AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo ; I'm looking to utilize my many exotic hardwoods and umpteen years craftsmanship knowledge to build a pair of front tower speakers .

I've built and just rebuilt my #4 floor 3 ways and need input as too tower

design component match up info .

Any suggestions ?. Thanks LC ...

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCarbon /forum/post/16949930

Yo ; I'm looking to utilize my many exotic hardwoods and umpteen years craftsmanship knowledge to build a pair of front tower speakers .

I've built and just rebuilt my #4 floor 3 ways and need input as too tower

design component match up info .

Any suggestions ?. Thanks LC ...

any pics for that other build?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
penngray ; No I built those so many years ago ,way WAY before Electronic cameras.

Their simply a ported box design of 4.2 C Ft.

15/16" inch solid Brazilian Rose wood ( Heavy Suckers ) no ply or MDF.

Dual Piezo tweeters twin 8" mid range horns a 12" bang-olufsen woofer.

I made them nearly 40 years ago . Sound is " full range " and filling .

I did replace the old funky crossovers and speaker terminals

( They rotted off ) also replaced nasty fiberglass insulation with sound foam

seemed to Deepen the base some what .

Not nearly as impressive as my pair of Altec lansing VoT series ( Original

late 60's vintage speakers ) . Those are Massive and work extremely well for

music or Large area or room also Power Hungry .

Not what I now need for front tower HTiB speakers .

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
If you are trying to build some speakers to use with a HTIB ( horrible trinket in a box ) system, you may want to find out what kind of power it puts out, the bandwidth of each channel, as well as the minimum impedance it will drive.

There is no point to build a tower that has good response down to say 35 hz if the reciever / player combo castrates the signal above that. Also, there may be built in 'eq' on each channel.

Just some things to watch out for if that is your intention.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is my intent and yes it does have EQ per channel 8 ohm 130 watts per channel .

I would like to have " Fuller " sound up front everything else is OK .

I'm now adjusting the EQ for center and fronts , yet I still believe they'll

fall short of expectations . Large room vaulted open beam ceilings

and L shaped great room isn't exactly " Studio central " for acoustics .

I got help from my main man on sound engineering as far as components

selections and cross overs . He then turned me on to a design program

which puts package together including carcasses necessary for proper sound reproduction .

I appreciate everyone's input as my friend is BUSY and has little spare time

to show a rookie everything you need to know in an hour !!!.

ACE Yamaha JBL SI and others Needs him on their projects Full time !.

So I'm at the mercy and wisdom of those of you who KNOW the ins and outs of Audio Land .

Again ; Thank You , LC ...

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I am guessing that this is a pretty large room, based on the 'vaulted' ceiling comment. If all you want to do is to build yourself some tower speakers to get a bit more full sound, you can certainly take a look at some of the kits on the market, but we still don't know if your unit will drive them adequately.

Is there pre-amp outputs on it? Is there any documentation to say what the factory speaker nominal impedance is?

Dollar for dollar, changing the room will have the most profound difference in the sound vs anything else, that is if you can change anything about the room. ( not sure about residential situation et al. )

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry it took so long to get back ; Education on Sound Systems from SI and Audio Composite Engineering ( ACE ) .

Now have Design CAD program to assist me in cabinet requirements per component selections .

( Not my field didn't even know there were these types of programs available )

I use AutoCad so I should be OK now that I've been " Educated " on Component selection process of do's and don'ts

michael hurd ; 8 Ohm 130 Watts per channel X 7 Sub is powered separately and surprisingly it Works JUST FINE at less than half rating . 250 Watt continuous I believe is what it's rated for .

80 HZ is where it's set and is doing a marvelous job .

NO Change of interior would benefit as my ceilings are vaulted and really tall at the peaks 14-16 Ft. Open beam all Wood sheathing large volume rooms

create a " Great Room " . My old system worked well because of my OLD speakers Yet it was 19 years old Pioneer Amp ( Not really Surround Sound )

Synthesized Dolby with effects Stadium, echo ,Etc.

Now Onkyo 6100 replaced it and I like it , it's weak on dialog Center and Fronts need to become " Fuller " Richer sounding " . The Surrounds and backs are OK for now any way, later Well who knows I may just build it all new depending on out come of Front Towers .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Those are good suggestions jnporter. The man did say he has umpteen years craftsman experience though, I'm guessing he can do better with a full DIY cabinet.

Looks like the Onkyo 6100 uses what is basically an also sold separately Onkyo receiver. That should be good news for using different speakers, as the receiver is less likely to have been custom made to only work with the included speakers.

You will probably want to build front towers and a matching center. The reason being that you will want the tonality of the center to match the mains. Imagine if a character walks across the screen and the dialog pans from left to center to right, you don't want the voice to sound noticeably different while it is coming from the center.

If you don't want to mess with designing your own crossover, one of the many pre-designed diy speakers is a great way to go. htguide and zaphaudio are a couple good resources for those. Have a look around here and those other places for what other people have built and are building. Hopefully you can get an idea for what you might like to try.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I figure fronts L & R need be full tone 3 way 55-30K HZ Woofer Mid range Tweeter simple 3K HZ cross over .

Center need only be 2 way 80-10K HZ 3K cross over , 2# Woofers 5.25"

woofers range 55- 7-8 K HZ With Mid range 5.25 - 6" say up to 15 K HZ .

That should cover dialog just fine as everything is 8 Ohm I can fill the rest

in later with 2 way book shelf . The Spk. units Onkyo provides may be fine

for a smaller set up / sound field is FAR BELOW my acoustical needs .

Any thing wrong with that scenario seeing as my powered Sub works

wonderfully and does " Fill " the room . Onkyo uses a slightly higher powered

version of ? or a scaled back 807 ?.

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...ss=Systems&p=s

Please feel welcome to pipe in on Spks selection as I'm a Novice .

This is Primarily for DVD as I have Stereo Speakers which my friend tells me

to JUST USE THOSE for the back and surrounds . I really want to keep it

separate , although finances may dictate other wise .

LC ...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To rich for my pockets as I do enjoying eating and having some other forms of recreation along with fuel in my vehicles .

I had in mind a nice set of 3 way components for tower speaker design for say $300 -400 component cost or less for the pair .

I don't intend to join the millions who are now realizing the payments on their mortgages are more than the worth of their investment !!!!!!!!!!!.

I also don't need more than 150 Watt max input nor do I need to shake the windows . I've got that covered already .

Simple modest components preferably packaged as a group but not totally necessary for towers and a center channel speaker .

5.25" full range woofers 55-7K HZ mid range 5-20K HZ aluminum

tweeters . Fronts # 2 woofers # 1 midrange and tweeter each , Center

either $2 woofers and a center mounted mid range or #2 woofers and a

dome tweeter same configuration . 3K HZ crossovers for 3 way circuit. #1 2 way for center channel

88-92 Db sensitivity Am I dreaming or can it be done ?. I've got everything else including grill cloth even have the finishes on hand .

LC ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts