AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some ideas about our new home. The builder is letting me do the low voltage wiring though-out the home. My plan do in-wall 7.1 sound in the main floor great room, a whole house audio system (6-Zones) for the bed rooms, deck etc.... We are building a 2400 sq ft ranch, with a in-law suite in the basement. My original plan was to put the equipment into a stereo rack in the great room, so it would be a stereo receiver, with zones 2 & 3 for the whole house audio, along with a Synology NAS to play music (mp3's), Blue Ray/DVD player and media player. But, thinking about all this equipment/wiring is making me second guess myself. So, my other ideas where to use a closet just off the great room or run everything for an area in my basement. The closet is close by, but I'd be worried about ventilating. The basement gives me the ability to expand when time comes for the remaining area in the basement, I would like to add-on to the whole house audio. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I would agree it seems that the basement location would be ideal. If you're talking about 6 zones of audio off the bat, I would be looking more towards a true WHA system vs using zones 2/3 of your AV receiver, which can be quite a few pieces of equipment. My ~1500 sq ft ranch with very modest AV distribution (3 U-Verse receivers, router, switch, 2 NuVo P200's, NAS, IR distribution, HDMI splitter for rarely used displays, etc) takes up most of a full rack in the basement.

Good luck,
Matt

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking into a system from HTD for WHA, 6 Zones/6 Sources and be able to expand Zones to 12 down the road. Any input for IR distribution?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Any input for IR distribution?
For what?

If you're going to remotely locate your AV gear for a display setup, many of the HDMI extenders (including the HDBaseT ones) will include IR repeating.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be used if I put my stereo receiver, media player, cable box etc.. in the basement. I'm not sure on the distance at this time, just started looking it this.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
To be used if I put my stereo receiver, media player, cable box etc.. in the basement. I'm not sure on the distance at this time, just started looking it this.
Run multiple cat6 wires per potential display location, plus an RG6 coax.

HDBaseT extenders, or other 2-cable HDMI extenders, will handle IR repeating as part of their solution.

Do some serious reading in the Home AV Distribution forum two up from here...

Reactions: johnstonk

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I used the Monoprice IR Extender Kits, separate from my HDMI Extension/baluns (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011009&p_id=9895&seq=1&format=2). I too originally planned on using an extra cat 5e cable that I had pulled to each location for the IR extension, and I've done that before, but I ended up spending the $5 each and pulling a 50' or 75' 3.5mm extension cable to each display location (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021808&p_id=652&seq=1&format=2). Really happy with the results.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking at just doing the IR from the basement to Great Room, one TV and running long HDMI cable for the video. But looking at the HDMI extention I may want to at least wire for them, then I can add them later.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For the Whole House Audio speakers to each room, should the 14/4 stop at the keypad then run 14/2 to each speaker? Or could I run the 14/4 by the key pad, then 14/2 from one speaker to the other.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Run the 14/4 to the keypad location, cut it there and leave a small service loop. Then splice in 14/2's to each speaker. Take plenty of pictures with labels/reference points of your work before drywall goes up.

Reactions: johnstonk

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Or could I run the 14/4 by the key pad, then 14/2 from one speaker to the other.
Yeah if you don't plan to install keypads and therefore would just have blank plates, I'd do what you suggest so there's no inaccessible splicing in the wall.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah if you don't plan to install keypads and therefore would just have blank plates, I'd do what you suggest so there's no inaccessible splicing in the wall.
I'm planning on having keypads, my biggest worry is not running a line that I will need. Thanks for the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts