AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHo is out there in the GTA? I'd be interested to hear a horn tweeter based system...or perhaps a 15" DIY sub, or both

if you're ok with an avs stranger in your home, let me know.

Ben

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I have jbl 8340's as mains and quad 18" IB.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I'm in the GTA (North York) as well, and I have custom dual 12" subs on the from Funky Waves Audio on the way. I would love to hear some DIY speakers and subs as well. Maybe we can plan a GTG.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benareeno /forum/post/20822838

what part of Toronto are you in Jesse?? And, don't you have an XGLC crt projector too?

West end (Etobicoke). Yep, XGLC135.

Send me a PM

·
Registered
8,215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 /forum/post/20823595

I'm in the GTA (North York) as well, and I have custom dual 12" subs on the from Funky Waves Audio on the way. I would love to hear some DIY speakers and subs as well. Maybe we can plan a GTG.

Problem for most of us is portability. I.e., each of my subs probably weighs some 120+lbs each, and the amp alone weighs another 70lbs. So a PIA to lug around.

Though, if you ever did build that theater you were talking about a couple years back, I just may lug my subs to your place some way, some how!

Jesse - well, he probably has a slightly larger issue with bringing his "sub" to GTGs.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Yeah, true story pbc! What kind of DIY subs have you built? I would help in anyway I can if there was a GTG. I'm a pretty strong fellow.

I'm working towards opening my own commercial theater where performance is of the highest priority. I'm tired of going to underwhelming cinematic presentations, and I'm not even paying for admission since I'm a critic. Once the capital is together, I'm going forward. For now, I'm working on some other projects.

I think having a thread like this is a great idea. It's good for the GTA audio-heads (I hate the term audiophile!) to know where each other is.

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
See the link in my thread, dual, dual opposed AV15H's in sealed boxes. I think I literally got the last 4 or so of the AV15's before the issues started...

There is a GTA GTG audio thread somewhere on this forum. I can never find it though.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Could you provide a link? Signatures don't show up on my phone and I'm on my way to work.

You lucky bastard!

Hmmm... I'll try a google search to see what I can find.

Edit: scratch that! Found your thread.
Not the GTA GTG one though.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc /forum/post/20824250

Problem for most of us is portability. I.e., each of my subs probably weighs some 120+lbs each, and the amp alone weighs another 70lbs. So a PIA to lug around.

Though, if you ever did build that theater you were talking about a couple years back, I just may lug my subs to your place some way, some how!

Jesse - well, he probably has a slightly larger issue with bringing his "sub" to GTGs.

Ya it's probably too heavy to move. But if anyone wanted to bring their sub over to compare that'd be fine. I can't think of any sub that would fare well against four 18" Avalanche drivers though

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Benareeno...still not buying it huh?

I understand. Horn mains are a little bit against the mainstream grain. Unfortunately that means they will be hard to find in someone's home.

One possibility is to go to a Guitar Center (I don't know if there is a Canadian equivalent) and audition or even buy a pair of PA speakers that will work similarly. I'd suggest the QSC K8. It is a similar configuration to the XD120 setup suggested in your other thread. You could basically "rent" them by returning them for a full credit shortly after auditioning them...not that I would condone that. Just ask about the return policy up front.

·
Registered
144 Posts
FWIW, you could rent something from Long & McQuade fairly cheaply for say a week to audition... I think EV makes a Unity Horn based speaker that I remember seeing there.

I've also rented a few big amps from them for parties

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went to Jesse's and thought he his theater sounded really good...and the low end is the best I've ever heard...period.

I still question the musicality of the upper end of a horn tweeter setup...but more often than not, I was very pleased with what I was hearing. It would definitely require a longer in house demo...Anyone selling a set of e-waves?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.