AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon All... I'm thinking of installing my own security system (I currently have SimpliSafe). My main concern home security w/ smoke detector (wireless). I would also like the potential to future proof it, with the ability to have some home automation (lights, video) options. But again, my main concern is Security. The previous owner had wired connections to every entry point, curious to know if they can still be connected if purchasing a new controller. With that said, my questions:
1) what control panel and controller would you recommend? I have been told HoneyWell LYNX or TUXEDO
2) I plan to shop around for monitoring company to save some $, but I have heard that HoneyWell charges for their total connect (if I eventually wanted the home automation features). Is there anyway to bypass that? I'm fairly computer savy.

Any recommendations on basic alarm system/panel/controller? Again, not looking to break the bank.

THANKS IN ADVANCE for all your input.

·
Registered
27,310 Posts
I use a Honeywell 21-IP panel and Tuxedo Touch. The system works well and is very reliable. Love it. Just installed the latest software for the Tuxedo and it now supports the new Linear Garage Door opener ($94) - and it is bulletproof with immediate feedback on garage door opening and closing and it's status. You can even work in 'scenes' with it. I cannot believe how well it works. I use the Yale ZWAVE lock and it too is very reliable.

I have Total Connect. It provides a very slick app interface that goes beyond the Tuxedo. I think it is a great value. To get some control of your Tuxedo, you could get a DDNS account and port forward to your Tuxedo's IP address. You get light, security and HVAC control. However, you cannot control scenes this way. With TC, you get far more controls, ability to make and control scenes and all the security features. Once you have it, you'll realize you need it. I have about 25-30 ZWAVE devices on my Tuxedo and it is great. I'm soon going to add a second Tuxedo. You can make many scenes in the Tuxedo, however but cannot control them unless you at the panel. Even with TC, you cannot control those internal scenes BUT you can make many more scenes within TC and control them as well.

Also, it is all easy to program.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use a Honeywell 21-IP panel and Tuxedo Touch. The system works well and is very reliable. Love it. Just installed the latest software for the Tuxedo and it now supports the new Linear Garage Door opener ($94) - and it is bulletproof with immediate feedback on garage door opening and closing and it's status. You can even work in 'scenes' with it. I cannot believe how well it works. I use the Yale ZWAVE lock and it too is very reliable.

I have Total Connect. It provides a very slick app interface that goes beyond the Tuxedo. I think it is a great value. To get some control of your Tuxedo, you could get a DDNS account and port forward to your Tuxedo's IP address. You get light, security and HVAC control. However, you cannot control scenes this way. With TC, you get far more controls, ability to make and control scenes and all the security features. Once you have it, you'll realize you need it. I have about 25-30 ZWAVE devices on my Tuxedo and it is great. I'm soon going to add a second Tuxedo. You can make many scenes in the Tuxedo, however but cannot control them unless you at the panel. Even with TC, you cannot control those internal scenes BUT you can make many more scenes within TC and control them as well.

Thanks for the info, very informative... Question, what do you do for monitoring? Self monitor? I'm conflicted as to self monitor or have a monitoring company. Also, with your setup, assuming if internet is down you loose the alarm monitoring correct? Can you add a cellular chip in to the Vista20IP and if so, would it conflict with internet?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for the info, very informative... Question, what do you do for monitoring? Self monitor? I'm conflicted as to self monitor or have a monitoring company. Also, with your setup, assuming if internet is down you loose the alarm monitoring correct? Can you add a cellular chip in to the Vista20IP and if so, would it conflict with internet?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
27,310 Posts
Hi, I do have a third-party doing my monitoring for me. In case of an emergency I want somebody to be able to call the police. You can get alarm monitoring from alarmgrid.com for pretty cheap. Regarding Wi-Fi being down, it won't affect the scenes in your Tuxedo as it will work within via the Wi-Fi signal in the house whether there's a communication to the outside world or not. However you won't be able to control light switches, thermostats, garage door openers, etc. until the Internet is back up and working. However I do have a cell dialer installed in my panel so that in case the Internet is out, I can still control the alarm settings either arming for disarming.

·
Registered
27,310 Posts
Here are some screen shots from my total connect app. Thermostats, switches, scenes.

Jeff

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are some screen shots from my total connect app. Thermostats, switches, scenes.

Jeff
Thanks, that sounds like the way to go. Screen shots look great very intuitive. Another question - I've read that the Tuxedo Panel lags a little on input, do you find that or is it very quick? Also regarding the wiring, is there a website or are the manuals pretty straight forward? Again, I'm fairly computer/tech savvy, just need to "get the concept" and I'll be good. Thanks again!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks, that sounds like the way to go. Screen shots look great very intuitive. Another question - I've read that the Tuxedo Panel lags a little on input, do you find that or is it very quick? Also regarding the wiring, is there a website or are the manuals pretty straight forward? Again, I'm fairly computer/tech savvy, just need to "get the concept" and I'll be good.

Also, do you find yourself using the Tuxedo often or mainly your smartphone? I ask because i'm debating whether to go the 21iP + Tuxedo route or the 21iP + Vista Automation Module (VAM) and regular 6160 keypad.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
27,310 Posts
Sorry, but you need the Tuxedo for Total Connect (TC). I have a couple 6160s around the house and they do nothing other than arm and disarm. No way to use zwave devices without the Tuxedo. Get the Tuxedo and then get TC if you find using the Tuxedo's interface (via its IP) is not giving you enough control.

All zwave products have a lag. Maybe a few seconds on lights, locks, etc. I don't find it a problem at all. I run about 30 scenes between the ones on TC and the ones on the Tuxedo.

Really great stuff and reliable. I have one scene where when you enter the kitchen before sunrise, the motion detector trips on the lights to a low dim so you can see. When you open the garage door, a second light turns on in the garage for more light and if guests leave the house late at night after the landscape lights and perimeter lights are off, opening the front door turns all on for 15 min. At 9 PM every day, if the garage door is open, the system closes it (in case I forgot to do do so). Possibilities are endless and fun.

Easy to program and I have no computer experience. Many video tutorials at alarmgrid.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another avenue that someone mentioned was going with VERAedge/plus or Smarthings hub vs. the Tuxedo as a ZWave controller. I was liking the route THEBLAND mentioned, but then started reading a little about the other two options and how they have more compatibility vs. the Tuxedo. But on the flip side, I will then have two separate systems ALARM via Honeywell and the VERAedge/Smartthings vs. just going through the Honeywell app for everything.

·
Registered
27,310 Posts
Keep things in one system.

As a side note, the the Tuxedo has voice commands. At bedtime, I just say 'Bedtime' and it automatically sets the alarm, locks the doors, turns off the lights, lowers the T-Stats, closes garage door (if open)... Awesome.

In the morning, I say 'Wake Up' and it disarms alarm, turns on some lights to guide me from my bedroom to the kitchen (if it is dark outside).
'
Having things in one system where alarm integrates with control makes life easier (and for better control).

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have to agree. I have TC and Tuxedos also. Works great. Has great wife and kid approval. I have 4 cameras also connected and all operate from one app.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts

Thanks again!
I prefer self monitoring. Why pay someone else? With EYEZON.COM (and the envisalink card which fits DSC and Honeywell alarm panels) you can have up to 5 cell phones connected to your (free acct). With five different cell phones the chances of someone not being available to call police/fire are pretty slim. You have full access to running logs, which logs all zone activity regardless of whether the alarm is active. Full alarm control and some (limited) z wave control.

I did not opt for cell back up with my internet connection..... didn't see the sense. Eyezon.com sends you a text if the alarm goes off line for more than 5 minutes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts