AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

After a few weeks of selling on my much beloved HTM-12's, I was in search for a new L C R build and narrowed my options to a couple of models. In the end I decided to go with the Elusive 1099's as my new L C R.

These are true beasts and whilst they are an extremely well designed three way speaker, they were the perfect width for my new in wall design. As some may know I had to sell on the HTM-12's not because I wasn't happy with them but because they were just too wide for what I had in mind with my new design.

Basically I am now building a new set of L C R with 18 inch subs in between each of the channels which will reside behind my acoustic transparent screen.

Below you will see some pictures of what I had to do to make the screen wall stronger in order to carry the weight of two huge subs and the new L C R when finished.

Quick rundown on what I have done so far. I cut all my MDF and prepared for the build. Monday I started gluing up the cabinets for the L C R and yesterday I was able to start and complete the build of all three crossovers. This actually took a lot longer than I had anticipated but the results were well worth it. I hope they will work and sound as good as they look :p

So, I will post some pics below for now and will try to keep on top of this thread as and when I improve in my build.

Here you will find some pictures of having to re enforce the screen wall:

Attachments

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The subs that I am still in the process of building which will sit between the L C R:

Attachments

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pictures of drivers and parts that I had delivered from DIYSG, also some pics of my crossover build:

Attachments

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The weekend was so horrible, it rained all day so I decided to stay in and crack on with the build
I managed to cut the internal dividers (table saw inside the garage) for the speaker cabinets and for extra strength, I not only used gorilla wood glue but made 9 pocket holes per piece and used 38 mm screws. I also made 9mm holes for the cables to go through into the relative sections from the crossovers to the drivers.

Attachments

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some more pics of cutting out and preparing the acoustic foam insulation. I will also be adding some Polly Fill in the mid section :

Attachments

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So today was a nice day and I thought it'd be a good idea to get the sanding out the way and prepare the speakers for painting.

By the time I had finished for the day, I realised I had spent 6 hours in the garden :eek:

When you sum it up , it works out to be 2 hours per speaker (not that bad really). So what did I do?

First off, I sanded all the speakers with 40, 60, 120, 240, 400 and 600 grit sandpaper. I took my time when doing so especially with the 40 and 60 grit as these are the most crucial part of sanding.

So after sanding I moved onto rounding over all the speakers to give it a professional look and then moved onto the cut outs at the back (speak on connection is for actually connecting the speakers to the power amp and the speaker terminal connection above it will act as a jumper for using the High Frequency Padding) which is usually accessed on the crossover board , however bringing the cable from the crossover board to the back of the speakers which will be much easier to access if I ever needed to use this feature :)

Attachments

·
Registered
601 Posts
Nice work on those cabinets. Building speakers always takes longer than expected but is well worth it. What are the subs you are using?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice work on those cabinets. Building speakers always takes longer than expected but is well worth it. What are the subs you are using?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thank you :) well I currently have 4 x 18" Ultimax in sealed cabinets which I built end of last year. These two new 18" 's are Faital Pro drivers.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
awesome....great job man.

Reactions: mkohman

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great build. Can you post a photo or two from maybe the inside of the box showing how the crossover is wired to both ports on the rear?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great build. Can you post a photo or two from maybe the inside of the box showing how the crossover is wired to both ports on the rear?
I will definitely do so when I am at that stage .. next step is to get the cabinets all painted.

I am thinking of adding some threaded inserts at the bottom of each speaker and using some rubber feet. Would you guys reccomend this? or will it be ok to place them directly on the platform ?

I am thinking of either busing these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MiCity-Speaker-Rubber-spike-pads-gray/dp/B0753CFZ1J

or these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hudson-Hi-Fi-Hemisphere-Isolation-Durometer/dp/B075KM5Y8W/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=hudson+rubber+sphere&qid=1583866366&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Which do you guys feel may be the best solution? Also will be using them for the subs too which will be sitting inbetween the LCR. Thanks :)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good afternoon all, just a few more pics of the painting process... I am happy to be finished with this stage as for me it's a very delicate process in order to get a perfect or at least, near enough perfect finish. I ended up with 3 coats of primer and 6 top coats of matt black paint. Next stage will be lining up the inside of the cabinets and cabling before finally placing in the drivers and finishing them off :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Mighty fine paint job there sir:)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just finished insulating the cabinet walls. I will also use poly fill in the middle chamber.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice build! I have the same PCB board as you and I can't find any diagrams on how to set it all up. Everything I'm finding is different. My main question is which resistors go in which slot? I'm pretty new to this stuff.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Nice build! I have the same PCB board as you and I can't find any diagrams on how to set it all up. Everything I'm finding is different. My main question is which resistors go in which slot? I'm pretty new to this stuff.

Thanks
I sent you a PM with a link to the PCB layout sheet.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Excellent build!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know if I can line these with glued down R30 insulation instead of foam? I have a whole role of it sitting in my garage. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts