AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
science has shown again and again that people are easely biased and the ear cannot be trusted. iv purchased several speakers with raving reviews all across the internet, i complimented them myself but later relized some of them were outright terrible.
your starting to sound like a subjetivist that make up excuses for the bad data.

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
As the old advertising slogan goes, They Aren't For Everyone. The corollary is that it doesn't matter what those a product is not for might think about it.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
There are so many variables to consider in speaker selection. I'm often asked what my go-to speaker is. I respond that I know nothing about their room, lifestyle requirements, expectations, and even personal variables such as age-related hearing deterioration, etc.. Of course all of those immensely affect the choice and outcome. I find the DIYSG approach of using PA components tamed for a more residential environment with crossover design pretty interesting and effective in some rooms for some folks (and budgets). I contend that they are particularly useful in larger rooms with longer throws. Enough output and dynamic capability in such a room has its challenges, priorities,...and compromises. That's a reality. It either fits us or it doesn't. Another nice thing about DIYSG is that they have had several designs that permit flexibility to choose what model may work best for the particular room and customer.

A thorough test such as Erin does and shares is woefully rare in the world of manufactured speakers (not to mention DIY speakers)...and enables us all to make better informed decisions. I certainly welcome and appreciate them.

EDIT PS: I'm no speaker designer, but the 1099 looks like a speaker that would be very complicated to make work with smooth dispersion and response...with its many drivers and orientations (some vertical, some horizontal).

·
Registered
891 Posts
science has shown again and again that people are easely biased and the ear cannot be trusted. iv purchased several speakers with raving reviews all across the internet, i complimented them myself but later relized some of them were outright terrible.
your starting to sound like a subjetivist that make up excuses for the bad data.
The data is what it is. Every speaker design consists of trade-offs. I don't want hifi speakers in my home theater if it means an inability to play cleanly at reference level. I don't care about missing bass response that can easily be filled in by my subwoofers. I use an AT screen so the 1099 would not be my first choice, but for someone who needs a matching horizontal center and wants an easily driven, high output speaker, they are a very viable option. I believe the 1099s have done well in some blind comparisons, so the measurements are not the last word. Which is not to minimize the helpfulness of such measurements. It would be tough, probably impossible, to find any speaker in the same price range that checks every box.

·
Registered
282 Posts
science has shown again and again that people are easily biased and the ear cannot be trusted........
I was born hard of hearing due to complications as a kid, I play a ton of instruments, mix music, create music...etc I just love audio. What others have said sounds good/amazing to them doesn't always to me, same with video as I've yet to see a projector that I go whoa, I want this - I just prefer TV's. Hell even my TV (X900H) has 'terrible HDR' brightness and the test results show this, but holy balls is the TV blinding with white HDR scenes, it's worlds above my old TV.

Varity is the spice of life: Music, Art, TVs, Shoes, Food, Vehicles...etc we have options to pick from as there is no one thing that everyone loves and likes no matter what the data shows. Know how many people think COVID is a hoax with scientific facts hanging in front of them.... LOL

Not saying my speakers 1099's are the best for others but for what I paid for them, the journey/experience of building them and the overall sound upgrade I got from the speakers they replaced? I can honestly say I love em but I don't except everyone to.

·
Registered
19,880 Posts
Erin, what speakers have you measured that you consider high fidelity? Probably the JBL 708? Do the high fidelity speakers play loud enough for reference level playback in a typical room. To me that is the ultimate goal, high fidelity, reference levels, but crossed to a sub system for movies obviously.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
I don't think any of the DIYSG speakers have ever advertised themselves at being high-fidelity, have they? That's a genuine question.
Titan
“I'd say this is one of the if not the best sounding speakers I have ever designed and easily the best example I have made for commercial cinema meets Hi-Fi, taking only the best parts of each.”

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
The pattern continues and sheds some light on why there are few listening impressions posted by owners. Thanks for all your work Erin.
absolutely not true at all. the reviews on the 1099 are glowing..thats why so many have them.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
With all due respect, Erin's opinion is Erin's opinion. Nothing more or nothing less.
agreed..I love mine and will have them for a long time.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Of course. That's the entire reason I provide data instead of just doing what all the other reviewers do and blab on and on about butter and chocolate and bumblebees and grapefruit.
I appreciate the objective review (and subjective part too).

it gave me all the info I needed. I don't have any more buyer's remorse. I didn't build high efficiency speakers for my theater, though the HTM-12 v2 may convince me to give it a shot in the future...

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
Erin, what speakers have you measured that you consider high fidelity? Probably the JBL 708? Do the high fidelity speakers play loud enough for reference level playback in a typical room. To me that is the ultimate goal, high fidelity, reference levels, but crossed to a sub system for movies obviously.
Erin can answer for himself, but right off the top of my head. He liked the Dutch and Dutch 8c, Revel F226Be, Selah Purezza and Philharmonic BMR. The BMRs have a large following over in the speaker forum. I should note that those speakers run from over $10k to around $1500 for the BMRs.

Floyd Toole said he crosses his Revels to subs in his video with Erin.

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
I always wondered if you really could get "hi-fi" quality sound at the efficiency design these speakers are made for. Makes me also wonder if any commercial designs get there as well. It would be interesting to see how the 1099, HTM compare to something like the JTR Noesis 210.
I forgot to reply to this. How much do you want to spend? Go to Cedia and you will find speakers that combine great sound and get loud. Alcons, JBL M2s, Wisdom to name a few.

I realize those speakers cost a lot of money, but my friend Mike Garrett of AVScience built his own speakers with Beyma and Acoustic Elegance drivers. His total cost wasn't bad for what he received in return. Mike tells me that after every Cedia that he hears speakers that sound as good as his, but nothing that sounds better.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Titan
“I'd say this is one of the if not the best sounding speakers I have ever designed and easily the best example I have made for commercial cinema meets Hi-Fi, taking only the best parts of each.”
I don't want to step on toes but you quoted the creator not the DIYSG product page? Unless I am blind then sorry!

My kid draws a family picture and we hang it on the fridge, well I look like a melting marshmallow that has survived 27 strokes but my kid thinks it is the best thing he has ever done (so far) so I think it's fair to assume that people that put their heart into their projects and stand by them is fair.

Apple wouldn't have turned cellphone sales around if Steve jobs thought his own iPhone was mediocre.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I forgot to reply to this. How much do you want to spend? Go to Cedia and you will find speakers that combine great sound and get loud. Alcons, JBL M2s, Wisdom to name a few.

I realize those speakers cost a lot of money, but my friend Mike Garrett of AVScience built his own speakers with Beyma and Acoustic Elegance drivers. His total cost wasn't bad for what he received in return. Mike tells me that after every Cedia that he hears speakers that sound as good as his, but nothing that sounds better.
I guess…. It depends…

id want fidelity in the arena of 1500-2000 per pair bookshelves like a Sierra 2ex, ls50/R3, BMR, but in a high efficiency design…. Or, I’d spend the extra to get that level of fidelity and high efficiency if it was a bit above that but DIY.

DIYSG, historical hasn’t moved a lot of kits in that type of price point. Hence my curiosity about where the fidelity is at the price point they hit…. Maybe there isn’t a middle ground between DIYSG high efficiency designs, and an M2. I have no idea, lol! But fun to try and figure out. The measurements are key though to know how to compare so many speakers when you can’t personally listen to each!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Erin can answer for himself, but right off the top of my head. He liked the Dutch and Dutch 8c, Revel F226Be, Selah Purezza and Philharmonic BMR. The BMRs have a large following over in the speaker forum. I should note that those speakers run from over $10k to around $1500 for the BMRs.

Floyd Toole said he crosses his Revels to subs in his video with Erin.
none of these are efficient enough to meet the reqs.
maybe new Danley stuff. rumors are Erin may get a scoop;)

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
I think the difference is there isn't a lot of DIY speakers that focus on high efficiency first. These DIYSG speakers would cost a lot more in finished form sold through a retailer.

Maybe someone could design a Danley knock off with inexpensive drivers that achieve good fidelity and efficiency.

41 - 60 of 105 Posts