AVS Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7.1 - 2x V.B.S.S / 3x 1099s / Klipsch Side&Rears
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Haven't done too much lately. Kinda waiting for paint to cure before doing port install, and waiting on crossover install before completion.
Hopefully by this weekend, I'll have all I need to do that. :)

In the meantime.. I did my ear height measurement and built some platforms for the L&R channels.
Nothing special, just some 3/4" ply, and 2x2s cut and glued up.
I did fill and sand them pretty well (as ply edges kinda, suck? haha)

I'll be priming and painting them black.. this evening probably.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well here they are!
All 3, built up, tested.. and functional. :D **(the stands for L&R, and console to house center is still in progress/paint drying, so this is temp setup)
I'm still gonna have to give them a good testing/run through.. but first impressions?
I'm very, very happy with them. Instruments and music all come across very clearly, and quite detailed.
I've been listening to some planar nicer headphones at work lately, so I didn't expect to really be surprised at the clarity.. but I am.

Movie review will have to some at a later date.

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions.. helped me out, and gave me advice over the last month or so.
I really appreciate ya!
Especially Erich, I pestered him a bit, and he was always pleasant.

Thanks guys. :)
I'm off to listen more.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Did a bit of playing in REW, and looks pretty good as far as I know.
Any guesses as to the dip at ~600hz?

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Gotcha. I'd measure again with them off the stands. I haven't done the math (there are calculators out there for this) but it seems that this dip could be in the range of floor bounce (reflection off the floor cancelling the main path).

Found a calculator: Floor Bounce

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hm.. that puts it at about 207hz according to calculator.. I will have to take more measurements.
Of just left, just right.. on stands, off stands.
REW and mic is obviously the answer.. I'm just being lazy. lol
I appreciate the advice. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Ya, I made sure to turn off the mid range compensation (I forget the affected frequencies also.. was it ~1KHz? hmm..) ha
Thanks though, good thing to ensure is done.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Haven't done any more REW testing. Still at work finishing the TV stand/center cabinet. Nearly have it assembled now.
Taking my time on the center cavity, as I want it as close to perfect/flush fit as I can.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Got the tv stand built up, and glued. Seems to have came out nearly perfect (lucky), now to finish priming/sanding/painting.. and I'll be done!
I expect this part to take a while, mostly due to all the surfaces to cover/sand/repeat. Realistically.. I don't expect to be finished until mid next week.
I'm pretty excited though, I think this will turn out real nice. :) I'm glad I didn't just buy a low profile one, and went with a custom with cutout.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
A couple layers of priming/sanding and a couple layers of paint later.. and not too bad! (still drying thus the shiny spots yet... which speaking of.. idk how long behr ultra needs to cure..hmm)

There are certain spots that aren't perfect.. but if I can barely see them with my studio lighting in the garage.. I'm sure it'll be fine in the basement. :)

Next update will be final setup/pics I'll take with an actual camera. ;)

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Great job!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Still waiting on paint to cure.. and it's killing me. haha
Got the stand moved indoors to the guest room with a fan running. (due to the cold weather recently)
Most places I've read seem like 2-3 weeks for latex paint to cure.. so I'll do my best to be patient until then.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts