AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here done this? I need a 50' Length to hook up computer to Sony 1252 Projector. I have a short Cable from an old monitor with BNCs. regular monitor extension cables give ghosting, I knew this but wanted to get it going. tried to make my own extension from cat5 got same thing. thought about making whole thing with Canare wire and connectors but in research It seems like maybe I would have the same problem if I made them Myself? Also thought of using short cable I have and making 5 extentions with BNC's on regular RG6. Is it really hard to get timing ect. right on this or is all that not a big deal as long as you use a quality wire? I don't want to spend $300 right now, but I also don't want to waste $50 or $80 and the time involved if it's not going to work.

Thanks

·
Registered
307 Posts
I haven't done that for VGA but I'd planned to do that when I got my HD satellite receiver. I use a breakout for S-video (see photo in my gallery). Timing issues are not that difficult to avoid. If you use a 5 coax bundle, it's easy. If you use 5 individual coaxes, use the cable jacket marking and try to get them as close as possible to equal length.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
while I haven't made my own VGA breakout cable, I have made my own component and RGBHV Cables using Canare and Belden 1694a and 1695a cabling using Canare crimp tools. The only consideration you'll have to make is how to cram those large cables into the HD15 connector. The pins are very close to each other and most companies seem to use a thinner, compact cable in order to wire all the pins. Other than that it shouldn't be too difficult to construct. Although you will need some basic soldering tools.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all who have commented on this. For the benifit of those finding this later and wanting to know what happened. I went totally cheap to start with. I install satellites so I used what was easily available to me. I used the short cable I had and made extensions with RG-6. Not even a good one for this purpose, copper center but aluminum sheild (aparrrently a no-no for any DIY cables) and to top it off I terminated the ends with brass F- connectors and some cheap F to BNC adapters $1.00 apiece. The result, The Horiz Synch apparently needs more than the rest cause it barely worked sometimes blank screen sometimes wavy distortion, I replaced that one with a different shorter cable 25' instead of 50' and all is perfect. So step two is to buy some decent cable and ends and Get the real deal going. I probably wont post the results next time cause as well as this worked I'm sure it will too and hopefully be more durable and reliable. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask me. I've built most of my system myself with much help from reading this forum so have no problem giving back. Thanks all, B

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.