AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into making my own (or having made at Belden/Canare/Gepco) RGBHV cables from scaler to projector. By far the best cable (spec wise) I have found is the GEPCO 1100. Unfortunately, my options are limited as to connectors for this since it is RG11. I will probably settle for:

Gepco VSD2001

Belden 1694A

I have decided against Canare due to low velocity of propogation and higher capacitance.

I also understand that making sharp bends in video cables is undesirable and can cause issues with the signal. In order to minimize this, I am considering a Trompeter 90 degree BNC connector. Has anybody used this connector or are you aware of any other high quality BNC angled connector that might perform better? Are there any issues with this type of connector?

Would I be better off to just use a few extra feet of 1100 and make a gradual 180 degree bend back to my PJ and use standard Kings or Canare connectors?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The belden cable also has better shielding than the Canare coax.

use extra cable and go with a gradual curve rather than extra connections. Even though the Belden has the capacity (RL headroom)to handle it why take chances and risk degrading the signal. Plus the cost of extra connectors.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Magster, I was not considering using an additional connector. Trompeter makes a 90degree BNC connector as one piece. Looks like Kings does too.

I was just wondering about the internal construction of a 90 degree connector and whether there was any degradation in comparison to a straight through BNC.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
6MHz for what, 480p?

I will be using this for 720p, 1080i, and possibly 960p.

·
Registered
30 Posts
At the very most you will need 50Mhz. That will give you plenty of headroom for the 36 Mhz required by a 1080i signal.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, I have seen ratings suggesting as high as 100 MHz. I have also seen recommendations for double the required bandwidth to allow for headroom (60MHz for a clean 30MHz signal to pass.) 720p and 960p are both more data dense than 1080i.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.