AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just finished with an upgrade of my system and I think I might be done. But one last upgrade might be in order.

A few months ago I had the following system (excluding sources):

Integra DHC-40.1
Emotiva XPA-5
SVS CS-Ultra/Adcom GFA-555
Paradigm Studio 100 v4
Paradigm Studio CC-690 v4
Paradigm Studio ADP-590 v5

Now I still have the Paradigm's but have upgraded the other components:

Emotiva XMC-1
Crown XLS2000 (three)
Two DIY sealed SI HST-18's/Crown XLS2000(two, mono-bridged)

My goal was to get cleaner, punchier bass, cleaner dialog, better dynamics soundstage and imaging. The improvement was substantial. My listening habits with this system were 100% movies, 0% music - mostly because the sound quality for music in my headphone rig was so much better than with the HT system, I just couldn't enjoy the music. But I do miss the visceral impact you get with speakers that is absent with headphones. Now that my system sounds much better, I have a renewed interest in music through the HT system.

Originally, I was thinking that 1099's were definitely in my future. But my current system is sounding pretty darn good. There are two things on my mind that I am really having trouble with:

a) People really rave about the 1099's, my curiosity is at a peak; and

b) I should be able to easily sell my current speakers to pay for the 1099 kits (and probably Volt 10's). But therein lies the rub - exchanging $6,600 worth of Paradigm speakers for $1,600 worth of DIY kits, and expecting an upgrade, seems like an insane expectation.

So this is my call to people who have heard the Paradigms and 1099's to speak up. I'd love to get some feedback on what differences I might expect to hear between the two speaker systems.

And I should note that SPL with my current system is no problem at all. The Paradigms play plenty loud and I haven't even come close to clipping the Crown's. So the high sensitivity of the 1099's doesn't mean anything to me.

Anxious to hear the opinions!

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Anxious to hear the opinions!
Here's mine FWIW.

You have a really nice setup. Upgrading it is no easy task. The 1099s are a great speaker, I'm truly a proud papa. BUT the paradigms (I haven't heard) are very likely also a great speaker and as proud as I am, I won't pretend the 1099 is the be all and end all. The 1099 very likely could be better. But considering you don't need more SPL and you like what you're hearing, I'd be hesitant to advise you to sell your paradigms. What I would suggest is possibly hearing the 1099 in some way. Whether you drive to some place to hear it, or even buy 1 center channel and build it. You'd be out a maximum a $500 building one and could sell it if you didn't like it. And if you can hear the 1099 you'll either know it's worth upgrading or it's not. If it's not worth the upgrade you'll never have the nagging feeling of "could it be better". That's the only way to cure that bug in your brain. Hear them some way.

If you had some HTIB or a basic rig of some kind I'd confidently tell you it's an upgrade, but that just wouldn't be true in your case. You gotta find out for youself.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's mine FWIW.

You have a really nice setup. Upgrading it is no easy task. The 1099s are a great speaker, I'm truly a proud papa. BUT the paradigms (I haven't heard) are very likely also a great speaker and as proud as I am, I won't pretend the 1099 is the be all and end all. The 1099 very likely could be better. But considering you don't need more SPL and you like what you're hearing, I'd be hesitant to advise you to sell your paradigms. What I would suggest is possibly hearing the 1099 in some way. Whether you drive to some place to hear it, or even buy 1 center channel and build it. You'd be out a maximum a $500 building one and could sell it if you didn't like it. And if you can hear the 1099 you'll either know it's worth upgrading or it's not. If it's not worth the upgrade you'll never have the nagging feeling of "could it be better". That's the only way to cure that bug in your brain. Hear them some way.

If you had some HTIB or a basic rig of some kind I'd confidently tell you it's an upgrade, but that just wouldn't be true in your case. You gotta find out for youself.
Tux, I appreciate the honest feedback. So I guess I need two groups of people to speak up: people in metro Denver area willing to let me listen to their 1099's, or people who have heard both systems.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Tux, I appreciate the honest feedback. So I guess I need two groups of people to speak up: people in metro Denver area willing to let me listen to their 1099's, or people who have heard both systems.
I think tux has the right idea. Buy one and try center channel. If it doesn't work out you could sell the parts for a small loss.

I have heard the studio 60v5 but not studio 100. It wasn't a double blind test so this is purely subjective. The 1099 is different but not necessarily better. The 1099 is more dynamic, aggressive, and articulate. The studio are smoother , more laid back. Yes eq can fine tune speakers but the difference is significant. It would really come down to personal preference.

Guitars and drums on 1099 are really snappy and punchy. I find them just what I want. Others might find them a little too aggressive. You can eq them back a bit with your xmc. Voices are spot on.

Bass wide your studio 100 will have an edge probably. 1099 need subs for sure. For movies the 1099 are hard to beat . for music they are good but I wouldn't use them in a two channel music setup . I wouldn't describe the top end as airy or other fluff words . I liked the funk audio speakers better for music.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
I've heard Studio 100v5's on numerous occasions and had 1099's in my theater room for a couple weeks thanks to a buddy letting me borrow his and I'd gladly take the 1099's.

The Studio 100's sound pretty good until you start to turn them up louder and louder. If you watch movies at -10 or louder the 1099's are a step up and Ryan has every right to be a proud poppa as the designer.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well now is the appropriate time to close this thread. As many of you probably know from seeing my various threads, my curiosity finally got the best of me and I built 1099 LCR:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/2172569-doc-s-1099-build-thread.html

Took me a bit of work to get them dialed in correctly (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/2202089-1099-s-big-hole-mid-bass.html) but it was worth it.

Now I know what people mean when they use the term "laid back" when comparing other speakers to the likes of the 1099's, JTR's, etc. I really like the sound of my Paradigms, but these 1099's are just as good to me but in a different way. The 1099's are definitely more in your face. You feel as if the vocalists are right there in front of you, and the imaging is great. I think the soundstage with the 1099's is larger, and imaging a bit better. And there is simply no comparison at loud volumes. The 1099's really shine there.

For movies the 1099's are definitely superior, but I listen fairly close to reference levels. At moderate levels, the Paradigms are probably just as good.

If there is any criticism (or preference for the Paradigms) it's at the high end for music. I have a few high rez tracks that I like a lot, and there is a bit more nuance from the dome tweeters of the Paradigms. But the difference is so small, most people wouldn't even notice.

It's worth restating the obvious - these things are very efficient. The Crown XLS2000's that I use to power my system have 375 watts available to pump into these beasts, and I've rarely seen the -20dB lights go on, even at very loud levels. That's only 4 watts!

Anyone interested in buying a pair of Paradigm Studio 100v4's, a CC-690v4, and two ADP-590v5's? :D

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I just watched this is it! Michael Jackson bluray. With my new 1099s and I was sitting there with. Stupid big grin on my face. It was like watching it live. I don't find them to be bright At all. I posted videos on you tube of them playing. The video don't do them Justice but if for ppl that would like to see them in action.

·
Premium Member
7,270 Posts
i just watched this is it! Michael jackson bluray. With my new 1099s and i was sitting there with. Stupid big grin on my face. It was like watching it live. I don't find them to be bright at all. I posted videos on you tube of them playing. The video don't do them justice but if for ppl that would like to see them in action.
its a trap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just watched this is it! Michael Jackson bluray. With my new 1099s and I was sitting there with. Stupid big grin on my face. It was like watching it live. I don't find them to be bright At all. I posted videos on you tube of them playing. The video don't do them Justice but if for ppl that would like to see them in action.

Share a link..... Is it the video of transformers? That video looks really weird and was making me sick so I had to turn it off

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.