mine. I was going to install a 2x4 between beams in the attic to attach it to, but thought the C-channel would make it easier to move the projector into the best possition. I could have made it 2 ft long and been ok, but didn't know it 'till I got it up there.

You can cut the pole shorter depending on how you need it, I had to get below that ceiling fan.

The wife was a little irritated when she found out I destroyed the cutting board, then I told her it was only $10 to replace compared to $150+ for a mount, and she settled down a bit.

·
Registered
85 Posts
yeah, its funny when you put it in that perspective - $10 vs $150. She probably even complimented you on how wonderful it turned out after she realized your thrifty ingenuity. The house I just looked at yesterday has a dish out there. So, that is an option. I really don't want to go the satellite route, but that is the price I pay for going so damn rural - no high speet internet.

The place has a complete unfinished basement - JOY !!!! So, it may be on soon ! Lucky me, unlucky mrs.

But, back on topic. That is a truly pro looking setup with the faceplate and all. nice job! Thanks for the ideas. I will have to redo it a little for my pj, but I believe the only problem I will encounter would be for the lamp replacement. Both the filters are on the back of mine. It has been packed away too long , i cannot remember.

Thanks for the wonderful idea, ... mot

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad I could help.

For the outlet I used a double receptacle with light switch faceplate. I just used a dremel to open it up to allow all the cables to run through the light switch hole. I think one of the hardest part was running the cable, it was over 100 outside and it felt cool after I got out of the attic.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Looks MINT!

I've also got the Epson (810 PRO) and ended up getting a Chief Mount of Fleabay (15.00 NIB)...of course it was for a PJ other than the 810, but it was easy enough to make an adapter plate just as action_jackson did...also made a cutout for the air intake and used some spacers to keep the plate away from the bottom of the PJ. I can post some pix later after work.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Shoot, that is pretty damn cool man! Thax for sharing!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts